Buddho

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
samadhi_steve

Re: Buddho

Post by samadhi_steve »

In the mental recitation method for one-pointedness of the citta notice "who" is reciting "Buddho". One should look at the citta when it is calm. Let mindfulness watch the base and when any sense object arises let the object go and continue watching the citta. One should not worry or force but just try to keep and attend to the citta at its base having mindfulness (Sati) there to quietly be aware of things. One should not speculate about the citta as to what is happening or what arises, just be aware. Letting this go on continuously, one will begin to understand the ways actions of the citta. Does the citta create the defilements (Kilesa) or do the defilements create citta? Understand the objects of thought and notice the three types, which are greed (Raga), hate (Dosa) and delusion (Moha).
Ajahn Dune Atulo :namaste:
Buddho is something cool and calm. It's the path for giving rise to peace and contentment — the only path that will release us from the suffering and stress in this world.
bodom

Re: Aids to anapanasati

Post by bodom »

Hoo wrote:Just wanted to check and see if the cadence set up by Bud...dho makes some difference. Faster breathing, more oxygen?
No sir, no problem with that at all. Whatever helps to calm and concentrate your mind. I actually dont even use 'Buddho' in conjunction w/ the breath. I use 'Buddho' as mental repetition and find that works great for me.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

bodom wrote:
Hoo wrote:Just wanted to check and see if the cadence set up by Bud...dho makes some difference. Faster breathing, more oxygen?
No sir, no problem with that at all. Whatever helps to calm and concentrate your mind. I actually dont even use 'Buddho' in conjunction w/ the breath. I use 'Buddho' as mental repetition and find that works great for me.

Do you pace your repetitions in some way, or just let your mind repeat the word as fast as it seems inclined? I find that if I don't pair buddho with the breath then I repeat it very fast. It doesn't seem right.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Do you pace your repetitions in some way, or just let your mind repeat the word as fast as it seems inclined? I find that if I don't pair buddho with the breath then I repeat it very fast. It doesn't seem right.
If my mind is restless and won't settle, or im sleepy, I find speeding up the repetition helps to calm and settle or energize the mind as needed. I find a steady pace of 'Buddho' once per second or two works fine. Even visualising the word 'Buddho' in my mind, using it almost like a nimitta, and repeating as if im reading it off paper...'Buddho...Buddho..Buddho...helps to calm the mind and keep a good pace. Once the mind settles and becomes concentrated I find the repetition naturally slows and fades completely.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

bodom wrote: Once the mind settles and becomes concentrated I find the repetition naturally slows and fades completely.

Hmm! I shall have to practice with it more as I'm intrigued. :thanks:
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Its been said before but bears repeating, Buddho is a major practice with some of the Forest Ajahns in the UK.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

samadhi_steve wrote:Mae Chee Kaew

He explained to her the same basic technique that Ajaan Sao had taught:
silent repetition of the meditation-word ‘buddho’, practiced repeatedly and continuously until it became the sole object of her awareness.

He emphasized that mindfulness — being mindful and aware only of the moment-to-moment recitation of each syllable:

Bud-dho, Bud-dho

must be present to direct her efforts: it would make her alert and fully attentive to the rise and fall of each repetition.
Just to clarify, is Buddho primarily intended as an aid to concentration on the cushion, or is it primarily intended as an aid to mindfulness off the cushion?

Spiny
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

bodom wrote:

Just to clarify, do you mean that you're using "Buddho" as the object of concentration, rather than the breath?

Spiny
Hoo

Post by Hoo »

Spiny O'Norman wrote: Just to clarify, do you mean that you're using "Buddho" as the object of concentration, rather than the breath?

Spiny
I've just started using Buddho and I'm not an accomplished meditator. So take my thoughts with a large grain of salt :)

When I sit, I maintain awareness of the breath but my mind is sometimes hopping about :) I use Buddho to focus the mind. I also pace it with the pace of my breath. If the breath is short, Bud- in ,dho- out works well. If the breath is long, Buddho-Buddho on each in and out breath works fine. It helps me quiet the mind and settle into a slower pace.

So this is just a point in my relatively new practice. I'm just getting back to sitting meditation after some neurosurgery last spring. Most of the old habits are gone after a six month break. I'm sure the more accomplished and well read will chime in with more to share.

With Metta,

Hoo
bodom

Post by bodom »

Just to clarify, is Buddho primarily intended as an aid to concentration on the cushion, or is it primarily intended as an aid to mindfulness off the cushion?
Hi spiny

The following excerpts from Ajahn Akincano explain nicely how I practice with 'buddho' off the cushion.
We must focus on the mantra 'Buddho', establishing continuous awareness, whether standing, walking, sitting, reclining, working, talking, drinking or thinking. Right now, while listening to the Dhamma, we can direct our minds to peace and not allow our attention to wander to other things. We can recite 'Buddho' continuously whatever our posture or activity, be it eating, coming or going, chanting or meditating. If we can keep this up, then our mindfulness will be firm and focused. Buddho and peace will become firmly and inseparably rooted in the heart.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Whatever our activity, be it drinking, thinking or talking, we have mindfulness, that is, clear recollection. Alternatively, we can establish the recitation of a mantra - 'Buddho', 'Dhammo' or 'Sangho' - to govern and guide our mind. Whether standing, walking, seated or reclining, we establish this internal recitation of 'Buddho' to govern the minds tendency towards distraction and diversity as it wanders about in the past and the future, continually proliferating.Laypeople should firmly establish their lives in virtue and goodness, and try to cultivate mindfulness, samadhi, wisdom and samma-ajiva - ­Right Livelihood. Whatever our work or duties, we should endeavour to perform them with mindfulness using a mantra, Buddho - Dhammo - Sangho, to hold our attention. We have come together to practise Dhamma and so whatever bodily movement or wholesome activity we engage in, we can meditate at the same time by focusing upon the mantra 'Buddho' continuously.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

And from Ajahn Suchart:
Mindfulness is a very valuable tool that should be earnestly developed.  One way to do this is to mentally recite Buddho. Buddho, Buddho at all times.  Whatever we do, just think of Buddho.  Concentrate on it.  Do not let the monkey or our mind run away. Tie it to a tree. That tree is Buddho.  If we could restrain our mind, it would eventually calm down and realize samadhi or concentration, not wandering here and there but stay put, here and now, like this glass of water that was placed here.  It is still here and not going anywhere.  Similarly, if we use mindfulness to control our mind, we would be able to concentrate and remain still.  Once that happens, we can accomplish many things.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

We can meditate all the time no matter where we are or what we do.  We can do it while driving.  Just don’t close your eyes.  While driving, we can recite Buddho, Buddho, Buddho in our mind while concentrating on driving.  This is also a form of meditation.  While eating, concentrate on eating; reading, concentrate on reading; working, concentrate on working.  We don’t have to wait until we can go to the temple, to a quiet place, or to sit in front of a Buddha image, in order to meditate.  That will be too late.  Why?  It’s because the kilesa are always active and ever present.    Greed and hatred can pop up anywhere, anytime.  They don’t wait until they get on the stage to reveal themselves.  They don’t operate that way.  Whenever we see something greed or hatred can pop up right away. To fight them, we must use Dhamma.  To stop them, we must use mindfulness and samadhi.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Just to clarify, do you mean that you're using "Buddho" as the object of concentration, rather than the breath?

Hi spiny

Yes. I take the mental recitation of 'buddho' as my object of focus.

Heres a short explanation of my practice from Ajahn Thate:
Now, sit in meditation, your right leg on top of left, your hands palm-up in your lap, your right hand on top of your left. Sit straight. Repeat the word buddho in your mind, focusing your attention in the middle of your chest, at the heart. Don't let your attention stray out ahead or behind. Be mindful to keep your mind in place, steady in its one-pointedness, and you'll enter into a state of concentration.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... uddho.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- BB
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

bodom wrote:
Whatever our activity, be it drinking, thinking or talking, we have mindfulness, that is, clear recollection. Alternatively, we can establish the recitation of a mantra - 'Buddho', 'Dhammo' or 'Sangho' - to govern and guide our mind.

Thanks. But if one if concentrating on reciting a mantra while doing activities, doesn't it mean that one is less aware of the activity itself - and therefore less mindful?

Spiny