Monk for a Month?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Dhammakid

Re: Monk for a Month?

Post by Dhammakid »

Hi all,
I've admired this program for a while now after hearing about it on facebook, although I do find the many drawbacks discussed here are really good points to consider.

Anyway, I would love to do it if I can muster up enough money to make a reasonable donation.

Does anyone know if a male wishing to participate in the novice ordination stay with the program has to be debt-free and receive parental permission?

Thanks.

:anjali:
Dhammakid
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

Dhammakid wrote:Hi all,
I've admired this program for a while now after hearing about it on facebook, although I do find the many drawbacks discussed here are really good points to consider.

Anyway, I would love to do it if I can muster up enough money to make a reasonable donation.

Does anyone know if a male wishing to participate in the novice ordination stay with the program has to be debt-free and receive parental permission?

Thanks.

Dhammakid
Hi DK.
The temple where Monk for a month is,is in the Maha Nikaya tradition so these questions probably do not arise for the samanera ordination.It is definately asked in the Dhammayuttika Order.
If you were to go onto higher ordination the answer to your questions would be yes.
You might try emailing them.They are more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
With metta
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

Nanadhaja wrote:
Dhammakid wrote:Hi all,

Thanks.

Dhammakid
Hi DK.
The temple where Monk for a month is,is in the Maha Nikaya tradition so these questions probably do not arise for the samanera ordination.It is definately asked in the Dhammayuttika Order.
If you were to go onto higher ordination the answer to your questions would be yes.
You might try emailing them.They are more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
With metta
Thank you Venerable.

Dhammakid
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

yuttadhammo wrote:
Nanadhaja wrote:The month for a monk programme is now free.
Does that mean the preceptor and quorum monks will stop taking money for the ordination as well? :)
The quorum of monks is only for full ordination...not to novice.
The fact that the 'gift' of money in an envelope is given to the attending monks AFTER the ceremony has been performed would mean to me that any amount of money is appropriate.
If they are disatisfied with it, then they cannot call it null and void, and are just showing their greed. Of course, a Thai family would do their best not to lose 'face'...but foreigners are not troubled by such stupidity... which is ego based and is supposed to be reduced by annatta I believe....
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

fabianfred wrote:
yuttadhammo wrote:
Nanadhaja wrote:The month for a monk programme is now free.
Does that mean the preceptor and quorum monks will stop taking money for the ordination as well? :)
The quorum of monks is only for full ordination...not to novice.
The fact that the 'gift' of money in an envelope is given to the attending monks AFTER the ceremony has been performed would mean to me that any amount of money is appropriate.
If they are disatisfied with it, then they cannot call it null and void, and are just showing their greed. Of course, a Thai family would do their best not to lose 'face'...but foreigners are not troubled by such stupidity... which is ego based and is supposed to be reduced by annatta I believe....
Ah, sorry, I forgot... it's not actually monk ordination. Just a misplaced quip on my part, please forgive.

I don't quite understand the references to stupidity and ego, but just to be clear, I wasn't attacking "Monk for a month", so much as arguing against short ordinations, samanera or bhikkhu, in general as detracting from the sincerity and purity of the sangha, something I think is verifiable in modern Buddhist society.
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

The stupidity was directed at those who are concerned about 'face'...which is just our ego trying to assert itself. Since Buddhists should be trying to diminish the ego by realising the truth of Annatta then they should have no problems with the 'face' issue.
A major hinderance for many Asians I'm afraid.
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

The short-term ordination of foreigners as novices for a week or two offered by Monk4aMonth is different from the ususal 'buat gair bon'...ordaining to keep mum happy... by normal Thai boys.
The foreigners are interested in learning about the religion and getting practical experience, rather than just reading books about it sat comfortably at home.
Relatively wealthy Farang going on alms-round and enjoying the generousity of the relatively poor local people is something which has to be experienced, and the M4aM guests are always moved by it.
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

fabianfred wrote:The short-term ordination of foreigners as novices for a week or two offered by Monk4aMonth is different from the ususal 'buat gair bon'...ordaining to keep mum happy... by normal Thai boys.
The foreigners are interested in learning about the religion and getting practical experience, rather than just reading books about it sat comfortably at home.
Relatively wealthy Farang going on alms-round and enjoying the generousity of the relatively poor local people is something which has to be experienced, and the M4aM guests are always moved by it.
Hello Bhante.I really understand the feeling that you express in your last sentence.Pindapata continues to move me each time I do it.
With metta
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

My favourite time of day...and good for practicing mindfulness too...
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

The MonkforaMonth project has now finished. The Blood Foundation which started it had personal problems with myself and the other foreign monk here at our temple, Phra Chuntawongso. Since it changed to a free, donation based thing the Blood Foundation were not making any funding from it but still had it as a major draw for guests to join their other activities.

The program itself of having visitors stay at the temple and be taught the Dhamma and Vipassana meditation, whilst living in the community, is still active, and the possibility to ordain as a novice for a short time is also available.

Phra Chuntawongso's blog here... http://watsriboenruang.wordpress.com/about-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a guests blog on his stay... http://soundmagus.co.uk/vipassana/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have had enquiries about monk ordination which hasn't happened yet, but would require a long stay of several months before we could assess the suitability and determination of the applicant.

Both Phra Chuntawongso and myself are also on Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/fabian.blandford" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;