Ordination - Thailand or Sri Lanka

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Goedert

Ordination - Thailand or Sri Lanka

Post by Goedert »

I'm trying to search a suitable place to ordain and live as a monk.

The type of meditation teaching I'm seeking is samatha-vipassana, in a way that they cannot be separated.

Any one know a place, excluding Wat Pah Nanachat, that is a Forest Monastery and hold this type of meditation instruction?

Would like to see adress to send a letter or telephone. Thanks for every one who give your time to answer.
appicchato

Re: Ordination - Thailand or Sri Lanka

Post by appicchato »

This monk's view, while not shared by all, if any, is that you're more apt to get more 'instruction' reading, and putting to practice, the wealth of information available on the internet than in any temple in either Thailand, or Sri Lanka…wishing you well...
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

appicchato wrote:This monk's view, while not shared by all, if any, is that you're more apt to get more 'instruction' reading, and putting to practice, the wealth of information available on the internet than in any temple in either Thailand, or Sri Lanka…wishing you well...
I'd have to agree, there is a weird idea that monasteries are some sort of monk college. which i guess would be nice, maybe for some, but in reality this isn't the case at all.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

appicchato wrote:This monk's view, while not shared by all, if any, is that you're more apt to get more 'instruction' reading, and putting to practice, the wealth of information available on the internet than in any temple in either Thailand.
I'd have to agree. You get plenty of instruction in Burma though, but not always in a way that understands how westerners think.

Having said that instruction isn't so much what it's all about, you need it to get started but then I think it's living in a supportive environment and living a supportive lifestyle that's important.

If it's instruction you want and the ability to talk through issues with a teacher, doing retreats in the west, probably with lay teachers, is the way to go.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

The OP wishes to ordain . You can't do that thru the Net.

You can try Pa auk monastery in Myanmar
http://www.paauk.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or Na-Uyana in Sri Lanka
Na-Uyana Aranya, Pansiyagama 60554, Sri Lanka

Actually, I'm quite surprised that anyone here would discourage one from ordaining. Isn't that akusala?
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Personally would recommend Na Uyana in Sri Lanka over Pa Auk FM in Burma.

Na Uyana has excellent support, they take care of all foreign monks' passports, foods good, great solitude, and you have freedom to practice your own method of meditation IF you want. There's a good number of western monks there and they have a good library. The medical & dental support is a world above what you'll get in Burma, and for monks it is free.

Not trying to put you off Pa Auk in Burma, but it does have a reputation for malaria and the medical care you will get in Burma is not great, even by Asian standards.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

pilgrim wrote:The OP wishes to ordain . You can't do that thru the Net.
Actually, I'm quite surprised that anyone here would discourage one from ordaining. Isn't that akusala?
Didn't see that myself…basically, wanting to ordain and live as a monk, and 'seeking samatha-vipassana, in a way that they cannot be separated' are two different endeavors…there being tens of thousands of temples in the countries mentioned, ordaining is not a problem…finding the specific instruction he's looking for is another matter...
shjohnk

Post by shjohnk »

Can foreigners still stay gain visas to stay long-term in Myanmar? If so, I like the look of Pa Auk - Just the first instruction for meditators warms my heart: Respect everyone. :anjali:
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

shjohnk wrote:Can foreigners still stay gain visas to stay long-term in Myanmar? If so, I like the look of Pa Auk - Just the first instruction for meditators warms my heart: Respect everyone. :anjali:
Yes. Right now you might have difficulty staying in a centre on a tourist visa so definately get a meditation visa.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

appicchato wrote:This monk's view, while not shared by all, if any, is that you're more apt to get more 'instruction' reading, and putting to practice, the wealth of information available on the internet than in any temple in either Thailand, or Sri Lanka…wishing you well...
:anjali:

Venerable appicchato, I know that is not shared by all. "is that you're more apt to get more 'instruction' reading, and putting to practice, the wealth of information available on the internet than in any temple in either Thailand, or Sri Lanka…wishing you well..." think you are right on that, but living as monk and having a computer or computer access, is something that I don't know if will be accessible, depending where I ordain.

The kind of teaching I'm saying is: 1st jhana then vipassana on it; 2nd jhana then vipassana on it... and so on...

Thank you for your clarification Bhante.
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

pilgrim wrote:The OP wishes to ordain . You can't do that thru the Net.

You can try Pa auk monastery in Myanmar
http://www.paauk.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or Na-Uyana in Sri Lanka
Na-Uyana Aranya, Pansiyagama 60554, Sri Lanka

Thank for this friend.
BlackBird wrote:Personally would recommend Na Uyana in Sri Lanka over Pa Auk FM in Burma.

Na Uyana has excellent support, they take care of all foreign monks' passports, foods good, great solitude, and you have freedom to practice your own method of meditation IF you want. There's a good number of western monks there and they have a good library. The medical & dental support is a world above what you'll get in Burma, and for monks it is free.

Not trying to put you off Pa Auk in Burma, but it does have a reputation for malaria and the medical care you will get in Burma is not great, even by Asian standards.
I will analyse that too. Thank you friend, any other advice will be precious.
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

Last edited by bazzaman on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

This is the teaching instruction that I'm searching.

Anupadadhammavipassana

"Anupada Sutta: One After Another" (MN 111), translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, June 14, 2010, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Actually that translation of Bhante Thanissaro is ok.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Other possibilities in the west are Ajahn Brahm at Bodhinyana in Perth, Australia or Bhante Gunaratana in Bhavana Society, USA
louhi

Post by louhi »

Last edited by louhi on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.