Question About Awareness-release

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
srivijaya

Question About Awareness-release

Postby srivijaya » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:17 pm

In the Godatta Sutta SN 41.7 Buddha outlines different kinds of awareness release.

These are the immeasurable awareness-release, the nothingness awareness-release, the emptiness awareness-release and the themeless awareness-release.

He subsequently explains which factors their cultivation rests upon - briefly:
1. Immeasurable = An expansive all-pervading awareness of compassion and good will.
2. Nothingness = The monk enters & remains in the dimension of nothingness.
3. Emptiness = The monk considers this: 'This is empty of self or of anything pertaining to self.'
4. Themeless = A monk, not attending to any theme enters & remains in the themeless concentration of awareness.

Each of these are, however, declared secondary to a release called an "unprovokable awareness-release". Buddha does not outline any factors upon which the unprovokable awareness-release rests, so I assume that it's a result of cultivating any of the four aforementioned releases.

Is my assumption correct or is it another (but more advanced) means?

Namaste

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Element

Re: Question About Awareness-release

Postby Element » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:04 pm

And that unprovokable awareness-release is empty of passion, empty of aversion, empty of delusion.

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:36 am

Hi Srivijaya,

srivijaya wrote:Each of these are, however, declared secondary to a release called an "unprovokable awareness-release". Buddha does not outline any factors upon which the unprovokable awareness-release rests, so I assume that it's a result of cultivating any of the four aforementioned releases.

Is my assumption correct or is it another (but more advanced) means?

Akuppa-cetovimutti — usually translated "unshakable deliverance of mind" — is synonymous with arahatta-phala-cetovimutti, "the deliverance of mind that is the arahatta fruition." It is arrived at directly by vimuttis 3 and 4, but only indirectly (and not inevitably) by vimuttis 1 and 2, as these are only temporary samatha-style deliverances.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Sundɑrɑromɑ̄nɑ
Pɑli Romɑnisɑtion

sɑrɑ̄: ɑ ɑ̄ i ī u ū e o
kɑɳȶɑjɑ̄: k ƙ ɡ ɠ ŋ
tɑ̄lujɑ̄: c ƈ j j̛ ɲ
mudɗɑjɑ̄: ʈ ȶ ɖ ȡ ɳ
dɑntɑjɑ̄: t ƭ d ɗ n
oʈȶɑjɑ̄: p ƥ b ɓ m
ɑvɑɡɡɑ̄: y r l v s h ł
niɡɡɑhītɑ̊: ɑ̊ i̊ ů

srivijaya

Postby srivijaya » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Dhammanando wrote:Akuppa-cetovimutti — usually translated "unshakable deliverance of mind" — is synonymous with arahatta-phala-cetovimutti, "the deliverance of mind that is the arahatta fruition." It is arrived at directly by vimuttis 3 and 4, but only indirectly (and not inevitably) by vimuttis 1 and 2, as these are only temporary samatha-style deliverances.

Many thanks for that information Dhammanando. Are you aware of any other awareness releases beyond these four?

Namaste

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi Srivijaya,

srivijaya wrote:Many thanks for that information Dhammanando. Are you aware of any other awareness releases beyond these four?

I can't recall encountering any other uses of cetovimutti but these.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Sundɑrɑromɑ̄nɑ
Pɑli Romɑnisɑtion

sɑrɑ̄: ɑ ɑ̄ i ī u ū e o
kɑɳȶɑjɑ̄: k ƙ ɡ ɠ ŋ
tɑ̄lujɑ̄: c ƈ j j̛ ɲ
mudɗɑjɑ̄: ʈ ȶ ɖ ȡ ɳ
dɑntɑjɑ̄: t ƭ d ɗ n
oʈȶɑjɑ̄: p ƥ b ɓ m
ɑvɑɡɡɑ̄: y r l v s h ł
niɡɡɑhītɑ̊: ɑ̊ i̊ ů

srivijaya

Postby srivijaya » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:12 pm

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Srivijaya,

srivijaya wrote:Many thanks for that information Dhammanando. Are you aware of any other awareness releases beyond these four?

I can't recall encountering any other uses of cetovimutti but these.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

Thank you.

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”