My shrine!

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.

My shrine!

Postby texastheravadin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:34 pm

I'm excited...my super craptacular shrine is nearing completion! My Buddha rupa is due to be delivered tomorrow. I attached a photo of what the rupa "looks" like (because stuff RARELY looks the same in real life as it does in a photo posted on the Interweb!)

I picked a standing Buddha because that is an image that has always impressed me more than the various other positions I've seen the Buddha depicted in (sitting, lying on one side). There is a statue outside of Wat Buddhavas (here in Texas) of a standing Buddha which has always inspired more devotion in me than the much larger, golden sitting Buddha inside the shrine room. I have always preferred the Thai Buddha image (with the classic pointy head) over others I have come across. I really don't know why, but the Thai style always seemed to me to make the Tathāgata much more exalted looking. I know that his having both hands held outwards means something, but I forgot and to be honest I really don't care...I picked out an image that would inspire the most devotion, and also as a reminder of the truly awesome figure that Gotama Buddha was and that I too am capable of becoming "fully human" in this life or another.

Now if I can just find a decent altar cloth! No idea where to even start looking...any suggestions? And I am on a budget here people! Starving college student! Thanks!

:anjali:

Josh
Attachments
41VwSimIh+L._SS400_.jpg
41VwSimIh+L._SS400_.jpg (20.23 KiB) Viewed 733 times
"Indeed, the Blessed One is worthy and rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed." — AN 11.12
texastheravadin

Re: My shrine!

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:49 pm

It looks great! How tall is the statue?

For an altar cloth, you could use a table cloth or go to a fabric store where they sell fabric by the yard. It would only cost a few bucks. I'd go with yellow, but that's me. :tongue:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby texastheravadin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:53 am

supposedly 18 inches we'll see!

I'll check it out if I can find a fabric store nearby! Thanks! :anjali:
"Indeed, the Blessed One is worthy and rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed." — AN 11.12
texastheravadin

Postby suanck » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:13 am

texastheravadin wrote:... I know that his having both hands held outwards means something, but I forgot and to be honest I really don't care...I

That's the Abhaya Mudra, hand gesture of fearlessness (or reassurance). See the 3rd photo at:
http://www.buddha-images.com/abhaya-mudra.asp

Suan.
suanck

Postby texastheravadin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:48 am

Thank you so much for the info friend :thanks: much appreciated!

I actually wasn't that interested in the various mudras until you posted that link. Now I find it fascinating to know what each one means.

That website is great! I did some digging, and I think I found one of the statues that they ripped the design for my Buddha rupa from. I know, never end a sentence with a preposition...

WatBen_14.jpg
WatBen_14.jpg (20.48 KiB) Viewed 690 times

As you said, it's the Abhaya Mudra, or gesture of reassurance (or Calming the Oceans). Apparently the Buddha is in "Royal Attire". Who knew?

Kind of makes it sound like an action figure..."Lord Buddha 18" Fully Pose-able! Comes With Royal Attire Ready to Do Battle With Mara! Collect 'Em All!"

Thanks again!

Josh
texastheravadin

Postby Viriya » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:31 pm

As a fellow starving university student, I commiserate, I had a pillowcase as my altar-cloth for years. (Not the most inspiring tribute to the noble religion, I know...but fully functional for catching dripping candlewax, dying flowers etc, and it didn't look that bad.)

I finally figured I could spare a few dollars for the sake of aesthetics and purchased a large orange cloth woven placemats from a secondhand store at Australian 0.50c. Beautiful AND cheap. Not to cheapen the teachings of the Blessed One. When you don't have a regular income, any expense is a big expense. ^^

I'm not sure what second-hand stores are like in the U.S., but if you're on a tight budget, I found they were a great place to look for very cheap candles, candle holders, incense, vases, photoframes and other shrine related sundry. I carried home the actual bookshelf I use for the altar from the side of the road. (=
I'm not very good at right speech, although I try, so please guide and correct me if necessary so I don't make bad kamma for myself and cause others to be annoyed. (=
Viriya

Postby texastheravadin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:22 pm

Viriya wrote:As a fellow starving university student, I commiserate, I had a pillowcase as my altar-cloth for years. (Not the most inspiring tribute to the noble religion, I know...but fully functional for catching dripping candlewax, dying flowers etc, and it didn't look that bad.)

I finally figured I could spare a few dollars for the sake of aesthetics and purchased a large orange cloth woven placemats from a secondhand store at Australian 0.50c. Beautiful AND cheap. Not to cheapen the teachings of the Blessed One. When you don't have a regular income, any expense is a big expense. ^^

I'm not sure what second-hand stores are like in the U.S., but if you're on a tight budget, I found they were a great place to look for very cheap candles, candle holders, incense, vases, photoframes and other shrine related sundry. I carried home the actual bookshelf I use for the altar from the side of the road. (=

I had to highlight that part of your response because it was so weird...Orange is actually the color I was contemplating for an altar cloth! I was thinking (based on another poster's recommendation) of going to a store that sells fabric by the yard and having them cut a piece for me, it shouldn't be too expensive. Second-hand stores here in the U.S. are probably much the same as they are Down Under. I actually found a nice porcelain Hotei statue a while back for like $15 US. It really looked like it was worth more, but maybe because as a Buddhist I have prejudiced eyes. And if you want decent furniture at fire-sale prices, there's no better bet than your local Salvation Army or any charitable thrift shop!

Thanks for the recommendations...I have been trying like mad to find a place I could buy a decent non-scented pillar candle for my shrine, and I totally forgot about going to the local thrift shops. I swear everywhere I go, the only candles they have are of the most nauseating scents. Thai Lemongrass? I really only want the smell of nag champa when I'm doing puja in front of my shrine. And $17 for a 6 inch pillar candle? I could order one from DharmaCrafts (which is already overpriced) for cheaper (and that includes the shipping!)

In the end, to quote Bhante G, the practice is the thing. As money is tight, I'm determined not to let my shrine drain my resources. As much respect as I have for Lord Buddha, I have to make sure I eat first before adding more curios to my collection. The $65 I plunked down for my Buddha statue was enough for me. If other people can spend hundreds of dollars on such things, then more power to them. My Buddha rupa looks like it cost much, much more anyways. It also has the added bonus of looking like it really belongs in a Thai wat. And that's the point - finding something that inspires devotion, while at the same time not breaking the bank.

By the way, any recommendations for flowers that can withstand living in a stuffy garage apartment? I've been thinking roses...those seem to last a while...

:anjali:

Josh
texastheravadin

Postby Ytrog » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Nice :)
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ytrog

Return to Shrine Room