How to greet a Novice monk?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
AlaskanDhamma

How to greet a Novice monk?

Post by AlaskanDhamma »

Well I was walking in the local Sears today and came across two novice monks from the local Lao temple, I believe. While I simply said Sabai dee and wai'd I didn't know if there was any other way to greet a novice monk. Can you call them Ajahn? Or are they "not quite there yet"? Just wondering if someone could clear that up for me. Thanks.
"Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace." -Buddha
Individual

Re: How to greet a Novice monk?

Post by Individual »

AlaskanDhamma wrote:Well I was walking in the local Sears today and came across two novice monks from the local Lao temple, I believe. While I simply said Sabai dee and wai'd I didn't know if there was any other way to greet a novice monk. Can you call them Ajahn? Or are they "not quite there yet"? Just wondering if someone could clear that up for me. Thanks.
"Hello. How are you?"
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

you can call anyone ajahn, i was ajahn james in thailand :rolleye:

i think the lao temple only has one novice now though, the nefew of the abbot
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

The Lao people usually call only a monk with more than 10 Rains (vassa) an "Ajahn". You can greet a novice more informally, they are treated like boys wearing (temporarily) robes.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

gavesako wrote:The Lao people usually call only a monk with more than 10 Rains (vassa) an "Ajahn". You can greet a novice more informally, they are treated like boys wearing (temporarily) robes.
wow
does ajahn have a different meaning in laos?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Ajahn comes from Pali "acariya" who is normally a senior monk (Thera) who can give formal instruction to junior monks. Often laypeople don't know how senior a monk is, so they always call him Ajahn just to make sure. But I noticed this usage with lao people in particular.
Bhikkhu Gavesako

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I believe the 10 year Rains is a standard to actually receive the title? I am sure I read that in a Ajahn Chah book or on the forest sangha site somewhere, in relation to Ajahn Sumedo I think?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
AlaskanDhamma

Post by AlaskanDhamma »

Thank you Bhante, and everyone else for the replies.

JC, as for the novices there we're two, the abbots nephew I recognized, and a new one. They were both wearing the bright oragne robes and seemed about the same age. They had a layman with them to handle money and such.

Thanks for the clarification from everyone though! :)
"Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace." -Buddha
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

It is not a title, just a conventional designation of a monk or nun over 10 Rains.

Real titles are given by the King of Thailand, such "Chao Khun" etc. But these have nothing to do with the Vinaya.
Bhikkhu Gavesako

jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

AlaskanDhamma wrote:Thank you Bhante, and everyone else for the replies.

JC, as for the novices there we're two, the abbots nephew I recognized, and a new one. They were both wearing the bright oragne robes and seemed about the same age. They had a layman with them to handle money and such.

Thanks for the clarification from everyone though! :)
the new one is the nefew, serena noi sponsered him
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

gavesako wrote:It is not a title, just a conventional designation of a monk or nun over 10 Rains.

Real titles are given by the King of Thailand, such "Chao Khun" etc. But these have nothing to do with the Vinaya.
when i taught at mahachula they listed me as ajahn.... they said it just meant teacher???
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

jcsuperstar wrote: when i taught at mahachula they listed me as ajahn.... they said it just meant teacher???
Yes, it can be used as a teacher of anything in Thai. To a Thai I'm Ajahn Mike (but not an Ajahn of Dhamma...). At my Wat "Ajahn" is applied to monks with obviously more than 10 rains, otherwise they are simply "Phra".

Mike
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

you know i just dawned on me all the monks ive ever been friends with had been monks for a long long time, maybe thats why i just assumed all monks were ajahn....
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Not to belabor this (minor) point...with reference to Thailand...the Thai word for teacher is ajahn...(along with the word khru, although this word leans more toward instructor rather than teacher)...and having been to (most) every nook and cranny in the country, I can vouch that (many) Thais call all monks (not novices) ajahn, regardless of status...

Be well... :smile:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Ajahn Chah even calls mosquitoes as “Ajahn Mosquito."
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)