Walking vs. running for fitness - 15 Articles

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

http://www.helium.com/knowledge/10121-w ... or-fitness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you think?

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Hanzze

Re: Walking vs. running for fitness - 15 Articles

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
poto

Post by poto »

I'm in favor of walking.

Personally, I don't think our bodies are meant to run long distances. To me it seems more like we are designed to walk long distances and run/sprint for short distances to avoid danger.

Running is hard on the body, it puts a lot of stress on the joints. As we get older that starts to take a greater toll. I may be a bit biased having already had some joint problems, but I feel that running isn't an ideal exercise. Although, it is possible that with future advances in regenerate medicine, we will be able to regrow cartilage and that will become a non-issue.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
alan

Post by alan »

Sprint. Rest. Sprint again. Take a rest, then sprint. Then run.
Do yoga in between.
Lift weights every 3 or 4 days.
That is pretty much it.
alan

Post by alan »

Oh, you also have to eat right. I can show you how to do these things.
alan

Post by alan »

If you can't sprint, then just walk the stairs, and take it from there. Anything that gets your heart elevated is always good. Make sure it is intense; low level cardio is a waste of time.
effort

Post by effort »

i love walking, i tried running before but that is hard for me, walking also a mental practice for me to keep the mind away from day dreaming.
alan

Post by alan »

If you can walk you can probably run.
Want a good mental practice? Try holding two extremely heavy dumb bells over your chest. Lift, repeat. Works for me.
I've found it is hard to be depressed when massive weight is hovering over your body.
timmbuktwo

Post by timmbuktwo »

Walking would be my vote, many self-insights and self-healing can occur, while running generally only awareness is on breathing, not much more.
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

alan wrote:If you can't sprint, then just walk the stairs, and take it from there. Anything that gets your heart elevated is always good. Make sure it is intense; low level cardio is a waste of time.
Low level cardio is not a waste of time. For example, my cholesterol went from 219 to 184 in 4 months from walking 1-2 miles most weekdays during my breaks.
alan

Post by alan »

Great!
But that does not address my point. You may have had better results with higher intensity.
timmbuktwo

Post by timmbuktwo »

Low level cardio is not a waste of time. For example, my cholesterol went from 219 to 184 in 4 months from walking 1-2 miles most weekdays during my breaks.[/quote]

higher level does not mean higher results . Excellent achievement , keep it up and you will achieve all you can imagine!
alan

Post by alan »

Higher level of effort equates to higher results. Pretty much a fact of life, isn't it?
timmbuktwo

Post by timmbuktwo »

No, higher effort equates to higher results only if those results are those which you wished to accomplish. Too much today is made of this distinction that the better the effort the better the result, however, what if the aimed goal /result of the person wasn't that which they were aiming for to begin with ? Then what? Aim each's own effort towards those results which each deems fit to their own well-being.
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

alan wrote:Great!
But that does not address my point. You may have had better results with higher intensity.
Yes, it directly addresses your point because you said "low level cardio is a waste of time". I wanted to mention my experience that contradicts that, because not everyone can always do higher intensity stuff and I want to encourage people to go ahead and do whatever level they can, because even low level cardio can have very good health benefits!
timmbuktwo wrote:Excellent achievement , keep it up and you will achieve all you can imagine!
:thanks: Thanks for the encouragement, timmbuktwo :)