Special budget train for Buddhist sites

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Maitri

Re: Special budget train for Buddhist sites

Post by Maitri »

Hi David,

Thanks for the recommendation of BuddhaPath. It was either between them or Insight Travel. After reviewing both itineraries, I decided to go with Insight Travel. Just in the nick of time too; registration ends a week from today. I spoke with my teacher about it, and upon his review he thought it will be a good choice. http://www.insight-travel.com/

I am so happy to be able to do this... tomorrow I will be going to the bank to get the first payment for the pilgrimage to India. I hope it all works out. :jumping:

It's been a dream of mine for years to go to the sites of the Buddha's life. I am having a hard time believing that it is actually going happen. Any advice is welcomed, too as this will be my first time going to India. I've downloaded a new book called, Along the Path The Meditator's Companion to the Buddha's Land, from Pariyatti to read over the weekend.
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Maitri wrote: It's been a dream of mine for years to go to the sites of the Buddha's life. I am having a hard time believing that it is actually going happen.
:thumbsup: It's definitely worth it.
Any advice is welcomed, too as this will be my first time going to India. I've downloaded a new book called, Along the Path The Meditator's Companion to the Buddha's Land, from Pariyatti to read over the weekend.
Insight Travel is good too. I haven't used them, but have heard good things about them too.

Watch out for back alleys / street peddlers trying to lure you to one of their "shops" at a back alley. They know tourists are usually carrying around lots of cash. But nearly all of the vendors are very honest and selling products to make a living. You will find products that are not so easy to find outside of India, so it is good to plan on some room in your suitcase for souvenirs, Maha Bodhi replicas, etc.
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

I just got my registration packet in the mail yesterday, so I guess it is official! I only have to make the second payment with the airfare and I'm all set.. just a few more grand to cover :rofl: The people at Insight Travel have been very helpful, and I'm looking forward to learning more about the whole process. This will be my first time outside the states, so I am brand new to international traveling . I was thinking of starting a blog to document my process and reflections during the preparation for pilgrimage. Depends if I have the time :juggling:

I'm still in a bit of shock, honestly. It is hard to believe this is going to happen.. for years I have wanted to go on pilgrimage and now it is only 4 months away.

@ David

What were some of the items you could only find in India? I imagine there are lots of items for sale, but what did you find there that you think was really valuable?
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

Maitri

Advice on a hotel

Post by Maitri »

I am now in final stages of planning my pilgrimage. However, I do need some advice from anyone who has been to Bangkok. I will be there for one day to rest after the flight from the U.S. Does anyone know of a hotel (under 100$ a night) they have stayed at to personally recommend? I was hoping to find a hotel that is near the Wat Phra Kaew- Temple of the Emerald Buddha. I will only be there for one day, and if I am not totally jet lagged I want to see this single temple. :rofl:

alan

Post by alan »

There are about a thousand hotels that meet your needs.
TripAdvisor.com is a good place to start. Don't worry--Bangkok has enough room for you. Promise.
You might even want to spend a few extra nights.
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

*Sigh* Well, I should post an update to my pilgrimage attempt.
I say "attempt" because I did get to Thailand saw the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, but fell and broke my left leg and torn the ligaments in my right ankle at the temple. I was alone in Bangkok and sent to a local hospital where the doctors put a cast on my leg and sent me away in a taxi to my hotel with a pair of broken, mismatched crutches. My husband arranged my airfare to get home back to the U.S. the next day. How I wished I could have gone onto India, but I was unable to walk. I had to sit by the Thai Air check in for Gaya and watch the pilgrims get on the flight.

It has been a hard few weeks and I am still in casts and crutches until the end of next month. I'm still pretty heart broken. A lesson learned in some major Dukkha :cry:

appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Hoping you get well soon Maitri...and that somewhere down the pike you're able to make your pilgrimage...take care... :console:
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

Thank you, Bhante Appicchato. :anjali:

I am already planning on making the trip next year with my husband. He initially was not able to go due to work restraints, but it looks like he will be able to make it. In the meantime, we have to start saving our money again and healing up.

Parth

Post by Parth »

Dear Maitri,

Metta to you, well two silver linings
1. Time to make pilgrimage within which anyways is most important, natures way of telling you to meditate, practise Vipassana
2. Probably your husband will be able to accompany you next time.

Regards

Parth