What do you use to wake up?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
KonstantKarma

Re: What do you use to wake up?

Post by KonstantKarma »

octathlon wrote:Hi KonstantKarma,
KonstantKarma wrote:Anybody out there tried the "Peaceful Progression Alarm Clock"? I've eyed it for years, but I need something rather BLARING to get me up so I figure it would be a waste of money.
I've considered it since it's the closest thing I've found to my vision of what an alarm clock should be. But it isn't close enough, and seems too complicated with the light and the scented oils (if that's the one you're referring to). I just want something that plays a nature sound or other nice sound that starts very low and gradually gets louder. I hate that default BZZEEP! BZZEEP! BZZEEP! sound they all come with.

:smile:
Yeah, that's the one. The BZZEEP thing kills me too. I wake up to the local morning show on the radio, which usually consists of news weather and a song or two at the time I get up and lay in bed trying to pull it together.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i had a Chinese CD that progressively wakes you up, it was okay, but you have to have a CD player with an alarm
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

joelop wrote:
Annapurna wrote:Why force things that don't come natural?
Natural is lazyness, sloth, torpor and one has to strive to get rid of these & other obstacles.
Not only. As you said yourself, it is also being a day animal with new energy and activity in the morning. (Me too!)

That's what I meant with utilizing what comes natural.

When hungry- eat, when tired- sleep, when it itches- scratch it.

That preserves one's life's energy, rather than using up more than neccessary through resistance.

Btw, seperate bedrooms; as Ben suggested; are really a good idea. I also have seperate bedrooms. I have a very light sleep and wake up when the other does.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Annapurna wrote:
When hungry- eat, when tired- sleep, when it itches- scratch it.
When sexually aroused, make the beast with two backs? When angry, strike out?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
chownah

Post by chownah »

In the days of yore...when American Indians (Native Americans?) had to get up early (to go scalp white people presumably) they would drink alot of water before retiring.......I suggest making an "alarm glass".....it is a large water glass with markings on the side to indicate how much water to drink to awake at what time.....I should probably patent this invention but since I am definitely of the opinion that intellectual property has no self I guess I'll suppress my desire to get rich off of this most excellent idea....
chownah
Tex

Post by Tex »

jcsuperstar wrote:i use my cell phone as an alarm.

i'm not worried about cancer from it, i mean i'm not the greatest scientific mind around but something tells me that there cant be too much of a risk, the "waves" are out there bouncing off of everything, my phone is just an antenna and a speaker for converting them into sound, so i should be exposed to the same amount of radiation with or with out the phone.
Exactly. Cell phones have been in heavy use for, what, about 15 years? If there was any significant risk of brain cancer we would have already seen an increase in cases. This fear isn't much different from the 80's when people were afraid to buy microwaves. And yet people think nothing of going out in the sun wearing next to nothing!
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
zavk

Post by zavk »

My partner is anything but a light sleeper--so no problems for me there! I use a recording of the Burmese bell/gong (downloaded from some Buddhist website) as the alarm ringtone. I like it, reminds me of being on Goenka retreats. But the vibration of the mobile starts before the ringtone comes on. The sound of it vibrating on the bedside table is enough to wake me up--if only to hit the snooze button (again and again....)

:zzz: :smile:
With metta,
zavk
joelop

Post by joelop »

chownah wrote:....I suggest making an "alarm glass".....it is a large water glass with markings on the side to indicate how much water to drink to awake at what time....
I couldn't do this since everytime I drink a glass of water I have to go to the toilet half an hour later :cry:
Viriya

Post by Viriya »

My mother is a shift worker. She works varying shifts at all kinds of ungodly hours.

Before she goes to sleep, she says to herself, 'I will wake up at 1am', and she concentrates very hard on it. She's never used an alarm in her life to my knowledge, and she tells me she's accurate, often to the minute. She says it just takes practice.

I know this works because I used to do it myself, back in the days when I still had something resembling a circadian rhythm. If you always go to sleep and wake up at the same time, it becomes an easy habit without an alarm.

Try it!
I'm not very good at right speech, although I try, so please guide and correct me if necessary so I don't make bad kamma for myself and cause others to be annoyed. (=
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

I use a meditation timer that makes a pleasant chiming sound, thus protecting my spouse from an attack of the grumpies.
http://www.salubrion.com/products/ensoclock/
Last edited by Shonin on Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

I actually use a Dawn Simulator which is basically a dimmer on a timer which is programmable to gradually brighten a lamp at a specific time. (I've got it set for 7 AM.)
http://www.lighttherapyproducts.com/sun_up.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You wake up naturally when it gets full-bright, no need for beeps and vibes. However, you have to get used to waking up at the same time every day. If you set it to some odd time when you don't usually wake up, you'll probably be waking up late.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Individual

Post by Individual »

joelop wrote: How do you -who share room with a partner who does not want to be awoken 1h earlier- solve this problem? Is there any device out there for these cases? I've been thinking that an ankle bracelet which vibrates with no sound when the time is right would be a good idea if it's not invented yet :smile:
They have vibrating alarm clocks for the deaf. Get one and some ear-plugs.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

joelop wrote: I want to start again my morning meditation sessions before doing anything else for the day, the problem is that, if I set up my alarm to get up earlier than usual, I'll wake my partner up who shares my bed.
Convert your partner to Buddhism. ;)

Spiny
Sanjog

Post by Sanjog »

I think drinking lot of water actually works. At least when I need to wake up early.
Individual

Post by Individual »

Ignore what I said above. I wasn't paying very good attention to the original post.

Joelop, if you don't have the resources to do daily sitting meditation, you should not abuse yourself and others for the sake of some formal practice. Getting a vibrating alarm clock might work, or it might also wake your partner up too when your wrist or ankle starts jiggling. You do not have to go to such extreme measures.

Instead, I am sure that there are other moments during the day when you have a quiet space.

Examples:
-When you are showering
-When you are walking out the door and to your car
-When you are in public transportation (bus or train)
-When you are on your lunchbreak
-When you eat dinner
-When you are doing chores, such as dishes, walking the dog, emptying the cat box, etc..

You could do sitting meditation at the end of the day. But even if you don't have the time, then (plus you might be tired?), you can instead seize the moments above as an opportunity to be particularly mindful, to reflect on your immediate surroundings, observe your own mind, and reflect on how your present actions have impacted yourself and others.
Spiny O'Norman wrote:
joelop wrote: I want to start again my morning meditation sessions before doing anything else for the day, the problem is that, if I set up my alarm to get up earlier than usual, I'll wake my partner up who shares my bed.
Convert your partner to Buddhism. ;)

Spiny
What if his partner is a Christian or Muslim? Perhaps they should convert him.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra