How to greet a Novice monk?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Cittasanto

Re: How to greet a Novice monk?

Post by Cittasanto »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Ajahn Chah even calls mosquitoes as “Ajahn Mosquito."
I have met a dog called Ajahn Tommy because of his weak bladder at a disciple of Ajahn Chahs Monartery, and have heard Ajahn Chah(I believe it was although in the story no Ajahn was mentioned By name but I did miss the part of the talk just before the story) called a young boy Novice Ajahn because he told him his robes were a mess
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
AlaskanDhamma

Post by AlaskanDhamma »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Ajahn Chah even calls mosquitoes as “Ajahn Mosquito."

What?
"Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace." -Buddha
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings AlaskanDhamma,
AlaskanDhamma wrote:What?
As Ajahn Chah would say "everything is teaching us"... therefore I assume it was intended in the context of the mosquito as a teacher. Or rather, that there is a lot to be learned from observing our reactions to irritation.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Right. Anyone can be our teacher if we have the right attitude, so we should not disregard the young novice or treat him like a child. I couldn't find the reference to check it, but if I recall correctly, the Buddha said that there are four things that should be treated with respect, in spite of their youth and small size:

1. A poisonous snake
2. A fire
3. A prince who is the son of a monarch
4. A novice monk.

Due to their youth, novices may like to play football or practice kung fu, but don't let such outward signs make you disregard them as childish. Some novices may have a good understanding of Dhamma. I remember one young novice at Wat Pah Nanachat who was short for his age, but he was wise way beyond his years. He probably had more insight than some of the senior bhikkhus.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
AlaskanDhamma

Post by AlaskanDhamma »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings AlaskanDhamma,
AlaskanDhamma wrote:What?
As Ajahn Chah would say "everything is teaching us"... therefore I assume it was intended in the context of the mosquito as a teacher. Or rather, that there is a lot to be learned from observing our reactions to irritation.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Ahhhh, I see now. Just was a little confuzzled at first.
AlaskanDhamma

Post by AlaskanDhamma »

As for respect, that was the purpose of asking my original question. I wanted to make sure they did receive a respectful greeting. After all, they will most likely continue to stay in the robes and become an "Ajahn" anyways.