Search found 223 matches

by Antaradhana
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:30 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Jhanas, Misconceptions that have arisen regarding the Four Rupa Jhanas.
Replies: 254
Views: 21786

Re: Jhanas, Misconceptions that have arisen regarding the Four Rupa Jhanas.

Practice of Brahma Vihara by the Buddhist, has a different purpose altogether. Brahma viharas too was a practice that existed before Buddha's time. Buddha used it as a means to calm the mind, to wipe the defilements to enter Rupa Jhanic states, the 8th factor of the Noble Path :heart: Brahma vihara...
by Antaradhana
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:21 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Jhanas, Misconceptions that have arisen regarding the Four Rupa Jhanas.
Replies: 254
Views: 21786

Re: Jhanas, Misconceptions that have arisen regarding the Four Rupa Jhanas.

Antaradhana you claim one cannot engage in Jhanic meditation without permanently giving up sensual pleasures. Have you read Buddha's biography? When he was a 6 year old, under a rose apple tree, leading the life of a prince immersed in sensaul pleasures otherwise, briefly he left sensual pleasures ...
by Antaradhana
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:45 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: How was it technically verified in Theravada?
Replies: 31
Views: 2048

Re: How was it technically verified in Theravada?

In theory, any creatures who see the aura of the Buddha and Arahants, at least know that they are unusual, unique, superpowerful creatures, and then some of the devas may become interested, begin to observe, and even stay in our world for a while to listen to Dhamma. Thus, Buddha and Arahants attrac...
by Antaradhana
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:13 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: How was it technically verified in Theravada?
Replies: 31
Views: 2048

Re: How was it technically verified in Theravada?

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:23 pm
Viachh wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:19 pm As it is known, only arhants were allowed to the first cathedral
What's the Cathedral? I've never heard of it.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/sbe20/sbe20119.htm
by Antaradhana
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:47 pm
Forum: Ordination and Monastic Life
Topic: Mom dejected about my decision to ordain
Replies: 42
Views: 3863

Re: Mom dejected about my decision to ordain

unseeingdog wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:39 pmI have already decided that I will ordain soon.
Sādhu! Sādhu! Sādhu!
by Antaradhana
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:25 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Jhanas, Misconceptions that have arisen regarding the Four Rupa Jhanas.
Replies: 254
Views: 21786

Re: Jhanas, Misconceptions that have arisen regarding the Four Rupa Jhanas.

Then we have Brahma Viharas, poetical words used to describe superior states of mind. It does not mean that if we practice brahma viharas, we practically get teleported to brahma world, or deva world, but there is a serenity in the mind of the practitioner, that it appears like a teleportation, but...
by Antaradhana
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:21 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Jhanas, Misconceptions that have arisen regarding the Four Rupa Jhanas.
Replies: 254
Views: 21786

Re: Jhanas, Misconceptions that have arisen regarding the Four Rupa Jhanas.

...and an4.123 does not state that a person who is able to enter a particular jhana at will is reborn by Brahma in the corresponding world of rupa-loka, after death in the human world... Is said: "There is the case where an individual, withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful qualities,...
by Antaradhana
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:47 pm
Forum: Wellness, Diet & Fitness
Topic: Dangers of Marijuana
Replies: 35
Views: 12420

Re: Dangers of Marijuana

I believe that the effect of weed is very different from the effect of alcohol. If alcohol becomes dull, provokes aggressive behavior and disinhibits, then weed on the contrary stimulates creativity, the desire for knowledge and soothes (indica). If alcohol unambiguously provokes bad behavior, then...
by Antaradhana
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:22 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Suffering is not a satisfactory translation for the Pali word "Dukkha"?
Replies: 66
Views: 4473

Re: Suffering is not a satisfactory translation for the Pali word "Dukkha"?

Dukkha includes the suffering and the dissatisfaction. Dukkha is three-part: 1. the suffering (physical and mental); 2. the dissatisfaction due to changes (when the pleasant ends, including life in a pleasant world); 3. the dissatisfaction due to conditionality (samsara).
by Antaradhana
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:58 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: One of the reason why there is no solid evidence that there is an afterlife
Replies: 13
Views: 1388

Re: One of the reason why there is no solid evidence that there is an afterlife

cappuccino wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:52 pm I find there is evidence, I've run across ghosts & angels
Can you tell a detailed story?
by Antaradhana
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:15 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Does the consciousness experience nibbana ?
Replies: 60
Views: 3332

Re: Does the consciousness experience nibbana ?

cappuccino wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:46 am ~ SN 1086-7
I do not understand what this sutta number is. Write a standard sutta number so that I can see the Pali original. Sometimes the phrase amata-dhatu is translated in this way. Sometimes in poetic stanzas, amatam padam is written for rhythm.
by Antaradhana
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:55 am
Forum: Early Buddhism
Topic: Abbot is the late concept in Buddhism
Replies: 9
Views: 1025

Re: Abbot is the late concept in Buddhism

This is due to the fact that the monks began to live in one place, and almost ceased to wander. They took root, and some of them acquired property and power, which is bad, of course.
by Antaradhana
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:41 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Does the consciousness experience nibbana ?
Replies: 60
Views: 3332

Re: Does the consciousness experience nibbana ?

Did the Buddha say that after the final nibbana without the rest of the fuel, any consciousness continues? it's called the Deathless state Yes, only he calls the element , not the state . The Buddha also calls nibbana "unborn." Because it is a cessation of existence (bhava nirodho), and no further ...
by Antaradhana
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:34 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Jhanas, Misconceptions that have arisen regarding the Four Rupa Jhanas.
Replies: 254
Views: 21786

Re: Jhanas, Misconceptions that have arisen regarding the Four Rupa Jhanas.

Sutta with an important point: AN 6.73 Paṭhamatajjhāna Sutta: First Absorption (1st) “ Mendicants, without giving up these six qualities you can’t enter and remain in the first absorption . What six? Desire for sensual pleasures, ill will, dullness and drowsiness, restlessness and remorse, and doubt...