Buddho

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
jcsuperstar

Re: Buddho

Post by jcsuperstar »

bodom wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote:
“BUDDHO is something cool and calm.
It’s the path for giving rise to peace and contemned —
the only path that will release us from
the suffering and stress in this world.”
ajaan thate
:thumbsup:

Just ordered Buddho from Wave. I wanted his other books, Flavor of the Dhamma and Steps Along the Path but they were out.

:anjali:
you can get steps along the path from Inward Path and it is also included in his autobiography. there is also a deep and perfect vision which is translated by ajahn sumano. i've never seen Flavor of the Dhamma i'll look around for it now... :tongue:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
bodom

Post by bodom »

jcsuperstar wrote:you can get steps along the path from Inward Path and it is also included in his autobiography. there is also a deep and perfect vision which is translated by ajahn sumano. i've never seen Flavor of the Dhamma i'll look around for it now... :tongue:
Good luck. Flavor of the Dhamma is a bit of a rarity it seems. I checked out Inward Path but it says they only take Paypal as payment which I dont have. :tantrum:

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

so i got this book
Buddhism in Practice
http://www.amazon.com/Buddhism-Practice ... ap_title_1

and it has a chapter that is a translation of an old Thai meditation text, and in it it teaches one how to use buddho, but the text was written in 1900 by a monk named Pannawong bhikkhu and believe to be the style of teaching of his teacher Khruba Khamphira, and thought to be the meditation practiced in the northern area.

it has one recite buddho while using a mala,and recolections of the Buddha's virtues. quite interesting!

but this points to buddho predating the ajaan Sao/Mun forest tradition...

my research continues!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
bodom

Post by bodom »

Very interesting. Good find Jc. Ill have to check that book out.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Viriya

Post by Viriya »

Good work in finding that, Jcsuperstar! Wouldn't we all like to know where 'buddho' as a meditation object started?

(Laughs) I have a *completely unfounded* hypothesis that it was a back influence from Chinese Mahayana Buddhism on Thai Buddhism. The practice of reciting 'buddho', especially using beads, does show at least a superficial similarity to the Mahayanist practice of reciting Buddha's names, e.g. 'Amituofo'. But that's merely speculation.
I'm not very good at right speech, although I try, so please guide and correct me if necessary so I don't make bad kamma for myself and cause others to be annoyed. (=
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

Viriya wrote:Good work in finding that, Jcsuperstar! Wouldn't we all like to know where 'buddho' as a meditation object started?

(Laughs) I have a *completely unfounded* hypothesis that it was a back influence from Chinese Mahayana Buddhism on Thai Buddhism. The practice of reciting 'buddho', especially using beads, does show at least a superficial similarity to the Mahayanist practice of reciting Buddha's names, e.g. 'Amituofo'. But that's merely speculation.
well it is done in conjunction with the recollection of the qualities of the Buddha, and this as a formal meditation practice goes at least as far back to Buddhaghosa in sri lanka, so theres no reason to assume a mahayana influence just yet, in fact the mahayana Buddha recollections probably borrowed their styles from whatever pre-sectarian Buddha anussati practices were in vogue.

for more on anussati check this out
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/stud ... ml#summary
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

jcsuperstar wrote:so i got this book
Buddhism in Practice
http://www.amazon.com/Buddhism-Practice ... ap_title_1

and it has a chapter that is a translation of an old Thai meditation text, and in it it teaches one how to use buddho, but the text was written in 1900 by a monk named Pannawong bhikkhu and believe to be the style of teaching of his teacher Khruba Khamphira, and thought to be the meditation practiced in the northern area.

it has one recite buddho while using a mala,and recolections of the Buddha's virtues. quite interesting!

but this points to buddho predating the ajaan Sao/Mun forest tradition...

my research continues!
Interesting stuff. Have you finished reading yet? Would you recommend the book because I have always been intrigued by the use of malas in Theravada practice and have some experience using buddho as a technique.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
samadhi_steve

Post by samadhi_steve »

Ajahn Mun comparing Buddho to the Citta's food. Great simile!

“That’s too bad. Where’s it gone? Well, don’t be discouraged. Just put maximum effort into your practice and it will reappear for sure. It has simply wandered off somewhere. If you accelerate your efforts it will come back on its own. The citta is like a dog: it inevitably follows its owner wherever he goes. It won’t just run away. Intensify your practice and the citta is bound to return on its own. Don’t waste time thinking about where it’s gone to. Wherever it’s gone, it can’t possibly run away. If you want it to return quickly, concentrate your efforts. Any discouragement will only boost the citta’s ego. Thinking you really miss it so much, it will play hard-to-get. So stop thinking about the citta you’ve lost. Instead, think “buddho”, repeating it continuously, over and over again. Once the word “buddho” has been mentally established by repeating it continuously in rapid succession, the citta will hurry back of its own accord. Even then, don’t let go of buddho. Buddho is the citta’s food – as long as there is food, it will always come running back. So repeat “buddho” constantly until the citta has eaten its fill, then it will have to take a rest. You too will feel satisfied while the citta rests calmly. When it’s calm, it ceases to run madly about looking to cause you trouble. Keep this practice up until you cannot chase it away, even if you want to. This is the perfect method to use with a mind whose ravenous appetite is never satiated. As long as it has enough food, it will not leave even if you try to drive it away. Follow my advice and the state of your citta will never again deteriorate. Buddho is the key. So long as its food is there, it won’t stray. Do as I say and you’ll never again experience the disappointment of seeing your citta get worse time and time again.”
Buddho is something cool and calm. It's the path for giving rise to peace and contentment — the only path that will release us from the suffering and stress in this world.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Ajahn Mun :bow:

Excellent. Thank you Steve.

- BB
samadhi_steve

Post by samadhi_steve »

Ajahn Pu Dune Atulo

"When you meditate, don't send your mind outside. Don't fasten onto any knowledge at all. Whatever knowledge you've gained from books or teachers, don't bring it in to complicate things. Cut away all preoccupations, and then as you meditate let all your knowledge come from what's going on in the mind. When the mind is quiet, you'll know it for yourself. But you have to keep meditating a lot. When the time comes for things to develop, they'll develop on their own. Whatever you know, have it come from your own mind.

"The knowledge that comes from a mind that's quiet is extremely subtle and profound. So let your knowledge come out of a mind quiet and still.

"Have the mind give rise to a single preoccupation. Don't send it outside. Let the mind stay right in the mind. Let the mind meditate on its own. Let it be the one that keeps repeating buddho, buddho. And then genuine buddho will appear in the mind. You'll know for yourself what buddho is like. That's all there is to it. There's not a whole lot..."
Last edited by samadhi_steve on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddho is something cool and calm. It's the path for giving rise to peace and contentment — the only path that will release us from the suffering and stress in this world.
samadhi_steve

Post by samadhi_steve »

Mae Chee Kaew

He explained to her the same basic technique that Ajaan Sao had taught:
silent repetition of the meditation-word ‘buddho’, practiced repeatedly and continuously until it became the sole object of her awareness.

He emphasized that mindfulness — being mindful and aware only of the moment-to-moment recitation of each syllable:

Bud-dho, Bud-dho

must be present to direct her efforts: it would make her alert and fully attentive to the rise and fall of each repetition.
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

Hi all,

Here is a little gāthā that I once came up with on the practice of buddho.
  • Arahaṃ

Buddho is to be individually known (paccatta veditabba).
    Buddho is great compassion (mahākaruṇā).
    Buddho is non-indicative (anidassana).
    Buddho is objectless (anārammaṇa).
    Buddho is unestablished (appatiṭṭha).
    Buddho is measureless (appamāṇa).
All the best,

Geoff
bodom

Post by bodom »

Ñāṇa wrote:Hi all,

Here is a little gāthā that I once came up with on the practice of buddho.
  • Arahaṃ

Buddho is to be individually known (paccatta veditabba).
    Buddho is great compassion (mahākaruṇā).
    Buddho is non-indicative (anidassana).
    Buddho is objectless (anārammaṇa).
    Buddho is unestablished (appatiṭṭha).
    Buddho is measureless (appamāṇa).
All the best,

Geoff
Very inspiring. Thank you Geoff.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

jcsuperstar wrote:my favorite thread
Im dedicating this thread to you JC. Heres one more for you...May you find Buddho...
"When we make up our mind to repeat 'Buddho,' the act of making up the mind is in itself the act of establishing mindfulness. When we keep thinking 'Buddho' and are not willing to let the mind slip away from 'Buddho,' our mindfulness and alertness are already healthy and strong, always watching over the mind to keep it with 'Buddho.' As soon as our attention slips away, so that we forget to think 'Buddho' and go thinking of something else, it's a sign that there's a lapse in our mindfulness. But if we can keep our mindfulness under control and can think 'Buddho, Buddho' continuously, with no gaps, our mindfulness is already strong, so there's no need to go 'establishing mindfulness' anywhere. To think of an object so that it is coupled with the mind is, in and of itself, the act of getting mindfulness established."
Phra Ajaan Sao

- BB
Hoo

Re: Aids to anapanasati

Post by Hoo »

bodom wrote:Two syllables...

'Bud-dho'

'Bud' on the in breath, 'dho' on the out breath.

Hi Bodom,

My breathing cadence is usually slow. I have been doing Buddho on the in breath and again on the out breath. On occaisions it slows to the point that I do two repeats on each in and out breath.

No breathing problems, no problem with the way I've been doing it that I see. Just wanted to check and see if the cadence set up by Bud...dho makes some difference. Faster breathing, more oxygen???

Hoo