Search found 7064 matches

by binocular
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:55 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Faith and Reliability
Replies: 43
Views: 4189

Re: Faith and Reliability

Regarding faith a comment found elsewhere, like lightening it struck me. A comment from sutta central made by Karl Lew. When I started rock climbing , I inferred that I could trust the rope–it’s physics, right? Yet I had doubts. Eventually I got so frustrated with my doubts that I went to Yosemite,...
by binocular
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:44 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Idealism Revisited
Replies: 406
Views: 11984

Re: Idealism Revisited

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:10 am/.../Thoughts?
In short, you're comparing different theories of reality.
On the grounds of what exactly?
The very fact that you're conducting such a comparison implies that you tacitly favor one theory of reality over another, which is what makes it possible to compare them in the first place.
by binocular
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:30 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: The Dhamma recalibrates your feelings and perceptions
Replies: 60
Views: 3628

Re: The Dhamma recalibrates your feelings and perceptions

Do you have an actual canonical reference with which you can substantiate that arhants are still subject to hindrances? The Buddha gets tired Tiredness is not the same as sloth. The Buddha still has a human body, and the human body doesn't have infinite amounts of energy. Therefore, it gets tired. ...
by binocular
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:12 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: The Dhamma recalibrates your feelings and perceptions
Replies: 60
Views: 3628

Re: The Dhamma recalibrates your feelings and perceptions

coconut wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:05 pmThen he lies down for fun or no reason when he gets injured? Why lie down and not sit?
For the same reason that an arahant would not eat gravel or step into dog poo despite seeing it, I suppose.
by binocular
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:01 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: The Dhamma recalibrates your feelings and perceptions
Replies: 60
Views: 3628

Re: The Dhamma recalibrates your feelings and perceptions

They've mastered the path, so no for the most part, but the only hindrance they're vulnerable to is sloth since sloth is not a fetter, and their body still ages and gets less energetic with age, or due to past karma they may get injured, so they need to do something like lie down to prevent sloth f...
by binocular
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:40 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: The Dhamma recalibrates your feelings and perceptions
Replies: 60
Views: 3628

Re: The Dhamma recalibrates your feelings and perceptions

coconut wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:52 pmSloth is the only hindrance Arahants have to deal with.
Arahants have hindrances to deal with???

?
by binocular
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:29 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: What does ego mean?
Replies: 30
Views: 5412

Re: What does ego mean?

cappuccino wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:27 pm
binocular wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:21 pm Because otherwise, New Agers can't make money off of gullible, desperate souls.
everyone's situation is desperate, including you
But not everyone is gullible. And not everyone has money that could be taken from them.
by binocular
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:21 pm
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: What does ego mean?
Replies: 30
Views: 5412

Re: What does ego mean?

What does ego mean? "Ego" is the politically correct word for when people want to criticize someone severely, or just flex their mental masturbatory muscles. Because, like, it's not all that spirishual to call someone a retard or an idiot. Why does only frustration, anger .. etc get associated with...
by binocular
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:26 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Negative thoughts to positive
Replies: 38
Views: 5276

Re: Negative thoughts to positive

In that particular case, the person who had the belief expressed in the final quotes is advised to examine it with a view to abandoning or eradicating it. Clearly, setting that as a condition is the problem. What do you mean by the underlined part? And yes, people are advised as you say, yet this i...
by binocular
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:41 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Negative thoughts to positive
Replies: 38
Views: 5276

Re: Negative thoughts to positive

Essentially, by not fooling oneself. Could you give an example of how you could feel that you were just fooling yourself? "Two men were imprisoned in a prison cell. One was looking out the window at the beautiful moon and felt serene, the other was staring at the wall in the darkness, bemoaning his...
by binocular
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:56 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Negative thoughts to positive
Replies: 38
Views: 5276

Re: Negative thoughts to positive

traffic signs don't hypnotize you they direct you, guide you, protect you for everyone's benefit Provided you trust them. Provided you trust that they were placed there by the authorities who knew what they were doing and who truly have the benefit of all in mind. Provided that you have good reason...
by binocular
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:50 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Negative thoughts to positive
Replies: 38
Views: 5276

Re: Negative thoughts to positive

Is that not bordering on self hypnosis? I'm not sure what self-hypnosis would amount to, but this would mean generating positive attitudes so that things did not appear as afflictive. When "changing one's negative thoughts into positive ones", how does one escape the feeling that one is just foolin...
by binocular
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:48 am
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Negative thoughts to positive
Replies: 38
Views: 5276

Re: Negative thoughts to positive

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:12 pmThey contain excellent advice for all people, irrespective of whether they are monks or not.
My point is that some advice is applicable only in the sphere of being a monastic.
by binocular
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:44 am
Forum: Connections to Other Paths
Topic: Why Advaita Vedanta even Hinduism has many gods, not one?
Replies: 11
Views: 2946

Re: Why Advaita Vedanta even Hinduism has many gods, not one?

I can understand why there are many gods as per Buddhist teaching. Why Advaita Vedanta even Hinduism has many gods, not one or even none? One explanation I've heard is that the various gods are incarnations of the Supreme Deity, who incarnates himself differently in order to appear to people in acc...
by binocular
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:56 pm
Forum: General Theravāda discussion
Topic: Negative thoughts to positive
Replies: 38
Views: 5276

Re: Negative thoughts to positive

But for those who hate their job, that's how they turn those feelings into something better. The suttas quoted are giving advice for monks, within the scope of a monk's activities. If "changing negative thoughts into positive thoughts" would in and of itself be a good thing, irrespective of the con...