Visuddhimagga a mistake?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Goedert

Re: Classic commentaries - where to start?

Post by Goedert »

Hi Goedert :thanks: ,

thank you for inspiration. I asked that Monk and that clarified a lot. I was wrong, he had not said such things.
It was a misunderstanding.

His answer was like: "The VM is not all bad by any means and there is much to learn from it outside of the part concerning the meditation instructions."

Be well,
:) Mirco
Hello friend mirco.

Yeah, the texts sometimes need complementation of oral instructions. Only a small number of people has the good faculties to understand the texts all alone. Thanks for spending your time asking the monk.
mirco

Re: Visuddhimagga a mistake?

Post by mirco »

Dear Goedert,

now I got the direc answer from that monk, first was fram an assistant:
a Venerable wrote:I didn't say that Buddhagosa realized that he made mistakes. What I said was
after about 15 years some other monks had had studied the original scriptures
and had found some mistakes that didn't agree with the suttas but the Vissudhi
Magga had become too popular to stop. Hope this clears this up for you.
That cleared up things for me.

Metta, always,
Last edited by mirco on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

I've often come across the position that if something is in the VM and not in the suttas, then the VM should be rejected. I feel that is unnecessary. The VM is an elaboration and extrapolation of the Buddha's teachings. For e.g, the 2 0r 3 techniques of metta meditation is commonly practised throughout the Theravada world without controversy. But we forget that all these metta meditation techniques originates from the VM. You won't find instruction for metta meditation in the suttas.
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

pilgrim wrote: For e.g, the 2 0r 3 techniques of metta meditation is commonly practised throughout the Theravada world without controversy.
:popcorn:
You won't find instruction for metta meditation in the suttas.
Has it crossed anyone else's mind that there might have been a really really good reason for this [intentional] omission?
Last edited by lojong1 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

pilgrim wrote:I've often come across the position that if something is in the VM and not in the suttas, then the VM should be rejected. I feel that is unnecessary...
Sure. Of course it's sensible to think carefully about any instructions, but I see no obvious reason to think that the interpretations of a particular modern teacher are more reliable than the interpretations of other modern or ancient teachers...

Mike
Last edited by mikenz66 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi mirco,

Is there some historical evidence for this statement?

Mike
mirco wrote:Dear Goedert,

Greetings Mirco,

I didn't say that Buddhagosa realized that he made mistakes. What I said was

Metta, always,
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

pilgrim wrote:I've often come across the position that if something is in the VM and not in the suttas, then the VM should be rejected.
What if that "thing" is something that leads to the end of afflictions, and ultimate liberation? Would you still reject it?
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mirco wrote:Dear Goedert,

Greetings Mirco,

I didn't say that Buddhagosa realized that he made mistakes. What I said was

Metta, always,
But certainly not for me. I would like to see the historical evidence to support this. Point me to an historical study that supports this. As it stands, the above statement from "that monk" is not credible.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

mikenz66 wrote:
pilgrim wrote:I've often come across the position that if something is in the VM and not in the suttas, then the VM should be rejected. I feel that is unnecessary...
Sure. Of course it's sensible to think carefully about any instructions, but I see no obvious reason to think that the interpretations of a particular modern teacher are more reliable than the interpretations of other modern or ancient teachers...

Mike
Need to second that.
legolas

Post by legolas »

People take the Buddha and his teachings in the sutta/vinaya as authorative.
People take Buddhagosa and his work as authorative.
People take the view that Buddhagosa's works "explained" or amplified the Buddha's words.
People accept sutta/vinaya and Buddhagosa's teachings and find no discrepancy.
People find discrepancies between the Buddha and Buddhagosa and rely on Buddhagosa's interpretation.
People totally reject Buddhagosa's works because of inconsistancies with the sutta/vinaya.
People accept the sutta and vinaya and only accept Buddhagosa's works when they are totally in line with the sutta/vinaya

It would be interesting to do a poll on peoples views about this. I am sure there are many other views on Buddha/Buddhagosa and my list above could be extended.
mirco

Post by mirco »

mirco wrote:
a Venerable wrote:"What I said was after about 15 years some other monks had had
studied the original scriptures and had found some mistakes that didn't agree with
the suttas but the Vissudhi Magga had become too popular to stop
mikenz66 wrote:Is there some historical evidence for this statement?
Hi Mike,

I don't know. But you could find it out though following the training advices in the Suttas precisely,
gain insight and compare the Suttas and the VM with your insight and wisdom.

Metta, always, :) Mirco
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mirco wrote:
I don't know. But you could find it out though following the training advices in the Suttas precisely,
The first sentence reads correctly. Based upon my 40+ years of experience and those of teachers who have worked directly with both, I find this sort of wholesale rejection of the VM unwarranted. And I find Theravadin teachers who, in regard to other Theravadin teachers, take essentially what boils down to a "I've-got-it-right,-everyone-else-is-wrong" stance worth turning one's back to. There are better teachers out there.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

mirco wrote:
mirco wrote:
a Venerable wrote:"What I said was after about 15 years some other monks had had
studied the original scriptures and had found some mistakes that didn't agree with
the suttas but the Vissudhi Magga had become too popular to stop
mikenz66 wrote:Is there some historical evidence for this statement?
Hi Mike,

Metta, always, :) Mirco
This is, of course, what we are all trying to do...

However, it hardly seems relevant to my question about historical evidence for the actions of monks 15 years after the publication of the Visuddhimagga.

Mike
legolas

Post by legolas »

tiltbillings wrote:
mirco wrote:
The first sentence reads correctly. Based upon my 40+ years of experience and those of teachers who have worked directly with both, I find this sort of wholesale rejection of the VM unwarranted. And I find Theravadin teachers who, in regard to other Theravadin teachers, take essentially what boils down to a "I've-got-it-right,-everyone-else-is-wrong" stance worth turning one's back to. There are better teachers out there.
Obviously we all have our own opinions of what is warranted and what is not. I quite like teachers who are prepared to go back to the original source and not put faith into lesser works. ( Before anybody starts shouting, the VM has to be considered a lesser work, even if you agree with every word it says.) After all it is "Buddhism" and not Buddhaghosa-ism.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

legolas wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
mirco wrote:
Obviously we all have our own opinions of what is warranted and what is not. I quite like teachers who are prepared to go back to the original source and not put faith into lesser works. ( Before anybody starts shouting, the VM has to be considered a lesser work, even if you agree with every word it says.) After all it is "Buddhism" and not Buddhaghosa-ism.
It is a tricky question. I would not say that the VM is above criticism, but I would say that that the VM is a legitimate and efficacious path of practice.