SN 22.47: Samanupassana Sutta/Samanupassanaa Sutta

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
mikenz66

Re: SN 22.47: Samanupassana Sutta/Samanupassanaa Sutta

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Individual,
Individual wrote: You're wrong, but you're not going to waste my time or ruin my good mood. Don't use the Buddha's point-of-view as a shield to defend your own interpretations.
Could you explain what exactly you disagree with? My interpretation of Walshe's point, the Buddha's message, or the contention that Descartes is a prime example of identifying the mental formations as self, which seems to me to make Descarte an "uninstructed worldling" (like the rest of us...).

Here's the sentence that Walshe was commenting on:
The Buddha wrote:"Here, monks, the uninstructed worldling... regards body as the self, the self as having body, body as being in the self, or the self as being in the body. [Similarly with 'feelings,' 'perceptions,' 'mental formations,' 'consciousness.'] So this way of regarding arises: it occurs to him to think 'I am.'
One could, of course, argue that this "self" does have a temporary existence, and it is therefore what we have to work with. But it seems clear that the Buddha's message is that it is something that will have to be abandoned in order to end dukkha.

Mike