Ajahn Brahms' public talk in Brisbane tonight

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
cooran

Ajahn Brahms' public talk in Brisbane tonight

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Only heard about Ajahn Brahmavamso's free public talk at Griffith University Brisbane yesterday. I've been at Retreats recently. A friend is trying to secure tickets for a group of us to go. Not feeling that hopeful - but will let you know what the talk was like .... if I get there.
Anyone else going?

http://www.griffith.edu.au/__data/asset ... m_2010.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Re: Ajahn Brahms' public talk in Brisbane tonight

Post by Ben »

I hope you get the opportunity to go, Chris!
And if you do go, I will look forward to your report.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Viriya

Post by Viriya »

I went I went I went! Bah, now my identity's blown: anyone else who went would have heard me asking questions because Ajahn Brahm scared me by quoting that not asking questions was the cause of getting reborn stupid.

Loads of Sri Lankans.
Chris, did you end up going?
I'm not very good at right speech, although I try, so please guide and correct me if necessary so I don't make bad kamma for myself and cause others to be annoyed. (=
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

Is a record of this talk available somewhere?
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Viriya wrote:I went I went I went! Bah, now my identity's blown: anyone else who went would have heard me asking questions because Ajahn Brahm scared me by quoting that not asking questions was the cause of getting reborn stupid.

Loads of Sri Lankans.
Chris, did you end up going?
Hello Viriya

Yes - I went with some Sri Lankan friends I've got to know at Dhammagiri Forest Monastery near Mt. Crosby. One of them had a hand in the organising of the evening so we got to meet Ajahn Brahms privately beforehand and paid our respects.

I was sitting in the front row LHS middle. He is an entertaining speaker. :smile:
I liked Ajahn's many jokes and stories and there was only one I had heard before.

Some questions were a little out of place in a public venue - due to needing more time needed to answer what probably would develop into a long conversation on the particular subject. I advised the lady sitting next to me who had asked about Kamma and Rebirth and only got a superficial answer, to take her question to Bhante Dhammasiha at Dhammagiri, who would have more time to answer in depth.

with metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Post by cooran »

Moggalana wrote:Is a record of this talk available somewhere?
Hello Moggalana,

Yes - you can access it here. But remember, it isn't a lecture - it's a bit of a ramble and is nearly 2 1/2 hours long.

http://www.buddhistcouncilofqueensland.org/node/2798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Chris and Viriya!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

It must have been good. I'd wish I could attend myself, though such events are never near where I live :cry:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

cooran wrote:
Moggalana wrote:Is a record of this talk available somewhere?
Hello Moggalana,

Yes - you can access it here. But remember, it isn't a lecture - it's a bit of a ramble and is nearly 2 1/2 hours long.

http://www.buddhistcouncilofqueensland.org/node/2798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
Thanks. Ajahn Brahm rambling for 2,5 hours sounds good :)
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Viriya

Post by Viriya »

It's probably proof that I've listened to too many Ajahn Brahm talks, but I'd heard every single story before except for the tsunami lottery numbers one. It's good to hear some of the golden oldies again, though, especially when the message hasn't sunk in properly. (=
Last edited by Viriya on Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not very good at right speech, although I try, so please guide and correct me if necessary so I don't make bad kamma for myself and cause others to be annoyed. (=
Guy

Post by Guy »

Thank you very much for sharing this. :)
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm