Displaying ordination date for monks

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
yuttadhammo

Displaying ordination date for monks

Post by yuttadhammo »

Just a suggestion to all the bhikkhus and bhikkhunis out there, that we put our ordination dates in our signature. That would make it easier for everyone to know how to address our fellow monastics (for those of you who don't know, senior monks are to be addressed as "Bhante" and junior monks as "avuso" or by their first name, according to the Buddha's last words (cp. D. 16 tathāgatapacchimavācā)).

An example is in my signature
|
|
|
V
Ytrog

Re: Displaying ordination date for monks

Post by Ytrog »

So, according to your signature it would be Avaso this year and Bhante next year?
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Ytrog wrote:So, according to your signature it would be Avaso this year and Bhante next year?
Not really…it's more to do with how monastics address themselves, nothing to do with lay people…as a side note, to be polite/respectful (if that is one's intention), 'Venerable' pretty much covers all the bases, for everyone, lay and monastic…this is my interpretation and, given human nature, not to be agreed with by all...
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Venerable Yuttadhammo,

Ordained members are certainly welcome to follow your lead should they choose to do so, and thank you for your suggestion. It's a nice touch that which will help our members with appropriate forms of address.

It's worth mentioning though that we don't intend though to pursue the enforcement of any differing standards between the ordained and non-ordained, as this opens up a whole can of worms that frankly does not need to be opened.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
nyanasuci

Post by nyanasuci »

appicchato wrote:…as a side note, to be polite/respectful (if that is one's intention), 'Venerable' pretty much covers all the bases, for everyone, lay and monastic…this is my interpretation and, given human nature, not to be agreed with by all...
:goodpost: That is more reasonable than giving dates of my upasampada.
Anyway we do not have many monks here, and - I think - I khow all of them who are part of this forum, and therefore I know their seniority. So, Bhante Yuttadhammo, I am junior to you.
With best wishes! :namaste:
Bhikkhu Hiriko - Ñāṇasuci

The experts do not say that one is a sage in this world because of view, or learning, or knowledge, Nanda.
I call them sages who wander without association, without affliction, without desire.

The Buddha, Sn.V.8.2 (1078)

http://pathpress.org | http://nanavira.org | http://ajahnchah.org
Ben

Post by Ben »

Sangham saranam gacchami!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

Sorry I missed the replies... didn't think anyone was interested in the topic :)
appicchato wrote:…as a side note, to be polite/respectful (if that is one's intention), 'Venerable' pretty much covers all the bases, for everyone, lay and monastic…this is my interpretation and, given human nature, not to be agreed with by all...[/i]
Indeed, the bhante/avuso is only a monastic thing, and I certainly wasn't suggesting it be made into some forum rule, but it was one of only four injunctions of the Buddha before his final passing away that we address each other according to seniority, not just calling each other "avuso" any more:
yathā kho panānanda, etarahi bhikkhū aññamaññaṃ āvusovādena samudācaranti, na kho mamaccayena evaṃ samudācaritabbaṃ. theratarena, ānanda, bhikkhunā navakataro bhikkhu nāmena vā gottena vā āvusovādena vā samudācaritabbo. navakatarena bhikkhunā therataro bhikkhu `bhante'ti vā `āyasmā'ti vā samudācaritabbo.

"And, Ananda, whereas now the bhikkhus address one another as 'friend,' let it not be so when I am gone. The senior bhikkhus, Ananda, may address the junior ones by their name, their family name, or as 'friend'; but the junior bhikkhus should address the senior ones as 'venerable sir' or 'your reverence.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... tml#fnt-55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anyway, if it seems overly overt to put the date in our signatures, I'm happy to remove it, just thought it would make things go smoother for the monks here.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,
yuttadhammo wrote:Anyway, if it seems overly overt to put the date in our signatures, I'm happy to remove it, just thought it would make things go smoother for the monks here.
As I said above, I think it's a nice touch... it's just that we won't be mandating that others follow suit.

:anjali:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Individual

Post by Individual »

retrofuturist wrote: As I said above, I think it's a nice touch...
I agree.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra