awakening myth?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Ben

Re: awakening myth?

Post by Ben »

Hi daniel

The problem with our experience, or what we think our experience is, is that it is often mediated through a matrix of conditionings influencing our perception of what is going on.
When you engage with practice, you begin to look at reality in a radically different way. Slowly and sporadically at first, you begin to see things outside of the context of your own baggage. As this happens, insights start occuring with regards to the nature of experienced reality. But sometimes, those meditative experiences can be misinterpreted.
Practicing Dhamma and coming to awakening is an iterative process. Yes, experience is important as is verifying the teachings with one's own experience. But we also need to keep a very open mind with regards to the nature of our experience and be mindful that it is, quite often, not what it seems. We need to also verify our own experience with the teachings and to a lesser extent with the wise counsel of teachers and kalayaanamittas (good friends in the Dhamma).
kind regards

Ben

Hi Mingyur
Personally I prefer unshakable certainty because this causes effort and joyous perseverance.
I disagree. I think its highly problematic.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
ground

Post by ground »

Ben wrote:Hi Mingyur
Personally I prefer unshakable certainty because this causes effort and joyous perseverance.
kind regards

Ben
You mean you prefer something else. How could you disagree that I prefer what I prefer? :smile:

Kind regards
Ben

Post by Ben »

TMingyur wrote:
Ben wrote:Hi Mingyur
kind regards

Ben
You mean you prefer something else. How could you disagree that I prefer what I prefer? :smile:

Kind regards
I disagree with your contention that unshakable certainty causes effort and joyous perseverence.
My apologies I wasn't clearer.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

ground

Post by ground »

Ben wrote:I disagree with your contention that unshakable certainty causes effort and joyous perseverence.
Okay. If understood as a general contention. But of course everybody can only speak from the perspective of their own personal experience.

And of course also the context is relevant here. What is the object of certainty? I understood the object to be both the path and the goal.

Someone else would perhaps prefer to replace "unshakable certainty" by "faith". But "faith" appears to be too indefinite and ambiguous.

Kind regards
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

daniel p wrote: Really, I view strongly held opinions with deep suspicion!
Especially amongst Buddhists.
Ben

Post by Ben »

TMingyur wrote:
Ben wrote:I disagree with your contention that unshakable certainty causes effort and joyous perseverence.
Okay. If understood as a general contention. But of course everybody can only speak from the perspective of their own personal experience.
Now you're qualifying my understanding? I disagree with your contention, period! One can have the unshakable certainty that one is a sotapanna, sakadagami or arahant, when one is not! I see it everyday.
One can have the unshakable certainty that burning copies of the Koran is going to be a great thing and an affirmation of one's Christian faith. One can have the unshakable certainty of a genocidal Hitler, how does that cause effort and joyful perseverence, let alone any thing conducive to awakening? If we have unshakable certainty, then I think we need to seriously re-examine ourselves. Unshakable certainty, I believe, is more conducive to delusion than awakening.
Everything we experience is conditioned and constantly changing and our experience is conditioned in-part by our perceptions and past conditionings.
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

ground

Post by ground »

Ben wrote:
TMingyur wrote:
Now you're qualifying my understanding?
No. I just tried to state a common fact valid for everybody. No offence intended.

Ben wrote: I disagree with your contention, period! One can have the unshakable certainty that one is a sotapanna, sakadagami or arahant, when one is not! I see it everyday.
One can have the unshakable certainty that burning copies of the Koran is going to be a great thing and an affirmation of one's Christian faith. One can have the unshakable certainty of a genocidal Hitler, how does that cause effort and joyful perseverence, let alone any thing conducive to awakening? If we have unshakable certainty, then I think we need to seriously re-examine ourselves. Unshakable certainty, I believe, is more conducive to delusion than awakening.
Everything we experience is conditioned and constantly changing and our experience is conditioned in-part by our perceptions and past conditionings.
kind regards

Ben
Pardon, but every statement has its own context.
TMingyur wrote: And of course also the context is relevant here. What is the object of certainty? I understood the object to be both the path and the goal.

Someone else would perhaps prefer to replace "unshakable certainty" by "faith". But "faith" appears to be too indefinite and ambiguous.

And of course speaking of "unshakable certainty" does not necessarily mean permanent "unshakable certainty". But even moments of "unshakable certainty" may enhance effort and joyous perseverance reaching even beyond these moments simply due to the capacity of remembrance.

Kind regards
daniel p

Post by daniel p »

TMingyur wrote:
daniel p wrote:I always feel more at home with vaugeness and uncertainty anyway.

Kind regards
The point I was tring to make was that as I have become more uncertain about the world around me it has actually been liberating to let go of firmly held views. I have come to notice that my own views and opinions are transient anyway, according to conditions.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

It can be dangerous to let go prematurely - the old nihilism trap. Watch out for apathy, lack of vigour and indifference.

A deep letting go of views is beneficial once one has established a strong motivation to practice and a solid ethical foundation, I think.
_/|\_
ground

Post by ground »

daniel p wrote:
TMingyur wrote:
daniel p wrote:I always feel more at home with vaugeness and uncertainty anyway.

Kind regards
The point I was tring to make was that as I have become more uncertain about the world around me it has actually been liberating to let go of firmly held views. I have come to notice that my own views and opinions are transient anyway, according to conditions.
I see. Although it may seem that old views have been replaced by new views like e.g. "... my own views and opinions are transient anyway, according to conditions". Which may not be a problem at all since the effective problem may be the "firmly held" in the context of "firmly held views".

Kind regards
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

daniel p wrote:Is awakening (in the Buddhist sense) a myth?
It is assumed that many great teachers were awakened. But were/are they really? One is generally discouraged from making enlightenment the focus or goal of one's practice. But occasionally we find ourselves questioning why we are even practicing.There may be some benefit, but if there is no enlightenment then why practice? Why even consider the teachings? Or to phrase it another way, does the path leading to the cessatation of dukkha actually lead to the cessatation of dukkha?
I know quite a few dedicated meditators who have glimpsed total cessation of all phenomena -hence unsatisfactoriness (ie nibbana) at the point of completing all 16 vipassana knowledges. There is a path which leads to that- and it works. This is beyond doubt.

As for your friend- being a monk doesn't guarantee anything. You should get your advice from a meditating monk in a monastary and find out why they are still meditating.

with metta

RYB
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Dan74 wrote:It can be dangerous to let go prematurely . . . .
One can imagine that one has let go. One can understand that letting go is the appropriate thing to do, though one has not done so, but the understanding of the need can change one's relationship with what one is holding onto, making it a part of the practice. One can have have a jhana type experience that simulates letting go, but the stuff does comes back. Really letting go is a matter of insight, some which comes from meditative experience of the three marks and some of which comes from life lived in terms of the precepts and compassion and giving.

But to try to force letting go because that is the holy thing to do, is a way of leading one's self down the garden path. One should cease to cherish opinions, but that does not you should not have opinions or that opinions cannot be useful. Basically, we have to work with what we have, starting from where we are.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

I must say that I can't fully make sense of the idea of 'complete, perfect and permanent awakening' (and why should I be able to?). I have met people who strike me as profoundly awakened, however I have never met someone who struck me as completely, perfectly and permanently awakened. There may be such a thing, but it is out of the range of my experience. And even if it does exist it is likely to remain out of the range of my experience.

What I do know, what I can confirm, is a slow, ongoing, unfolding process (sometimes shaky, sometimes stop and start, sometimes more 'backwards' than 'forwards') of dropping delusion, craving and aversion and waking up to a deeper appreciation of this very life here and now. There is always work to be done so I just keep going.
5heaps

Post by 5heaps »

Shonin wrote:And even if it does exist it is likely to remain out of the range of my experience.
why say that? its just a shift in the mind, not in some room in your house, or some building near by, or anything else.

all of our ordinary experiences are constructed with something at its foundation. that something appears to be substantial. it turns out to be totally void of such substantiality. thats all. the only requirement for this is a lot of analysis.
A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

tiltbillings wrote:
Dan74 wrote:It can be dangerous to let go prematurely . . . .
One can imagine that one has let go. One can understand that letting go is the appropriate thing to do, though one has not done so, but the understanding of the need can change one's relationship with what one is holding onto, making it a part of the practice. One can have have a jhana type experience that simulates letting go, but the stuff does comes back. Really letting go is a matter of insight, some which comes from meditative experience of the three marks and some of which comes from life lived in terms of the precepts and compassion and giving.

But to try to force letting go because that is the holy thing to do, is a way of leading one's self down the garden path. One should cease to cherish opinions, but that does not you should not have opinions or that opinions cannot be useful. Basically, we have to work with what we have, starting from where we are.
Yes, yes!
Basically, we have to work with what we have, starting from where we are.
To expand on this, I would say this also includes our delusions, eg self! To put it to good constructive use is much preferable to being in denial and sweeping it and all the stuff that comes out under the carpet. A teacher once told me that before one is ready to let go of self, one should have a strong functioning self.

As for the OP, believing that complete enlightenment is impossible seems to me to be equivalent to believing that ignorance is permanent. And while none of us have probably experienced a complete cessation of ignorance, I am sure we've all see its waxing and waning (and hopefully diminishing in the long term). So it doesn't seem such a long stretch to me to believe the possibility of insight that dispels ignorance once and for all.

Perhaps some further cultivation and refinement may be necessary but that's another topic (and probably not for this subforum).
_/|\_