Ven. Dhammika's review of Buddha to Jesus

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Ven. Dhammika's review of Buddha to Jesus

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:32 pm

Ven. Shravasti Dhammika has written a book review of From Buddha to Jesus an Insiders view of Christianity and Buddhism.

Reviews, From Buddha to Jesus

Apparently the author of that book takes a very critical and ignorant view of Buddhism to writing. Fortunately, Ven. Dhammika wrote that great review to counter it.

mikenz66

Re: Ven. Dhammika's review of Buddha to Jesus

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks TheDhamma for pointing that out. The attitude that missionary Christians have in Asia is scary...

Mike

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:39 pm

If you think his review is good then it would behoove you to mark it as helpful so others will be inclined to read it.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:44 pm

I disagree. Ven Dhammika's review is very poor — it is far too long for a start. To be frank, it is hardly any better than a rant. Not that the book doesn't deserve to be criticised, but if it is so bad I wonder why Ven Dhammika even bothered?
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:02 pm

Greetings Venerable,

I agree that it is much too long, and will probably have little impact on Christian readers. Perhaps an "exective summary" would have been helpful...

Metta
Mike

Tex
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby Tex » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:27 pm

Agreed on the length, I skimmed the second half of it. I thought he demonstrated how the author didn't know what he was talking about quite well. I'm sure it won't make much difference to the Christians, but at least non-biased readers won't be led astray if they read that review.
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

Individual

Postby Individual » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:03 am

TheDhamma wrote:Ven. Shravasti Dhammika has written a book review of From Buddha to Jesus an Insiders view of Christianity and Buddhism.

Reviews, From Buddha to Jesus

Apparently the author of that book takes a very critical and ignorant view of Buddhism to writing. Fortunately, Ven. Dhammika wrote that great review to counter it.

For a similarly amusing evangelical Christian distortion of Buddhism, see Crosswalk.com's article, Share Your Faith With Buddhists.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra

Individual

Postby Individual » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:05 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I disagree. Ven Dhammika's review is very poor — it is far too long for a start. To be frank, it is hardly any better than a rant. Not that the book doesn't deserve to be criticised, but if it is so bad I wonder why Ven Dhammika even bothered?

I was thinking that myself. That is, I was thinking: Ven. Dhammika may have actually brought this book more attention than it deserves by providing his critique, giving it some semblance of value. Buddhist monks don't bother critiquing Scientologists' remarks about Buddhism, for example.

The Diamond Sutra

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:16 pm

mikenz66 wrote:Thanks TheDhamma for pointing that out. The attitude that missionary Christians have in Asia is scary...

Mike

I saw a book on scibed? which initially I though was interesting but then realised it was a handbook of how to convert Buddhists I'll look about for it post here as it seem relevant to this thread
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

jcsuperstar
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:10 pm

that is the longest review ever....
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:24 am

:lol: Yes, it is pretty long. Four out of four people have marked it as a good review or at least 'helpful.' Excellent.

arises

Postby arises » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:12 pm

Wu-Wei

Postby Wu-Wei » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:49 pm

:shock:

thornbush

Postby thornbush » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Wu-Wei wrote:Image

Individual

Postby Individual » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:28 pm

Cioccolanti has created a series of pages attacking Dhammika:
http://buddhabook.org/bookblog/?page_id=2

The Diamond Sutra

Tex

Postby Tex » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:03 pm

The simple fact is: no matter how much Pali and Sanskrit Dammika learns, no matter how many hours he chants and meditates, he will never know Buddhism the way it’s lived by the average Asian who grew up with it. That is why I wrote my book From Buddha to Jesus: An Insider’s View of Buddhism & Christianity (not an academic’s, professional’s or Western view).

So "Steve" claims to "know Buddhism" better than an ordained Buddhist monk (whose Dhamma name he can't seem to spell correctly), yet he believes the following:

There is effectively little difference, in normal parlance, between the Buddhist word “karma” and the Christian word “sin”. Karma is always followed by revenge, curses, and suffering. Sin is always followed by suffering and death.

True Buddhism is following Buddha, an Indian prince who was willing to give up his wealth, his tradition, and even his original religion (Hinduism), to search for the way to be free from karma.

Today Buddhism is a mix of Hindu idol worship, animism and local superstition.

:roll:
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:46 pm

Cioccolanti goes on a real rant against Ven. Dhammika! I have not read all of Cioccolanti's rant yet, but see some serious flaws already in his arguments:

1. Evolution does not say that there is spontaneous generation! That was a theory around the time of Darwin that was quickly dismissed. Pasteur showed that you need life to make life. Evolution focuses on natural selection and changes in the gene pool. Evolution rejects spontaneous generation.

2. I don't know much about this Law of information Cioccolanti refers to, but the major driving force is natural selection, not the additions to genomes.

3. What are these "other equally compelling factors" Cioccolanti refers to? The example he uses supports that changes are random and not directed, therefore, no "divine" influence.

And then he has the audacity to claim that he knows more about science than Ven. Dhammika. Cioccolanti is a creationist for Christ-Buddha's sake!?

Individual

Postby Individual » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:57 am

TheDhamma wrote:Cioccolanti goes on a real rant against Ven. Dhammika! I have not read all of Cioccolanti's rant yet, but see some serious flaws already in his arguments:

1. Evolution does not say that there is spontaneous generation! That was a theory around the time of Darwin that was quickly dismissed. Pasteur showed that you need life to make life. Evolution focuses on natural selection and changes in the gene pool. Evolution rejects spontaneous generation.

2. I don't know much about this Law of information Cioccolanti refers to, but the major driving force is natural selection, not the additions to genomes.

3. What are these "other equally compelling factors" Cioccolanti refers to? The example he uses supports that changes are random and not directed, therefore, no "divine" influence.

And then he has the audacity to claim that he knows more about science than Ven. Dhammika. Cioccolanti is a creationist for Christ-Buddha's sake!?

The man is a fool, most likely a fraud.

Here he says:
Let’s proceed to Dhammika’s interpretation of Christianity.

On page 4 of his book Good Question Good Answer, he writes: “In Christianity, the fish is used to symbolise Christ’s presence…” (P. 4). Used by whom? This is found nowhere in the Bible, except in one reference to Jesus calling Simon and Andrew to become “fishers of men” (Mark 1:17), which means fish is a symbol of men, not Christ.

See Wikipedia's article on Icthys. It's a fairly common Christian symbol.

See this page on his church's website:
http://www.discover.org.au/supportus.html

The Diamond Sutra

Wu-Wei

Postby Wu-Wei » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:25 am

Hmmmm ... something smells "fishy" ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtamangala

puthujjana

Postby puthujjana » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:21 am

Wu-Wei wrote:Image

I'm really shocked :shock:

Why do christians have such a big desire to convert others? I can't understand it...
"Once you understand anatta, then the burden of life is gone. You’ll be at peace with the world. When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness and we can truly be happy."
- Ajahn Chah

Return to “Open Dhamma”