Science-Earthquake

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Sherab

Re: Science-Earthquake

Post by Sherab »

lojong1 wrote:
Sherab wrote:I think the Buddha had to explain things according to the accepted knowledge of the times, even if he knew that the accepted knowledge was incorrect.
Even to a Sotapanna?
Yes. Whatever he taught would be known eventually to others as well. Besides, do you think a Sotapanna has knowledge even close to a Buddha's?
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

Sherab wrote:
lojong1 wrote:
Sherab wrote:I think the Buddha had to explain things according to the accepted knowledge of the times, even if he knew that the accepted knowledge was incorrect.
Even to a Sotapanna?
Yes. Whatever he taught would be known eventually to others as well. Besides, do you think a Sotapanna has knowledge even close to a Buddha's?
A sotapanna does not have a buddha's knowledge, but he has faith in Buddha and all he teaches--especially strong faith when this particular sotapanna has personally attended Buddha for many years. His progress cannot be slowed by truth spoken by a Buddha--in person--even if contemporary science would not have accepted it.
Why teach non-truth to others that is already commonly accepted 'knowledge' of the times and also unrelated to liberation?
Buddha: "By the way, Ananda, this controversial earthquake business...some folks won't take it so well, so keep it to yourself eh?"
Last edited by lojong1 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

ākāsaṭṭho...I can't find much info on this word, except that some devas live there.
Oh found it, it's an adjective. Continuation of the "established upon" pattern is not entailed by the Pali. Vaato may not be to ākāsaṭṭho as earth to water and water to vaato.
rahula80

Post by rahula80 »

Hi,

Many thanks to all of you. Interesting.

Lojong1, perhaps you could offer a translation? Maybe together with a commentary?

Best wishes,
Rahula
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

rahula80 wrote:Lojong1, perhaps you could offer a translation? Maybe together with a commentary?
You slay me! I can't read Pali, and my native language skills are fading with disuse.
I just mug and bluff here because "Different types of people see the same thing differently and thus a group working together can get an all round understanding (this is only valid if the ‘work group’ contains enough diversity, which is often not the case); and differences between people can lead to useful ‘friction’ providing energy for inner work."
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

lojong1 wrote:That's no reason to assume he would spread unnecessary BS among his closest students, those who already had full faith in his words and had been exposed to his methods for many years with all kinds of audiences.
The simple explanation is that clearly profound and highly intelligent as he was, his understanding of geology and plate tectonics was not great by modern standards.
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

Dang it okay I'm tapping. I was so sure that earthquakes had something to do with tectonic plate movement due to gravitational shifts through massive liquids above the crust and in the outer core, and that Buddha and modern science agreed at least that far.
Last edited by lojong1 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

What is the origin of tapping? Trying to think of ways to keep the idea that the Buddha of the Pali Canon, is omniscient? Forget it.
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

Not omniscient, just not a bullsheisser. Tapping as in MMA I give up--or rather, my arm's good and trapped, let's reset.
Last edited by lojong1 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

Well I don't think that there's any reason to suppose he was deliberately misleading anyone. He was simply expressing himself in terms of the understand of his day (which was almost certainly his understanding too, as I see it). The earth is established upon liquid, the liquid upon the atmosphere, and the atmosphere upon space. Of course it is. Don't you know anything?
rahula80

Post by rahula80 »

Hi,

I took a look at the link provided by Lojong1.

Paul A. LaViolette looks like a credible scientist. He has published in peer-reviewed journal. His book Earth under Fire is based on his PhD dissertation. Anybody who think otherwise would care to comment?

His theory, too, may lend support to what the Buddha said.

Anyway, my POV is that to find scientific answers to scientific querries in the Suttas is improper and wrong.

Best wishes,
Rahula
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

There's that smell again...rose scented animal feces.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

lojong1 wrote:There's that smell again...rose scented animal feces.
Surely not ... I'm sure they're violet scented this time.
:toilet:
Kim
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

rahula80 wrote:... my POV is that to find scientific answers to scientific querries in the Suttas is improper and wrong.
I fully agree.
Science grows by building onto what it already knows, testing every addition as it does so.
:namaste:
Kim
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

rahula80 wrote:... my POV is that to find scientific answers to scientific querries in the Suttas is improper and wrong.
Will someone disambiguate this for me?