Kamma and getting old

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Kamma and getting old

Postby purplemaureen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:56 am

This may have been answered before but I am new and cannot find any posts that make reference to this topic...
When some people get old they get dementia or alzemiers. Their lives are extremely difficult after the disease has progressed, their mind is gone, but the body lives on.
Is this the result of kamma? I know life just being life is suffering, including getting old, but not all who get old get alzemiers or dementia so is this version of getting old with the added horror of your mind going before your body knows when to quit a result of kamma?
purplemaureen

Re: Kamma and getting old

Postby Sanghamitta » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:11 am

The Buddha taught that it was unwise to speculate about the kamma vipaka involved in the arising of any particular conditions.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby 5heaps » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:31 am

why do you think the mind has gone?
its there, but its worked its way into serious dysfunction.

all mental events are of course dependent on karma of similar type. bad result, bad cause. there may be physical components to it but these are almost secondary
A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."
5heaps

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:43 am

Greetings Maureen,

I've heard that activities that stimulate the mind (e.g. chess, crosswords, sudoku, meditation) help to prevent the onset of dementia and alzemiers.

In terms of sutta reference a, see...

SN 22.1: Nakulapita Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

"And how is one afflicted in body but unafflicted in mind? There is the case where a well-instructed disciple of the noble ones — who has regard for noble ones, is well-versed & disciplined in their Dhamma; who has regard for men of integrity, is well-versed & disciplined in their Dhamma — does not assume form to be the self, or the self as possessing form, or form as in the self, or the self as in form. He is not seized with the idea that 'I am form' or 'Form is mine.' As he is not seized with these ideas, his form changes & alters, but he does not fall into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, or despair over its change & alteration.

"He does not assume feeling to be the self...

"He does not assume perception to be the self...

"He does not assume fabrications to be the self...

"He does not assume consciousness to be the self, or the self as possessing consciousness, or consciousness as in the self, or the self as in consciousness. He is not seized with the idea that 'I am consciousness' or 'Consciousness is mine.' As he is not seized with these ideas, his consciousness changes & alters, but he does not fall into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, or despair over its change & alteration.

"This, householder, is how one is afflicted in body but unafflicted in mind."

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:56 pm

Yes, and kill the TV and engage in activities that stimulate the mind.

We just live a lot longer than we used to and parts wear out, like with all mechanical systems. Some of our machines are better built due to genetics and last longer due to good maintenance. My 1998 Honda CRV was built in Japan and I kept up on the maintenance, it has 206,000 miles and runs like a new car. Guy down the street has a 2005 Ford truck rusting out and blowing smoke, it's a goner. He also chain smokes and lives on pork products and malt liquor. Bet both me and my car I outlive him.

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
BubbaBuddhist

Postby cooran » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Hello all,

There are over 100 different types of dementia.

Some of the more common causes are outlined at this website.
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scrip ... epageID=29

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Return to Open Dhamma