Search found 10399 matches

by DooDoot
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:23 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What Does “Paccayā” Mean in Paṭicca Samuppāda?
Replies: 17
Views: 138

Re: What Does “Paccayā” Mean in Paṭicca Samuppāda?

There is a Sutta to say that Buddha said that it is not possible to see a beginning of the world as it was that long "The world" has ignorance as its 1st cause. Therefore, whenever the world started, ignorance was its 1st cause. While SN 12.44 does not include ignorance, because SN 12.44 is about d...
by DooDoot
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:17 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Conditional Relations, DO, and Abhidhamma
Replies: 3
Views: 106

Re: Conditional Relations, DO, and Abhidhamma

Why does the abhidhamma have a different scheme of conditional relations?  other than the scheme in DO? BB footnote to Dhatusamyutta writes "Since according to the abhidhamma scheme of conditional relations, the mind element and its concomitant contact are mutually dependent" How can you justify th...
by DooDoot
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:08 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 7021
Views: 996241

Re: the great rebirth debate

Nonsense, nobody talking about Eternalism here. Completely irrelevant. It is very relevant because Eternalism is the view a self continues after death. The Buddha explained Eternalism as follows: And how, bhikkhus, do some hold back? Devas and humans enjoy being, delight in being, are satisfied wit...
by DooDoot
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:54 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What Does “Paccayā” Mean in Paṭicca Samuppāda?
Replies: 17
Views: 138

Re: What Does “Paccayā” Mean in Paṭicca Samuppāda?

Dhammavamsa wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:28 am Whoever said there is a definite First Cause and putting that heretical statement to Buddha's mouth is really mispresent the Dhamma.
:strawman: :jedi: :guns:
by DooDoot
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:53 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What Does “Paccayā” Mean in Paṭicca Samuppāda?
Replies: 17
Views: 138

Re: What Does “Paccayā” Mean in Paṭicca Samuppāda?

What Does “Paccayā” Mean in Paṭicca Samuppāda? I think most of the time we discuss PS without considering this very important fact. However please share your knowledge and thoughts on this subject. One of our Dhamma Wheel members Lal, examine the meaning of Pacaya in Paticca Samuppada. https://pure...
by DooDoot
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:38 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What Does “Paccayā” Mean in Paṭicca Samuppāda?
Replies: 17
Views: 138

Re: What Does “Paccayā” Mean in Paṭicca Samuppāda?

SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:17 am Thnaks.

What represents the Pacccya in Dependent Origination?
ie How can we apply these conditions to DO?
The above question is difficult for me to understand :weep: . Could u kindly clarify the question? Thanks :thanks:
by DooDoot
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:33 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What Does “Paccayā” Mean in Paṭicca Samuppāda?
Replies: 17
Views: 138

Re: What Does “Paccayā” Mean in Paṭicca Samuppāda?

Buddha said no first cause ever known and it is impossible to know the first cause. Ignorance was a representative cause in this Paticca Samuppada stanza. Buddha never said there is a definite First Cause for everything, be it in Suttanta or Atthakatha. Whoever said there is a definite First Cause ...
by DooDoot
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:29 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What Does “Paccayā” Mean in Paṭicca Samuppāda?
Replies: 17
Views: 138

Re: What Does “Paccayā” Mean in Paṭicca Samuppāda?

One of our Dhamma Wheel members Lal, examine the meaning of Pacaya in Paticca Samuppada. https://puredhamma.net/paticca-samuppada/patthana-dhamma/what-does-paccaya-mean-in-paticca-samuppada-effect-is-not-guaranteed/ The above link appears mixed up about "hetu" vs "paccaya". The suttas appear to not...
by DooDoot
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:07 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: What Does “Paccayā” Mean in Paṭicca Samuppāda?
Replies: 17
Views: 138

Re: What Does “Paccayā” Mean in Paṭicca Samuppāda?

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/mendis/wheel322.html#causality A. In relation to the teaching: First Cause. Buddhism does not postulate a first cause :roll: . The world is beginningless :roll: , a continuous arising and passing away of phenomena dependent on conditions. The assumption t...
by DooDoot
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:28 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Retrofuturist's Brief Sutta-Based Refutation of Abhidhamma
Replies: 261
Views: 3999

Re: Retrofuturist's Brief Sutta-Based Refutation of Abhidhamma

Pondera wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:25 am Oh really. And in what country did you do this?
Refuge in a monk that transgresses Vinaya is not refuge in Noble Sangha. Noble Sangha means Sangha that have extinguished self-view more or less.
by DooDoot
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:21 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: the great rebirth debate
Replies: 7021
Views: 996241

Re: the great rebirth debate

Sharing Sounds speculative but i suppose reassuring for eternalists. :heart: And how, bhikkhus, do some hold back? Devas and humans enjoy being, delight in being, are satisfied with being. When Dhamma is taught to them for the cessation of being, their minds do not enter into it or acquire confiden...
by DooDoot
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:44 am
Forum: Early Buddhism
Topic: What is the meaning of "dhamma" in SN 47.42 ???
Replies: 17
Views: 359

Re: What is the meaning of "dhamma" in SN 47.42 ???

The thesis that samudayo only applies to unwholesome origination looks flawed to me. Like many of these Pali terms, the usage and meaning will vary. Unlike the opening posts of this topic, the above appears unsubstantiated & not adequate for the sake of serious discussion. So samudaya not restricte...
by DooDoot
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:34 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Rites and rituals and some contradiction
Replies: 5
Views: 120

Re: Rites and rituals and some contradiction

SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:22 am "Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

https://lifehacker.com/four-confusing-z ... 1676177538
General Theravāda discussion :focus:
by DooDoot
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:33 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Once you become a Sotapanna, do you still have to learn Dhamma?
Replies: 49
Views: 541

Re: Once you become a Sotapanna, do you still have to learn Dhamma?

SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:41 am Once you become a Sotapanna, do you still have to learn Dhamma?
If you are Non-Returner, I imagine you still have to learn Dhamma.
by DooDoot
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:46 am
Forum: Abhidhamma
Topic: Abhidhamma - roots of physical disability ???
Replies: 0
Views: 90

Abhidhamma - roots of physical disability ???

Dear DW Abhidhamma expert/s In the video below, the monk appears to be speaking a doctrine from the Abhidhammattha Sangaha about Ahetuka (no roots), Dvihetukà (two roots) & Tihetuka (three roots) as the cause of physical disability. At 4:30, the monk appears to say a two-rooted person returning to h...