Temporary ordination practicalities

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Paññāsikhara

Re: Temporary ordination practicalities

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Remember that the spirit - if not the absolute letter - of the eight uposatha precepts is that of living the life of the renunciant. So, when it comes to minimum time, this practice is already established. One could go the other way, and suggest rather than short term ordination, long term eight precept uposatha. Though probably most people would prefer the former, for various reasons. Though really, there is very little difference at all.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

His rather mind-blowing suggestion was to ordain in NZ...then fly to Thailand to see how it felt arriving there in the robes…
No question about it, mind-blowing is the term…the deference shown to the robes (in Thailand), no matter who is in them, can be overwhelming...
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

appicchato wrote:
His rather mind-blowing suggestion was to ordain in NZ...then fly to Thailand to see how it felt arriving there in the robes…
No question about it, mind-blowing is the term…the deference shown to the robes (in Thailand), no matter who is in them, can be overwhelming...
I will be heading to Thailand next week.The monks who have gone from here to Thailand on visa runs say things change at the border.Priority getting seen,half price bus fares and of course the thrill the Thai people get when they spot Phra Falang.
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Nanadhaja wrote:... and of course the thrill the Thai people get when they spot Phra Falang.
Yes, should be interesting. I found it mind-blowing enough just being on alms round with my American teacher in Bangkok (in the role of carrying what was offered after it had been into his bowl). We came back to the Wat with about three shopping bags full of food...

Even being on 8 precepts at my local Wat I can get a small taste of this. Apparently last weekend people were competing to be able to bring a meal to my kuti... And I had to share two thirds of the meal with the birds, otherwise I'd be asleep all afternoon :popcorn:

Mike
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

mikenz66 wrote:
Nanadhaja wrote:... and of course the thrill the Thai people get when they spot Phra Falang.
Yes, should be interesting. I found it mind-blowing enough just being on alms round with my American teacher in Bangkok (in the role of carrying what was offered after it had been into his bowl). We came back to the Wat with about three shopping bags full of food...

Even being on 8 precepts at my local Wat I can get a small taste of this. Apparently last weekend people were competing to be able to bring a meal to my kuti... And I had to share two thirds of the meal with the birds, otherwise I'd be asleep all afternoon :popcorn:

Mike
Anybody would get the impression that Thais have heard that merit was a finite resource and they'd better get in quick before it runs out.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

What l ike about that is that they have the Right view, that such a thing as karma exists and that that there are spiritually superior beings among the bikkhu sangha who as a collective are worthy of respect. Here are people who's belief in karma is not limited to belief but spills over into action, suggesting a strong Right view capable of giving rise to the rest of the Noble eightfold path.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

rowyourboat wrote:What l ike about that is that they have the Right view, that such a thing as karma exists and that that there are spiritually superior beings among the bikkhu sangha who as a collective are worthy of respect. Here are people who's belief in karma is not limited to belief but spills over into action, suggesting a strong Right view capable of giving rise to the rest of the Noble eightfold path.
Ever been to Thailand?
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Goofaholix wrote:
rowyourboat wrote:What l ike about that is that they have the Right view, that such a thing as karma exists and that that there are spiritually superior beings among the bikkhu sangha who as a collective are worthy of respect. Here are people who's belief in karma is not limited to belief but spills over into action, suggesting a strong Right view capable of giving rise to the rest of the Noble eightfold path.
Ever been to Thailand?
:tongue:

Sure, that must be tempered by the understanding that the rounds of births and deaths are unsatisfactory. Otherwise there was be just 'merit-making' and little practice.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

rowyourboat wrote: Sure, that must be tempered by the understanding that the rounds of births and deaths are unsatisfactory. Otherwise there was be just 'merit-making' and little practice.
Unfortunately many Thais, and even monks, think that escape from Samsara is virtually impossible in this day and age, so they do not even try.
Making merit leads to a better rebirth....still stuck in the prison.
Being good is not enough to escape....that requires much effort.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

It makes me sad that we in the so called enlightened West, have such a difficult time accepting that enlightenment is possible - and find it difficult to accept that there might be enlightened people/monks/individuals in this world -and that it is possible for us to be the same.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

fabianfred wrote:
rowyourboat wrote: Sure, that must be tempered by the understanding that the rounds of births and deaths are unsatisfactory. Otherwise there was be just 'merit-making' and little practice.
Unfortunately many Thais, and even monks, think that escape from Samsara is virtually impossible in this day and age, so they do not even try.
Making merit leads to a better rebirth....still stuck in the prison.
Being good is not enough to escape....that requires much effort.
Hi Fabianfred

Yes, that is a good point. Would you recommend temporary ordination? If so what benefits do you see in it?

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

mikenz66 wrote:

Mike
Hi Mike.
Well I have done the travelling from a non buddhist nation to a buddhist nation while in robes and it certainly is a new experience.From having women reallocated seats on one aircraft as I was seated in the middle of two ladies and the Thai cabin crew wouldn't allow that(Malaysia-Thailand)to be upgraded to first class on an already discounted ticket on another aircraft.(Bangkok to Chiang Mai)Priority through immigration and at check in.Half price bus tickets,the list goes goes on.
I hope that if you do ordain in Aotearoa then head for the Land of Smiles you will see for yourself the incredible difference in attitude.It takes a little getting used to.
Anyway I am now settling into my new temple.The same place as fabianfred.My next experience is that of getting my monks passport and visa sorted.I am waiting to hear from the head Abbot of the area as to whether or not they will accept my ordination papers from Malaysia.If they don't I will have to re-ordain here in Thailand,but the Abbot here says that will be no problem if we need to.
I will keep you all informed of things as the progress.
Nice to be back :smile:
With metta
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome back Venerable.

:anjali:
Mike
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

rowyourboat wrote:It makes me sad that we in the so called enlightened West, have such a difficult time accepting that enlightenment is possible - and find it difficult to accept that there might be enlightened people/monks/individuals in this world -and that it is possible for us to be the same.

With metta

Matheesha
our egos often rebel at the thought that there might be better people out there than ourselves...