Laurence (Khantipalo) Mills

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
pilgrim

Laurence (Khantipalo) Mills

Post by pilgrim »

I read in a blog that he has recently ordained as a novice, this time in a Vietnamese monastery in Australia. Anyone knows more?
Bankei

Re: Laurence (Khantipalo) Mills

Post by Bankei »

Interesting - do you have a link to the blog?

I have no further info on this sorry.

bankei
-----------------------
Bankei
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I think Laurence was staying at Quang Minh Temple (abbott: Ven Phuoc Tan) but I am not sure about any ordination. He is an old man and fairly frail now, I believe.
_/|\_
alanbamford

Post by alanbamford »

Hi. Laurence is 79 and has some signs of dementia. He did live at the Quang Mn h templ for some time and was admitted as a novice with the name Ven Minh An. Nowadays he s looked after by an old friend named Gary in hs house n the southern suburbs of Melbourne. He spends occasional perods in respite care and sometimes is looked after by a small circle of old friends and students. His physcal health is OK and his mood genrrally upbeat and mischievous. If you are in Melbourne and would like to assist please let me know. Alan
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Alan for letting us know.
Much metta for Lawrence (Khantipalo) Mills.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Its sad to see people get old!

I started off the Wiki page on Khantipalo a while back and they wanted to delete it because he wasn't a notable person. I didn't get around to doing much with it, if you have time you may like to consider updating it. Khantipalo is a pioneering western Buddhist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khantipalo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-----------------------
Bankei
heyjude

Post by heyjude »

Hi Alan Bamford, I knew Khantipalo years ago. I would be interested in helping out. Please let me know how this can be arranged.
cstepath

Post by cstepath »

Aloha Alan,

I live in Hawaii and am a former student of Laurence. Was wondering if you could give me and update about his health?

I also wanted copy of his translation of the heart sutra if it is available. Interesting to note, I was in Thailand and saw a copy of one of his book in the BKK airport bookstore and thought of him.

Cheers, Carl Stepath, Lihue, Kauai, Hawaii
Buddhapala

Post by Buddhapala »

Hi Alan,I met Ven Khantipalo in 1973, I took the Precepts with him and he gave me my Buddhist name,I have always thought a lot of him. I would be glad to help out in any way I can.

:buddha1:
j0anne1111

Post by j0anne1111 »

Hi my name is Joanne Whittaker and I am also a student and long time friend of Laurence. He is doing ok I guess and his many years of practice is helping him deal with his current predicament as well as one could hope. He is indeed in good spirits as he spends his days shuffling about the nursing home. His health is good and he is still strong. He has trouble talking or should I say, we may have trouble understanding him, he knows what he is trying to say. He is wobbly on his feet at times. His mental state is good considering the stroke and its trigger for the onset of dementia has taken a huge toll on him. He seems content and at ease mostly.I must admit it is not an ideal situation and anyone willing to visit Laurence and spend time with him would be greatly appreciated by him I'm sure. I included a link to his residence and ask that you follow your heart and reach out to Laurence as he surely needs his friends right now. He could also do with a few things like socks and jocks that sort of thing here and there and this would also be appreciated. I am personally writing this with no affiliation with anyone else. I only knew Laurence in a one on one situation and I dont know many of his friends. I reach out to you on his behalf as my own doing. thank you :heart: http://www.embracia.com.au/aged-care/lo ... -the-park/