Allowed attachment extensions

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Ytrog

Allowed attachment extensions

Post by Ytrog »

I wanted to upload a .tex file today and the board wouldn't allow it. It's a harmless format which is essentially plain text. It is used to format documents (in PDF, for example).
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
mikenz66

Re: Allowed attachment extensions

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Ytrog,

A work around is to put the files in a zip archive, which most OS's can unpack automatically. The board software does seem to allow me to post .zip files...

Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Any file can be uploaded as a zip attachment, so there is no need to support the less common extensions. Text files will also be much smaller if compressed.

Install 7-Zip to reduce file sizes even further than standard Zip utilities.
Attachments
Tex.txt
(908 Bytes) Downloaded 111 times
Tex.7z
(579 Bytes) Downloaded 101 times
Tex.zip
(617 Bytes) Downloaded 106 times
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

I know the tricks, thanks. I just want to be able to upload these without work-arounds as it would be nice if people could cooperate on texts (translations, trnascriptions, etc.) together here without hassle.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings ytrog,

I had a quick look into what the format is about and it seems alright to add to the list of allowed extensions.

Feel free to load a small document into this topic as a test.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Ok.

:thanks:
Attachments
A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma.tex
(65.8 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ytrog,

What do you need in order to be able to open files of this extension?

MEtta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

To open those files: notepad

To use those files, see: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 829#p91692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a list of what I use.

Some tutorials:
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwilkins/LaTeXPrimer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://tobi.oetiker.ch/lshort/lshort.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.andy-roberts.net/misc/latex/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ece.uprm.edu/~caceros/latex/introduction.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ytrog,

From your experience, how does this format differ from the more traditional TXT format?

Metta,
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Retro,

TeX (and LaTeX, a set of macros written in TeX) is a powerful typesetting tool written by a famous computer scientist (Donald Knuth), who wrote it because he was dissatisfied with the available tools when he was writing his series of books on The Art of Computer Programming http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of ... rogramming" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The typesetting algorithms developed by Knuth for TeX (some of which were PhD projects by his students) are very powerful, particularly for mathematics, enabling one to produce manuscripts and books of the very highest quality (unlike most consumer-level commercial software...), so TeX/LaTeX is a standard format in Mathematics/Physics/Computer Science circles, and the preferred submission format for journals such as Physical Review.

TeX/LaTeX input files are plain text, with text markup (like in html, or on this board), so you can write using your favourite text editor, and not in some proprietary binary format. And you don't have to worry that there will be some change of version that will render your files useless...

Of course, for most people a WYSIWYG tool like OpenOffice (or some commercial package like Word) will probably be more convenient, but for technical documents TeX/LaTeX is hard to beat...

Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

PS, Retro, you might enjoy this note about Knuth's article "The Complexity of Songs"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complexity_of_Songs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is also a link to the entire article...

Mike
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

I would also add that for any long text or even books it's hard to beat.