your home altar/shrine

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Laurens

Re: your home altar/shrine

Post by Laurens »

PICT0048.JPG
PICT0048.JPG (473.48 KiB) Viewed 7515 times
I keep it fairly simple. I recently bought the Buddha statue off ebay at a reasonible price, its quite a nice statue but when it arrived it had the most awful paint job! So I decided to paint it black and it does look a whole lot better now! I feel like I need to get some better flowers too...
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

here is a better resolution image
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Here's my shrine. I'm sure it could be improved, but it performs its function.

As you can see, I don't do candles or incense.
Attachments
DSC03540.JPG
DSC03540.JPG (257.83 KiB) Viewed 7423 times
DSC03543.JPG
DSC03543.JPG (149.84 KiB) Viewed 7423 times
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

winter updates and changes

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

different view

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
EricJ

Post by EricJ »

Very beautiful, JC. Just out of curiosity, where did you get that tapestry? I have been looking for just such an item online, with little success.

Regards,
Eric
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

EricJ wrote:Very beautiful, JC. Just out of curiosity, where did you get that tapestry? I have been looking for just such an item online, with little success.

Regards,
Eric
its a flag, you can get them easy in Bangkok(you'll see them flying at every temple in Thailand), but also for the non-traveling type, eBay has many sizes too, well last time i checked.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

octathlon

Post by octathlon »

I finally made a shrine; it may not be quite finished yet...
shrine.jpg
shrine.jpg (309.08 KiB) Viewed 7351 times
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

octathlon wrote:I finally made a shrine; it may not be quite finished yet...
Hey, that's really very lovely. I like it.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

:twothumbsup: i like the disk behind him
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Beautiful shrines, JC and octathlon!

What a beautiful painting at your shrine, thereductor! The Buddha did like forests!
Viriya

Post by Viriya »

Jcsuperstar, the flowers on your shrine are truly beautiful! ^^ What a good reminder of impermanence!
I'm not very good at right speech, although I try, so please guide and correct me if necessary so I don't make bad kamma for myself and cause others to be annoyed. (=
plwk

Post by plwk »

In memorial of our beloved Dhamma brother JC....
Viriya

Post by Viriya »

My shrine. I know by all means the buddha rupas should be at a higher level than the offerings, but I just couldn't make it work in a small space. (=

My heart also goes out to jc and those who knew him.

May he have every good blessing,
may the devas protect him,
Through the power of all the Buddhas,
may he always be well. :anjali:
Attachments
phpHIZG8AAM.jpg
phpHIZG8AAM.jpg (117.03 KiB) Viewed 7236 times
I'm not very good at right speech, although I try, so please guide and correct me if necessary so I don't make bad kamma for myself and cause others to be annoyed. (=
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Viriya wrote:My shrine. I know by all means the buddha rupas should be at a higher level than the offerings, but I just couldn't make it work in a small space. (=
It looks like a very fine shrine, so don't fret about the height of the rupa. :twothumbsup: