YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Why is Buddhist Faith not blind? - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

Why is Buddhist Faith not blind?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
kc2dpt

Re: Why is Buddhist Faith not blind?

Postby kc2dpt » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:59 pm

I think debates on what Christians do or do not believe in, and discussions of whether other religions offer any value or not, are quite off topic for this very interesting thread on the nature of Buddhist faith. I'd like it if we could get back on topic.
- Peter

nathan

Postby nathan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:47 pm

But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:51 am

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:59 am

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:44 am

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:00 am

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:27 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:41 pm

green

Postby green » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:59 pm

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:31 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:32 am

Tying this into the OP, maybe it's not a question of setting the bar as a division between "need faith" and "don't need faith." Maybe it's more a question of the degree to which that faith is "blind" as the term "blind faith" is broadly understood. I think with practice, faith in Dhamma becomes less and less "blind." A lot of this discussion has to do with symantics. And I guess what we regard as "faith" versus "knowledge" is going to be subjective. I have faith that Nibanna brings all that to an end. I don't think this faith is completely "blind," but I figure I'm probably wrong on some level. Gotta keep on working ...

So for the sake of argument, I wouldn't bother worrying about whether one's faith is less "blind" than that of one's Christian counterparts.

fwiw :smile:

lonewolf

Postby lonewolf » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:56 am

Because it is not. Blind means to accept without verification, on a face value as far as I know.

We are asked, not to believe in anything, or anybody, and verify everything, even the words of the Buddha. We are told it's up to us, and our own wise, and Right Effort to free ourselves from the bonds of samsara.

So you start with nothing, and gradually build your understanding, all due to your own effort, and determination. No fairy tales, just hard work, seems reasonable to me.

Or as Sherlock Holmes would say: How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:10 am

Blind faith in the Triple Gem is better than no faith at all.

IMO of course.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:44 am

Is it possible to have blind faith in the triple gem?

cooran

Postby cooran » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:51 am

I think blind faith would ensure a person ceased seeking and searching for ultimate truth - and therefore cease making progress on the Path.

Faith in Buddhism
http://theravada.dk/?pageid=339

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:07 am

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

Dan Rooney

Postby Dan Rooney » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:51 am

A slight tangent to the OP but on the blind faith thing, the idea that anyone has it - in the sense of believing things to be true but lacking any justification whatsoever for those beliefs - seems to be basically wrong. If you did have blind faith (of this type) how could you decide between what to believe and what not to believe? There must be some reason why you lean towards some truths and not others; your culture gives you a certain worldview or the myths of the religion have some explanatory power or have a particular experience, etc., etc. Whatever it is, there's going to be something. So the question is then, does religion A provide better or worse justifications for its claims than religion B. That seems like a very hard question to answer. How could you tell? If a Christian says that she has experience of the divine and a Buddhist says that she has experience of the deathless, how are you to adjudicate between those? It seems like a complete waste of time even trying.

Anagarika

Postby Anagarika » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:58 am

Listening to a youtube Dhamma talk by Ajahn Jayasaro, he describes Buddhist faith as a form of confidence, the same way that a scientist, having tested a hypothesis a number of times, has faith or confidence in the outcomes. As has been mentioned here earlier, the Buddha never insisted on untested faith, or a faith based on blindly accepting what one is taught. Yet, having been vetted for nearly 2600 years, the Buddha's teachings inspire confidence in his methodology, and the science (physics, psychology, et al) is corroborating much of what the Buddha taught with respect to dependent origination, the release of dukkha, anatta, anicca, and is even venturing into the corroboration of rebirth. The 4NT do seem, upon testing, to be a profoundly excellent way to live our lives, and we know from experience that acts of bright kamma over time tend to produce brighter kammic outcomes.

What distinguishes Buddhism from religions of "faith" is this quality of pragmatism, rationality, and scientific soundness. We have confidence in it not because some book says we must believe, not because we think that G-d wrote it, but because upon testing, it works, and it resonates with all that is rational, compassionate, ethical, and reasonable. And that is a sound foundation upon which to build your spiritual house.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:01 pm

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”