Ven. Dhammika's review of Buddha to Jesus

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DNS
Site Admin

Ven. Dhammika's review of Buddha to Jesus

Post by DNS »

Ven. Shravasti Dhammika has written a book review of From Buddha to Jesus an Insiders view of Christianity and Buddhism.

Reviews, From Buddha to Jesus

Apparently the author of that book takes a very critical and ignorant view of Buddhism to writing. Fortunately, Ven. Dhammika wrote that great review to counter it.
mikenz66

Re: Ven. Dhammika's review of Buddha to Jesus

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks TheDhamma for pointing that out. The attitude that missionary Christians have in Asia is scary...

Mike
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

If you think his review is good then it would behoove you to mark it as helpful so others will be inclined to read it.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I disagree. Ven Dhammika's review is very poor — it is far too long for a start. To be frank, it is hardly any better than a rant. Not that the book doesn't deserve to be criticised, but if it is so bad I wonder why Ven Dhammika even bothered?
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Greetings Venerable,

I agree that it is much too long, and will probably have little impact on Christian readers. Perhaps an "exective summary" would have been helpful...

Metta
Mike
Tex

Post by Tex »

Agreed on the length, I skimmed the second half of it. I thought he demonstrated how the author didn't know what he was talking about quite well. I'm sure it won't make much difference to the Christians, but at least non-biased readers won't be led astray if they read that review.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Individual

Post by Individual »

TheDhamma wrote:Ven. Shravasti Dhammika has written a book review of From Buddha to Jesus an Insiders view of Christianity and Buddhism.

Reviews, From Buddha to Jesus

Apparently the author of that book takes a very critical and ignorant view of Buddhism to writing. Fortunately, Ven. Dhammika wrote that great review to counter it.
For a similarly amusing evangelical Christian distortion of Buddhism, see Crosswalk.com's article, Share Your Faith With Buddhists.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Post by Individual »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I disagree. Ven Dhammika's review is very poor — it is far too long for a start. To be frank, it is hardly any better than a rant. Not that the book doesn't deserve to be criticised, but if it is so bad I wonder why Ven Dhammika even bothered?
I was thinking that myself. That is, I was thinking: Ven. Dhammika may have actually brought this book more attention than it deserves by providing his critique, giving it some semblance of value. Buddhist monks don't bother critiquing Scientologists' remarks about Buddhism, for example.

The Diamond Sutra
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

mikenz66 wrote:Thanks TheDhamma for pointing that out. The attitude that missionary Christians have in Asia is scary...

Mike
I saw a book on scibed? which initially I though was interesting but then realised it was a handbook of how to convert Buddhists I'll look about for it post here as it seem relevant to this thread
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

that is the longest review ever....
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:lol: Yes, it is pretty long. Four out of four people have marked it as a good review or at least 'helpful.' Excellent.
arises

Post by arises »

Check this out:

http://buddhabook.org/bookblog/?p=64" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wu-Wei

Post by Wu-Wei »

:shock:
thornbush

Post by thornbush »

Wu-Wei wrote:Image
:shock:
Individual

Post by Individual »

Cioccolanti has created a series of pages attacking Dhammika:
http://buddhabook.org/bookblog/?page_id=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Diamond Sutra