Question About Awareness-release

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Question About Awareness-release

Postby srivijaya » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:17 pm

In the Godatta Sutta SN 41.7 Buddha outlines different kinds of awareness release.

These are the immeasurable awareness-release, the nothingness awareness-release, the emptiness awareness-release and the themeless awareness-release.

He subsequently explains which factors their cultivation rests upon - briefly:
1. Immeasurable = An expansive all-pervading awareness of compassion and good will.
2. Nothingness = The monk enters & remains in the dimension of nothingness.
3. Emptiness = The monk considers this: 'This is empty of self or of anything pertaining to self.'
4. Themeless = A monk, not attending to any theme enters & remains in the themeless concentration of awareness.

Each of these are, however, declared secondary to a release called an "unprovokable awareness-release". Buddha does not outline any factors upon which the unprovokable awareness-release rests, so I assume that it's a result of cultivating any of the four aforementioned releases.

Is my assumption correct or is it another (but more advanced) means?

Namaste

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
srivijaya

Re: Question About Awareness-release

Postby Element » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:04 pm

And that unprovokable awareness-release is empty of passion, empty of aversion, empty of delusion.
Element

Postby Dhammanando » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:36 am

Hi Srivijaya,

srivijaya wrote:Each of these are, however, declared secondary to a release called an "unprovokable awareness-release". Buddha does not outline any factors upon which the unprovokable awareness-release rests, so I assume that it's a result of cultivating any of the four aforementioned releases.

Is my assumption correct or is it another (but more advanced) means?

Akuppa-cetovimutti — usually translated "unshakable deliverance of mind" — is synonymous with arahatta-phala-cetovimutti, "the deliverance of mind that is the arahatta fruition." It is arrived at directly by vimuttis 3 and 4, but only indirectly (and not inevitably) by vimuttis 1 and 2, as these are only temporary samatha-style deliverances.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
    ...and this thought arose in the mind of the Blessed One:
    “Who lives without reverence lives miserably.”
    Uruvela Sutta, A.ii.20

It were endless to dispute upon everything that is disputable.
    — William Penn Some Fruits of Solitude,
Dhammanando

Postby srivijaya » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Dhammanando wrote:Akuppa-cetovimutti — usually translated "unshakable deliverance of mind" — is synonymous with arahatta-phala-cetovimutti, "the deliverance of mind that is the arahatta fruition." It is arrived at directly by vimuttis 3 and 4, but only indirectly (and not inevitably) by vimuttis 1 and 2, as these are only temporary samatha-style deliverances.

Many thanks for that information Dhammanando. Are you aware of any other awareness releases beyond these four?

Namaste
srivijaya

Postby Dhammanando » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi Srivijaya,

srivijaya wrote:Many thanks for that information Dhammanando. Are you aware of any other awareness releases beyond these four?

I can't recall encountering any other uses of cetovimutti but these.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
    ...and this thought arose in the mind of the Blessed One:
    “Who lives without reverence lives miserably.”
    Uruvela Sutta, A.ii.20

It were endless to dispute upon everything that is disputable.
    — William Penn Some Fruits of Solitude,
Dhammanando

Postby srivijaya » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:12 pm

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Srivijaya,

srivijaya wrote:Many thanks for that information Dhammanando. Are you aware of any other awareness releases beyond these four?

I can't recall encountering any other uses of cetovimutti but these.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

Thank you.
srivijaya

Return to Discovering Theravāda