YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Basic Abhidhamma teachings - Dhamma Wheel

Basic Abhidhamma teachings

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

aot

Basic Abhidhamma teachings

Postby aot » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:56 pm

somone please link a site where i can find the basic principles. something geared towards a newbie. :D
:anjali:

Ben

Re: basic teachings

Postby Ben » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:05 pm

Hi aot

There's at least one book on the Abhidhamma in the link in my signature.
Another book I would recommend is 'A Comprehensive Manual of the Abhidhamma' edited by Bhikkhu Bodhi.
Another book some people find useful is Nina Van Gorkom's 'Abhidhamma in Daily Life'. Not having read it, I can't vouch for it.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:03 am

by Prof Y Karunadasa.
One of the best scholars on Theravada Abhidhamma around.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:41 am

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:02 pm

Thanks Bhante Paññāsikhara,

I am not quite finished reading it but I concur with Mike. I have generally been interested in using Abhidhamma lists to help me be more discerning about the skillfulness of mental states. I have not been so sure about what kind of philosophical position regarding the status of mental events was being advanced. I dont really care as long as I find the designations useful. Now I can see that If someone is interested in this they will find that the philosophical position is one which is centered upon the usefulness of designations. In other words it seems clear to me now that the reality of Dhammas depends upon their utility in the advancement of awakening and that these texts go no further than that. I will continue reading the rest later but I choose to meditate and go to work now.

Take Care

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:59 pm

mikenz66

Re: Basic Abhidhamma teachings

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:16 am

Hi Geoff,

Thanks, I'll have look at that later. However, I didn't take Prof Karunadasa's approach to be particularly reified, so I had no problem with it.

I'll await comments on your comments from Ven Huifeng (Paññāsikhara) with interest...

Mike

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:28 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:01 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:24 am

Thanks for your thoughts Geoff. Of course, I don't have to tell you that, as we see from these discussions, different, very sincere, monks/scholars/practitioners with lifetimes of experience have different opinions about which things are or are not the path. So I would be foolish to take any particular opinion as the last word...

However, since this is supposed to be an area for the discussion of Classical Abhidhamma and Commentaries, I think we should take any further such discussion elsewhere.

:anjali:
Mike

suanck

Postby suanck » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:01 am

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:20 am

I think that Prof K would probably argue that at no point is the Theravada Abhidhamma, it's commentaries, and sub-commentaries (etc.) is "reified". Though of course, much may hinge on what is actually meant by this term. However, look for his comments on the three types of definitions viz dhammas / sabhava, ie. agent (kattu-), instrument (karana-), and nature (bhava-). Not how these are developed over time.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:31 pm

Return to “Abhidhamma”