YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Vipassana - Insight Knowledge - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

Vipassana - Insight Knowledge

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
zavk

Re: Vipassana - Insight Knowledge

Postby zavk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:31 am

With metta,
zavk

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:53 am

zavk

Postby zavk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:02 am

Not born till the end of the next decade, but it sounds like my pre-Buddhist life (and I suspect others have experienced the same too). Well, aren't we all glad we found Buddhism? It's bhanga and not bhang for me now.

:smile:
With metta,
zavk

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:07 am

zavk

Postby zavk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:15 am

With metta,
zavk

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:01 am

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:09 am

I am not sure that things happen in a different order Mike in Mahasi or Goenka. As I recall its more a question of the instruction having a different emphasis so directing the focus that which arises. Which I guess does mean that it happens in a different order, but its not mechanistic, we initiate certain sequences by bringing our attention to them.

Monkey Mind

Postby Monkey Mind » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:29 pm

Thank you Peter, Mike, and Zavk. I have often wondered about whether the experience of bhanga was power of suggestion or something unique to the technique. My experience was that it happened for me first, and then Goenkaji stated in the audio recording after it happened something like "By now you might be experiencing this sensation all over your body, we call it bhanga." After the retreat I checked with others, and they all said the same thing: they had the experience before Goenkaji discussed the experience in the recording, so it did not seem likely to be power of suggestion. But in the next session with the teacher, the teacher asked each individual if they had experienced it, and almost all stated yes. I have since had many conversations with people who are loyal to that technique, some have been on many retreats, and everyone I have spoken with stated that bhanga is what has them coming back for more. But when I speak with other Buddhists about that experience, they stare at me like I am a crazy person (which of course I am...). :rolleye:
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:40 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:07 am

Monkey Mind

Postby Monkey Mind » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:14 am

Thank you, Retro and Mike. If I understand correctly, it is no more than a sign post along the path, and not the actual gravel of the path. I will go and contemplate.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:55 am

Bhanga nana arises in a type of meditation which gives rise to insight and not in a samatha (concentration) process. Each insight builds upon the previous one so it is not possible to pick and choose- and the order is not technique dependant. It is the natural process of how a mind is accelerated towards the (non)experience of nibbana. The preceding insight leads to a certain degree of letting go which allows the subsequent deeper insights to arise and let go even more.

You need to have separated out the mental and material components of experience (nama-rupa); seen how they arise as causes and effects; then understand tilakkhana (impermanance, unsatisfactoriness and not-self); and understand that these truths apply to everything in the universe before getting to bhanga nana. I suspect the Goenka 'bhanga' is not bhanga nana.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:01 am

These experiences sound somewhat like "kenshos" in Zen. Pleasant and sometimes a bit reality-challenging experiences that help the practitioner recognize they are traveling in the right direction, *BUT* can become a hindrance if we start to actively seek them out or practice with the intention of experiencing "more"....
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

Freawaru

Postby Freawaru » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:01 pm

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:54 am

I think it is amateurishness to use a term before one has fully mastered what it is, in a role and status which requires absolute responsibility.

"That's the way it is, Kassapa. When beings are degenerating and the true Dhamma is disappearing, there are more training rules and yet fewer monks established in final gnosis. There is no disappearance of the true Dhamma as long as a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has not arisen in the world, but there is the disappearance of the true Dhamma when a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has arisen in the world. Just as there is no disappearance of gold as long as a counterfeit of gold has not arisen in the world, but there is the disappearance of gold when a counterfeit of gold has arisen in the world, in the same way there is no disappearance of the true Dhamma as long as a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has not arisen in the world, but there is the disappearance of the true Dhamma when a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has arisen in the world.[1]

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

with metta

RYB

Sorry it is painful, but I got to take the sting out.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:01 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Jack

Postby Jack » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:25 pm

Individual

Postby Individual » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:51 pm

The best things in life aren't things.

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi Ben

I was referring to the use of the term Bhanga in a way not denoting but causing confusion with the commentarial bhanga nana. Hence the pseudo-gold analogy, if that is the case, could be quite dangerous.

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:21 pm

Return to “Vipassanā / Satipaṭṭhāna Bhāvana”