Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:41 am

tabhastal wrote:While one meal a day may be okay for people who are already healthy, it is a big mistake for people who are sensitive to levels of blood sugar such as diabetics and pre-diabetics. ...

Of course. And sometimes monks are advised by a doctor to eat in the evening, so they do. I knew one personally.

And remember that fluids such as tea or fruit juice and certain "tonics" are allowed (it varies, but the Ajahn Chah monks, for example, often have snacks of dark chocolate). So it's not as if one can't have some sugar.

Anyway, as has been pointed out, the common practise is two meals.

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:51 am

tabhastal wrote:While one meal a day may be okay for people who are already healthy, it is a big mistake for people who are sensitive to levels of blood sugar such as diabetics and pre-diabetics. Blood sugar has a direct connection with mood, ability to concentrate and hunger. The absorption rates of carbohydrates can be somewhat control by eating low glycemic carbs. Blood sugar levels are affected throughout the day by food, exercise, stress and must be controlled through regulation of food, even for those who use medication and insulin. Diabetics simply cannot eat one meal per day and expect to stay healthy.

So the "one meal a day" thing must be considered in light of one's own health. If you are sensitive to changing levels of blood sugar, lack of appropriate amounts of carbs at specific times will only result in problems. And all the meditation you can do will not save your eyes, kidneys or legs.

that is why there are exceptions! the five tonics as an example, but the practice of one meal a day is not for someone doing hard manual labour, but a meditator who will obviously have different nutrient requirements than someone who is running a marathon everyday, or sick! and the meal period is from dawn till noon, that means food can be eaten then not after, it is not the same as the one sessioner practice which is one sitting.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby suanck » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:02 am

When I am attending an organized meditation retreat (10 days) or self-retreat (2-3 days), I try to observe the 8 precepts (including the precept of not eating after mid-day).

However, due to illness, I need to eat something before taking medication in the evening. Usually, it's a slice (or 2) of bread with a glass of warm milk. So, I used to say half-jokingly to my Dhamma friends: "I'm a seven-and-half preceptor"!

Suan
suanck

Postby Paññāsikhara » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:22 am

For those with medical conditions, they simply consume what they need as "medicine".
This has always been part of the whole notion of "one meal a day". It has never been applied as an absolute rule without exceptions or reflection.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Postby suriyopama » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:57 am

Hi.

Next month I will go to a retreat and I'll apply the 1 meal a day precept for the first time. I am very thin and I run out of energy when I don't eat for a long time.

I was thinking to take Berocca in the case that I feel weak (http://www.berocca.co.uk) but a friend says that it can cause to be more hungry. Do you know if this is true? What do you recommend to take in case of emergency?

Thank you
suriyopama

Postby appicchato » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:32 am

Some granola bars, or fruit, or honey...or all three...
appicchato

Postby suriyopama » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:11 am

Thank you very much Bhante. This looks much more natural than the chemical solution :smile:
suriyopama

Postby nitindogra » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:05 pm

So what exactly do you eat when you eat one meal per day David ?
nitindogra

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:04 pm

nitindogra wrote:So what exactly do you eat when you eat one meal per day David ?

My most common foods I eat, include one or more of the following:

Stir fry vegetables with sauces and spices and tofu
Curry vegetables
Curry tofu with rice
Ethiopian foods, such as lentils, cabbage and carrots, with the flat-bread injera
Vegan deli slices for sandwiches
Veggie burgers

I eat a variety of mostly vegan foods. It is not so much about the content, but the size; you want to make sure to eat enough so that you don't get too hungry later. For example, if you normally eat about 2,500 calories per day, you could do very well with only 1800 to 2,000 calories all in one meal. It makes you full and there is little to no hunger later.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Ytrog » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:00 pm

As a lay practitioner you have to be careful about what you eat as your only meal. If I would follow my usual breakfast, which consists of a few slices of bread, then it would not be a healthy meal if it was the only one. I do this on Uposatha days now, but I would say a varied meal would be better.

I'm still trying to learn how to cook, however so a single meal in the morning would not be conductive to that.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ytrog

Postby timmbuktwo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:33 am

One meal a day is better then 2 , which is better than 3 , and so forth. Like stated above in close form, the more your body has to physically work on digestion, that time is not available for healing (in many forms including physical or spiritual ) . BUT definitely what is in that meal or 2 is key, the more natural and non-violent that meal is , obviously the better, more fruit the better, less cooking the better . You will find in due time after your body has "healed" itself and re-generated ( 5mnths to 3 years depending on past diet, a MUST transition period ) that you actually have more energy, more strength , and can get in touch with yourself (and others) like un-imagined previously . This does include any serious "diseases" cases, you can heal yourself , good will to all .
timmbuktwo

Postby alan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:29 am

Prove it.
alan

Postby timmbuktwo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:39 am

Do it yourself , then see if you ask me to prove it , or instead wish to spread the word to others.
timmbuktwo

Postby alan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:47 am

That is not proof.
alan

Postby timmbuktwo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:52 am

Would it not be the best proof to you?
timmbuktwo

Postby appicchato » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:42 am

Timmbuktwo...chill friend, it's a losing battle with the non-believers...know that you're not alone though...

appicchato...twenty years plus one meal a day vegi...
appicchato

Postby Hanzze » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:49 am

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Postby Individual » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:42 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The Buddha recommended one meal a day for health reasons. It is untrue that this practice is unhealthy.

In the Bhaddāli Sutta of the Majjhimanikāya the elder Bhaddāli was reluctant to follow this training rule.

In fact, the body can get accustomed to all manner of different routines. While in Burma, I ate two good meals daily — at 5:15 am, and again at 11:00 am. In the Thai forest tradition they eat only once, at about 9:00 am after returning from alms round. It was hard at first, but one soon gets used to it. Nowadays, I usually eat my main meal at about 7:00 am, then take some fruit at 11:00 am.

Eating only in the mornings is no hardship at all once one becomes accustomed to it. The food is thoroughly digested by the following day, and regular bowel motions ensure good health.

This training rule is easy to keep in a monastic environment as food is simply not available after the meal time. For lay people, it is much harder to keep this precept, as they may see food or see others eating, which can make you feel hungry although you have already had sufficient food for nutrition.

I don't know, but this seems plausible.

In my own experiences, hunger has a certain rhythm to it. And the rhythm isn't fixed; it's altered by what we do. If you only eat once a day, you might only be hungry once a day.

But it is important to get proper nutrition. If you only eat once a day, that meal should be somewhat larger than what a lot of other people might eat for one meal.

It also depends on how much activity you get. Monks who engage in vigorous exercise will have to eat much more than those who only teach, read, and meditate.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby alan » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:33 am

You are correct, Hanzze. Less than one meal a day would probably damage the praxis. Plus, you'd starve to death.
alan

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:47 am

appicchato wrote:
appicchato...twenty years plus one meal a day vegi...

:anjali:
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

PreviousNext

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness