Out of track...

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Out of track...

Postby venkatad » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:21 am

I had been practicing vipassana in the tradition of S.N.Goenka. I took 2 courses and I loved it. I have practiced for some time and slowly got out of track. Now I am almost not practicing at all.
I have plans to go a course soon. Set a deadline to start practicing before i go for the course, BUT not able to do. I have 1 yr old kid. and you all know how attachments rockets esp when you have baby.
I am NOT much determined to go. BUT most of these days -ve thinking linger in my mind for quite some time. some time depression too. I started practicing YOGA and bit of meditation 30 mins each a day, which gives relief to some extent.
SOme times I feel:
Do I really need to go and stress in 10day course.
Don't/ can't I practice other forms of bhuddist meditation?
but when i become depressed and when i come out of it, I feel Yes i Should do a 10 day course NO matter what.....

what do you suggest???
Anyways I love vipassana but worrying thing is I am not practicing....
venkatad

Re: Out of track...

Postby Ben » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:36 am

Greetings venkatad

I've been a practitioner and student of SN Goenka for a long time and during my time as a practitioner, I have had kids. I know it can be difficult balancing work, family responsibilities and practice. I had to get up before dawn to meditate and again after everyone had gone to bed. It can be done. You just need to develop an iron-willed determination and have the 'spiritual' energy to do it day after day. But the benefits of maintaining your practice during difficult times - there's nothing like it.
If you feel particularly drawn to SN Goenka's approach, then by all means continue with what you have been doing and make plans to do another 10-day course in the future.
If not, and you are curious of other approaches, then by all means explore those other options.
All the best,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby venkatad » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:57 am

Ben wrote:Greetings venkatad

I've been a practitioner and student of SN Goenka for a long time and during my time as a practitioner, I have had kids. I know it can be difficult balancing work, family responsibilities and practice. I had to get up before dawn to meditate and again after everyone had gone to bed. It can be done. You just need to develop an iron-willed determination and have the 'spiritual' energy to do it day after day. But the benefits of maintaining your practice during difficult times - there's nothing like it.
If you feel particularly drawn to SN Goenka's approach, then by all means continue with what you have been doing and make plans to do another 10-day course in the future.
If not, and you are curious of other approaches, then by all means explore those other options.
All the best,

Ben

infact SN Goenka tradition well suits to me...I am really into it, and i believe in it . So i ll try to follow u r suggestions.
Thanks
venkatad

Postby Sanghamitta » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:55 am

The fact that your child is one now Venkatad is no doubt an issue here. The novelty of being a parent is past. The development they show is fascinating and astonishing, but tiring.. your social life is more erratic. In general terms you have less time for yourself.
But time flies and he/she will be attending preschool and school before you know it. Enjoy this time while it lasts. At the moment to some degree this IS your Dhamma practice. This is not to say that formal practice is not possible. But it does mean early nights and lots of rest and good nutritious food. By which I mean the kind of food our mothers and grandmothers and their mothers and grandmothers ate...They knew what they were doing...
As you have done two 10 day courses it might be more practical to consolidate on a daily basis what you learned during those courses

This time will pass....al too quickly.

:anjali:

Valerie
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Return to Theravada Meditation