Ordination - Thailand or Sri Lanka

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
yuttadhammo

Re: Ordination - Thailand or Sri Lanka

Post by yuttadhammo »

Goedert wrote:This is the teaching instruction that I'm searching.

Anupadadhammavipassana

"Anupada Sutta: One After Another" (MN 111), translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, June 14, 2010, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Actually that translation of Bhante Thanissaro is ok.
To be quite honest, I don't think any Buddhist teacher of any worth teaches samatha without vipassana or vipassana without samatha. Samatha just means tranquility and refers to the concentration part of the path. Vipassana means insight and refers to the wisdom part of the path. There is no wisdom without concentration, and concentration that doesn't lead to wisdom is pretty useless.
4. "It may be, Cunda, that some monk, detached from sense-objects, detached from unsalutary ideas, enters into the first absorption that is born of detachment, accompanied by thought-conception and discursive thinking, and filled with rapture and joy, and he then might think: 'I am abiding in effacement.' But in the Noble One's discipline it is not these [attainments] that are called 'effacement'; in the Noble One's discipline they are called 'abidings in ease here and now.'

-- Sallekha Sutta (M 8)
Another note: the Anupada Sutta refers to Sariputta Thera's attainment of enlightenment... I wonder whether it is a bit ambitious to try to repeat the attainment of the compiler of the abhidhamma pitaka? On the other hand, it's nice to see such determination :)
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Can't understand the sutta you quoted as there is no relevant meaning for the word "effacement". Why do they use such words in the english translations? :cry:
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

pilgrim wrote:Can't understand the sutta you quoted as there is no relevant meaning for the word "effacement". Why do they use such words in the english translations? :cry:
Don't cry :) it means the lowering of one's ego, becoming more humble and inconspicuous.