Destruction of Buddhist on-line community via sectarianism

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Element

Destruction of Buddhist on-line community via sectarianism

Postby Element » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:35 am

Dear Forum,

I have gained the impression the Buddhist on-line community has been scattered due to sectarianism.

For beginners or newcomers, there is no net to catch them (apart from E-Sangha).

All of these various new sites such as DhammaWheel do not rate highly on the Google list.

How can beginners start with the right steps?

What do we think?

:group:

jcsuperstar

Re: Destruction of Buddhist on-line community via sectarianism

Postby jcsuperstar » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:17 am

no idea.... but there wasnt really anything like this when most of us started though was there? and i guess most of us have done fine...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

DarkDream

Postby DarkDream » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:04 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:28 am

Greetings Darkdream,

That's what the Discovering Theravada forum is for.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

nathan

Postby nathan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:57 am

My fellow netizens.
Ask not what the google can do for you.
Ask what you can doogle for the google of yougle. :smile:
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

AdvaitaJ

Postby AdvaitaJ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:39 pm

Element,

It certainly seems some days like I'm the only rookie here. Having no practical access to local teachers, I read what I can (and not all my early choices were the best), and listen to recorded Dhamma talks on an almost daily basis. These activities gave me a good start, but there is a very real need to listen to others actively discuss and to ask my own questions from time to time. After all, it is the Triple Gem, not a duo. Recognizing this need, I searched for an online Sangha and, of course, found E-Sangha. It was only there that I truly came face-to-face with sectarianism. Before that, I knew there were differences, but it certainly wasn't an issue.

To address your question, I think sites like Dhamma Wheel that focus on a particular tradition meet a very real need. You never knew whose toes you might step on when posting on the larger sites. As for what can be done to increase awareness and decrease dispersion, the web is self-governing. Google will pick up on the sites with the most traffic and move those to the top of its search results. So...I'd suggest any who want to promote Dhamma Wheel do a Google search for it every once in a while just to "tick the counters" in Google's databases. A Google search is how I found Dhamma Wheel, but I only went looking after someone posted about there being "another site" over on E-Sangha. Certainly, recommending the site via other means such as e-mails, personal blogs, etc, will do much to move this site's traffic levels up on the web's traffic maps. The benefit to that, of course, is that it is more likely to be found first by rookies such as me searching for an accessible Sangha.

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:43 pm

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:19 am

Hi Folks, :hello:

I share the concern expressed in the original post - wouldn't it be great to have an inclusive non-sectarian solid online sangha?

Over the years I have seen quite a few people who appeared to have been genuine seekers come over to ESangha and be put off either by wrangling or by an overbearing tone of some moderators/admin.

So one question is whether we have an appropriate forum for the curious and the beginners?

Another is the deep issue of sectarianism. I heard from a number of teachers here (in Melbourne) how insular the various groups are and how difficult it is to bring them together. A lovely example of non-sectarian open attitude was when my teacher (a Korean Zen nun) was recently invited to stay and teach at a Theravada nunnery in Western Australia.

After all whether it is Dhamma or Dharma, we are all after the same thing.. Yes, there are some differences, but is that what it's really about?

That said, from what I've seen I think this is a great forum, interesting discussions, generous attitude and a lovely place to hang out! A fantastic effort all round. Now couldn't we also have a similar Buddhist forum?

_/|\_
_/|\_

Element

Postby Element » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:26 am

DarkDream

Postby DarkDream » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:49 am

DarkDream

Postby DarkDream » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:56 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:03 am

green

Postby green » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:06 am

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:21 pm

_/|\_

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:54 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Wu-Wei

Postby Wu-Wei » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:18 am

E-Sangha has definitely got some major problems.

Not all Dharma forums are that bad. Still, sectarianism ( playing favourites ) is undoubtedly a problem.

Spiritual pride is said to be among the greatest of sins.

Metta.

cooran

Postby cooran » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 am

---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:43 am

nathan

Postby nathan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:33 pm

But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

Individual

Postby Individual » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:08 pm

The best things in life aren't things.

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”