Vipassana is mindfulness?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
5heaps

Re: Vipassana is mindfulness?

Post by 5heaps »

tiltbillings wrote:Is ultimate truth "more real" than conventional truth?
from the point of view of simple existence theyre both real. for example both a hand and its deepest nature can rightly be said to exist.
a hand however is totally unreal from the pov of a deceived mind, since its perceived nature is a delusion. seeing a hand by definition obstructs the perception of its real nature. this mind, though, is correct with regard to the simple existence of the hand.
You really did not read what was written. Ultimately there are not indivisible mind moments.
i did. what makes you think there are not indivisible mind moments, from what is said in your quote? im sort of starting to think that by indivisible unit you take it to mean "absolute unity/single reality", which is not at all what i mean by indivisible. what i mean is the deepest characteristic nature at the root of deceptive characteristic natures.
Shonin wrote:Any preference or apparent superiority of ultimate truth over conventional truth must be a conventional distinction.
how do you understand conventional truths?
A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Quite honestly in all of what follows, I have not a clue as to what you are talking about.
5heaps wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Is ultimate truth "more real" than conventional truth?
from the point of view of simple existence theyre both real. for example both a hand and its deepest nature can rightly be said to exist.
a hand however is totally unreal from the pov of a deceived mind, since its perceived nature is a delusion. seeing a hand by definition obstructs the perception of its real nature. this mind, though, is correct with regard to the simple existence of the hand.
I am talking about the notion of two truths here. What are you talking about?
You really did not read what was written. Ultimately there are not indivisible mind moments.
i did. what makes you think there are not indivisible mind moments, from what is said in your quote? im sort of starting to think that by indivisible unit you take it to mean "absolute unity/single reality", which is not at all what i mean by indivisible. what i mean is the deepest characteristic nature at the root of deceptive characteristic natures.
Are you talking about "mind moments" as discrete entities, which is what "partless particles" certainly suggests, if not outright indicates? What do you mean? You are using jargon here without defining it, which does not help at all understand what you are saying.
what i mean is the deepest characteristic nature at the root of deceptive characteristic natures
And that means what? So, please explain in clear, lucid English what a "partless particle" is. Are you referring to dhammas as found in the Abhidhamma? Or what?
Shonin wrote:Any preference or apparent superiority of ultimate truth over conventional truth must be a conventional distinction.
how do you understand conventional truths?
How do you understand the two truths? Is the "conventional truth" you are asking about the same "conventional truth" as found in the two truths?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Jack

Post by Jack »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:Hi Jack,

Yes, sorry to drag jhana, etc into it. That wasn't my intention. All I was pointing out is that I don't think that it is accurate say that mindfulness is insight. As I understand it, it's one of the factors for the arising of insight. I think that's an important distinction.

In fact, it could be argued that sati is also not something one can practise in the sense of turning it on. One practises paying attention, which, with luck, leads to the arising of sati itself.
=====
That makes sense. Paying attention is the basis for sati which can be the basis for vipassana ( insight ). But is there a fundamental difference between these processes on and off the cushion?

Spiny
=====
There is is a distinction between insight meditation which is a technique and and insight which is a result that I think is not being made in your above posts.

Also, my previous post said >I think vipassana/insight meditation is a further refinement of mindfulness. Vipassana/insight meditation is specifically looking for the 3 Marks in all phenomena.< This is not saying mindfulness is insight. I was trying to make a distinction between two techniques.

jack
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

Jack wrote: Vipassana/insight meditation is specifically looking for the 3 Marks in all phenomena.
jack
I'm not sure. In insight meditation are we actively looking for the 3 characteristics, or just noticing the way things are?

Spiny
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
Jack wrote: Vipassana/insight meditation is specifically looking for the 3 Marks in all phenomena.
jack
I'm not sure. In insight meditation are we actively looking for the 3 characteristics, or just noticing the way things are?

Spiny
In general terms that noticing has the effect of confirming that the way things is best desribed by the 3 Marks.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

Sanghamitta wrote:
Spiny O'Norman wrote:
jack

Spiny
In general terms that noticing has the effect of confirming that the way things is best desribed by the 3 Marks.
But surely that's an insight as opposed a practice?
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

The noticing is part of the practice.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
jack

Spiny
====================================
A friend of mine is a college biology professor and a birder (studies birds). Several years ago I went on a birding trip led by him. We went to an ordinary Midwest grove of trees and found 42 species of birds. He showed us how the birds guarded their territory and many other facets of bird behavior. It was fascinating stuff. Now I have a much richer appreciation and see much more when I go out in nature. I don't actively look for the things that I was shown in that birding trip but I notice them.

My insight practice has gone the same way. For example, several years ago I started doing 4 Material Elements meditations. In one session I might actively look for, for example, the fire element in all phenomena that enters a sense door. After doing this for a month or two, I dropped it. It had become part of me. I went from an actively looking for specific things to just noticing them. Same with the 3 Marks.

jack
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Jack
I recommend that you keep it up. Insight meditation is more correctly bhavana (mental cultivation). While one should get to a point where observing the changing nature of phenomena should be relaxed and natural, it shouldn't be dropped if you feel you are doing it unbidden in daily life. Because if you drop it, that is when the mental cultivation stops.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

Jack wrote:My insight practice has gone the same way. For example, several years ago I started doing 4 Material Elements meditations. In one session I might actively look for, for example, the fire element in all phenomena that enters a sense door. After doing this for a month or two, I dropped it. It had become part of me. I went from an actively looking for specific things to just noticing them. Same with the 3 Marks.

jack
My experience has been similar. It seems as if we gradually develop a familiarity with different aspects of Dhamma so that we do actually notice them.

Spiny
delora

Post by delora »

couldn't you say that about anything?

eg. if you look for the bad in someone, you will see the bad in them. Soon you will notice it without even looking for it.

if you look for the good, the same would apply.

this may not correspond to the actual levels of good and bad in a person. ie, your desire to look for a particular quality, in a person, may distort your sense of quantity of that quality, compared to other qualities also present.

ie, if you look for goodness in a person, you may later feel that they are more good than bad, when in reality they are more bad than good.
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

delora wrote:couldn't you say that about anything?

Yes, you could. For me it underlines the need to have an openess of mind rather than to have preconceptions - not always easy to do. ;)

Spiny