YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Vipassana is mindfulness? - Dhamma Wheel

Vipassana is mindfulness?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Spiny O'Norman

Vipassana is mindfulness?

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:36 am

I've been noticing that my vipassana practice and mindfulness practice seem to be basically the same activity, which I'd describe as observing whatever arises.
I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

Spiny

zazang

Re: Vipassana is mindfulness?

Postby zazang » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:51 am

Vipassana is to see things as they are..nothing less , nothing more...and it is Mindfullness that reminds us to do that.

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:53 am

Hi Spiny

Sati is a factor of both samatha and vipassana.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

5heaps

Postby 5heaps » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:01 am

A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:44 am

5heaps

Postby 5heaps » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:00 pm

A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:05 pm

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

5heaps

Postby 5heaps » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:35 pm

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Vipassana is a quality of the mind - the ability to see things without the taint of delusion. There are many meditative practices that can develop vipassana. The most commonly employed are samatha and sati developed by means of the various practices described in the sati-patthana sutta.

Spiny O'Norman

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:44 pm

Spiny O'Norman

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Phra Chuntawongso

Postby Phra Chuntawongso » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:08 pm

:thinking: Vipassana helps us to see that all conditioned phenomenom are impermanent and outside of our control.They arise and they cease.When our mind is focused on on the rising and falling of the abdomin,we see that there is a beginning to the rising and an ending to the arising.Then we have a beginning to the falling and an ending to the falling.It can not continue to rise nor can it continue to fall,it is impermanent and outside of our control,therefore nor self,for if it were self we could tell it to keep rising.Try doing that,it hurts.Yeah I was dumb enough to check it out. :shrug:
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning

5heaps

Postby 5heaps » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:24 pm

SamKR

Postby SamKR » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:42 pm

5heaps

Postby 5heaps » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:17 am

Jack

Postby Jack » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:56 pm

It is my understanding that the suttas don't make a distinction between mindfulness meditation and vipassana/insight meditation. Teachers define the difference, if any, their own way.

I think vipassana/insight meditation is a further refinement of mindfulness. Vipassana/insight meditation is specifically looking for the 3 Marks in all phenomena.

jack

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:01 pm

Spiny O'Norman

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:08 am

Spiny O'Norman

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:11 am

5heaps

Postby 5heaps » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:46 pm

Return to “Vipassanā / Satipaṭṭhāna Bhāvana”