Search found 39 matches

by not myself today
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:54 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: No reason to practice Buddhism without rebirth
Replies: 64
Views: 32249

Re: No reason to practice Buddhism without rebirth

Why? You cannot change, because you understand kamma; you understand kamma produce kamma: materiality and mentality. At that time you will not accept ‘There is a creator...’ ‘There is no kamma…’ or ‘There is no future existence...’, ‘There is no past existence...’ - such type of wrong views will ne...
by not myself today
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:11 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: No reason to practice Buddhism without rebirth
Replies: 64
Views: 32249

Re: No reason to practice Buddhism without rebirth

Yes. Once attained, one can abide in Nibbana during this lifetime while in meditation, as I understand it, but sort of “taking up residence there” and “staying there” - such as one can be said to do such things after one’s paranibbana - only take place after one’s paranibbana. That’s how I understan...
by not myself today
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:55 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: No reason to practice Buddhism without rebirth
Replies: 64
Views: 32249

Re: No reason to practice Buddhism without rebirth

Buddhism does not say that you can attain nibbana in this life and I'd prefer 50 years of easy living over 50 years of unease which is why some practice might be advisable independent of belief in rebirth. "Nibbana is a state to be attained here and now in this very life and not a state to be attai...
by not myself today
Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:57 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: No reason to practice Buddhism without rebirth
Replies: 64
Views: 32249

Re: No reason to practice Buddhism without rebirth

Buddhism does not say that you can attain nibbana in this life and I'd prefer 50 years of easy living over 50 years of unease which is why some practice might be advisable independent of belief in rebirth. Of course one can attain Nibbana in this life, if the conditions are ripe for it - otherwise ...
by not myself today
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:37 am
Forum: Pāli
Topic: Pali Resources
Replies: 108
Views: 171845

Re: Pali Resources

Learn Pali Online Pali grammar tutorials for the absolute beginner - in English. For anyone wishing to learn the Pali language of the Theravada canon. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf6RXFuRpeLRYj-wWs4KFrTPrzvAWWMpo Wow - only just saw your post and had a look at the YouTube series. Fantast...
by not myself today
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:44 pm
Forum: Pāli
Topic: Pali Resources
Replies: 108
Views: 171845

Re: Pali Resources

It requires a Scribd membership, but Ven. Bodhi's latest book Reading the Buddha's Discourses in Pali is now available online. Thank you for this! It’s also available – as are Bhikkhu Bodhi‘s translations of the Anguttara, Majjhima, and Samyutta Nikayas (and Maurice Walshe’s of the Digha) along wit...
by not myself today
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:26 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Buddhism: just another "truth"?
Replies: 128
Views: 27516

Re: Buddhism: just another "truth"?

coffeendonuts wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:24 pm
not myself today wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:59 pmeschewing the beautiful, colorful, seductive additives
Ah, like choosing broccoli over the pizza.
Heh! Or over the frosted donuts with colored sprinkles (no offense ;) )
by not myself today
Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:59 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Buddhism: just another "truth"?
Replies: 128
Views: 27516

Re: Buddhism: just another "truth"?

If you have ever dabbled in Tibetan Buddhism, Theravada looks like a much easier maze. I could never get my head around Tibetan Buddhism, even though I have greatly enjoyed their talks on emptiness, visualization meditations (the great silence), etc. :reading: Zen/Chan/Seon = mysterious/simple, but...
by not myself today
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:28 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Buddhism: just another "truth"?
Replies: 128
Views: 27516

Re: Buddhism: just another "truth"?

Can you please describe the teaching(s) that you are referring to so that we can comment on them? Thank you but not really, it’s more of a general impression. For example, the idea that joy or pleasure or satisfaction are inherently fake. Many smart people and philosophers are convinced that they c...
by not myself today
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:54 pm
Forum: Introductions
Topic: How did you come to Buddhism? (poll)
Replies: 55
Views: 36634

Re: How did you come to Buddhism? (poll)

Perhaps I missed it, but did not see Zom define "coming to Buddhism" as formally, in a Temple with a Bhikshu, taking refuge in the Three Jewels of Buddha, Dharma & Sangha. Other than that sincere step, which is the true entrance to the Dharma, the rest would be philo-Buddhists or fans of Buddhism o...
by not myself today
Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:20 pm
Forum: Theravāda for Beginners
Topic: Importance of Asceticism
Replies: 9
Views: 6051

Re: Importance of Asceticism

For a beginner, one could start with avoiding intoxicants; alcohol, drugs, cigarettes and see how that effects the mind and alertness, mindfulness. Later one could try further forms of renunciation, for example trying not to eat beyond noon or alternatively trying not to eat too much, not too many ...
by not myself today
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:11 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: No reason to practice Buddhism without rebirth
Replies: 64
Views: 32249

Re: No reason to practice Buddhism without rebirth

zerotime wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:50 am
Inedible wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:03 pm Time to see for myself. The Four Noble Truths felt like coming home for the first time in my life and I knew it then. I'm a Buddhist.
very nice words. Dhamma is a like true home, no more absolute alone :namaste:
And your own words, zerotime. Very lovely. =) Thank you. :anjali:
by not myself today
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:59 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: No reason to practice Buddhism without rebirth
Replies: 64
Views: 32249

Re: No reason to practice Buddhism without rebirth

StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:01 pm Hello, dear friend.

You have brought tears to my eyes. What you say is so, so true.

Much love to you.

Peace and enlightenment. :namaste:
And thank *you*, friend. Your response assures me that I have done well. :anjali:
by not myself today
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:50 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: No reason to practice Buddhism without rebirth
Replies: 64
Views: 32249

Re: No reason to practice Buddhism without rebirth

Immerse yourself in the Buddha’s teaching for a while, then step back and take a big-picture view of what you’ve encountered and you cannot but see that the Buddha may be trusted as one trusts one’s own mother, or father, or whoever one might have known whose word one has trusted implicitly. Because...
by not myself today
Sat May 02, 2020 2:22 am
Forum: Announcements
Topic: Dhamma on Zoom: welcome
Replies: 145
Views: 172589

Re: Dhamma on Zoom: welcome

Tomorrow (saturday) Robert Kirk is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting. Topic: Robert Kirk's Zoom Meeting Time: May 2, 2020 10:00 AM Riyadh time (UTC +3 hours) On the one hand I'm really glad this is going on (I've been away from Dhamma Wheel forEVer and am just come back); on the other hand t...