Members Bios - please contribute yours

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
sentinel

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by sentinel »

ashavp wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:51 pm Hello friends!

My name is Asha, from Kerala, India.

Buddhism was predominant in Kerala centuries ago, but not nowadays.
I am raised to be a Hindu. But circumstances led me here. It is really tough to follow 5 precepts here as we cook/eat non-vegetarian food daily and I work at a department store.
Friends and family won't go easy on me if I reveal that i am trying to learn Buddhism. I am a 34 year old married woman and has a daughter.
Thank you

Namo Buddhay
Hello Asha , if one practise the dhamma , no need to declare one is a buddhist . One can say follows what is wholesome , virtuous and righteous .

Many Hinduism teachings can lead one to wholesome state , which is a preliminary step towards liberation .
You always gain by giving
bokaratom

Post by bokaratom »

My name is Tom Fernandez. I retired from teaching Computer Science at a State University in Florida. For the last four years I have been traveling around the USA in a motor-home with my wife. Usually when I get to a new area I look for Buddhist groups to visit. I have been to a variety of different Buddhist groups including Theravada, Zen and Tibetan. I enjoy meeting people meditating and sharing thoughts about Buddhism. I've met some wonderful people who have helped me on my path. I've been meditating off and on since I was a teenager. I started in a Hindu tradition (actually Sant Mat). I became disillusioned by the teacher but have continued to meditate and have been learning about Buddhist techniques of meditation. I'm skeptical of dogma but I try to stay open minded. I hope that everyone including myself can transcend all suffering and come to complete realization. I am optimistic about this and my intuition tells me we're all going to be OK! Visit me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/DoctorTom
0000sunyata

Post by 0000sunyata »

My name is Jim Dillon. An American, I have been living in New Mexico though my family are in Michigan, where I lived for many years. In my early 30's my work involved teaching several psychiatry residents from India. I began to inquire about their religion and they were eager to educate me. A searcher by nature, or maybe just by virtue of desperation, I thought deeply about what they had said and decided that my next step would be to read the Bhagvad Gita. I put this off for several months, until one day, while attending a meeting at the World Trade Center (not far from where the airplanes would come crashing in on 9/11), I began to think obsessively about reading the Gita. I resolved that at lunch time I would find a book store in the WTC (the ground floor was shop after shop arranged in a large circle) and acquire a copy. When the meeting let out, I was first to the elevators and soon found myself on the ground floor looking from left to right, wondering which way would bring me to the nearest book store. As I reflected on this decision, a robed man, perhaps one of the once ubiquitous Hari Krishna's, came up to me, held out a book, and placed it my hand. "I would like to give you this book," he said, or something of the sort. I looked down and was flabbergasted to see that I was holding the Bhagvad Gita.

Plainly the East was beckoning and surely something was expected from me, though I still do not know what that was. I later read the Tao Te Ching, which affected me profoundly. Eventually martial arts led me to Buddhism, especially Zen. Zen, in practice, has much in common with Theravada Buddhism, I think, though it extols a range of beliefs, not especially critical to practice, that are distinctly Mahayana--fanciful, magical, and informed by a cosmology that is contrary to what we know of our own universe, let alone all the other posited realms of existence filled with innumerable Buddhas and competing paths to Buddhism. Theravada seems to me much like Zen, stripped of the magic and belief in Gods and ghosts and other forms of spiritual life. DNS has said something along the lines of different strokes for different folks with respect to schools of Buddhism, suggesting that all paths are basically OK; but not all have been so generous in their estimation of alternative beliefs. I just read a tract by Nichiren who calls for burning the temples and beheading the priests of the rival Pure Land, Shingon, and Zen sects!

The Pali texts are of an entirely more modest and more plausible provenance than the Mahayana sutras, which stretch credulity to the extreme when placing their words in the mouth of the historical Buddha. This is not to say that there is not great wisdom to be found in these writings, only that their sources, obscure or unknown, cannot be reliably traced to the Buddha. Moreover, the Pali texts are largely apolitical, requiring no commitment to saving the planet from climate change or removing Trump from office, agendas that many American Mahayanists embrace. (See, e.g., https://www.lionsroar.com/buddhist-teac ... ntial-win/ . It seems to be a given that if you are Buddhist, but especially a Buddhist of the "socially engaged" variety, you see Trump's presidency as a catastrophe.) I do not know where American Theravadists stand on such matters, but I don't think that the philosophy requires them to stand anywhere, whereas the Bodhisattva vow is a pledge to make everyone else as compassionate as you are. (OK, maybe not exactly, but you get my drift here....) Nor do the Pali texts require from the practitioner seeking relief of suffering that she vow to continue to suffer for countless Kalpas and rebirths while everyone else is being saved. I admit it: even if the Mahayana doctrines made sense to me, I am just not nice enough to embrace them. So... this is why I have joined the Theravada forum.

I may said a great deal about myself while ostensibly revealing virtually nothing. By profession I am a psychiatrist with a special interest in forensic and correctional psychiatry, aggression through the life span, and a few other things. I am a lousy amateur musician. I have three grown-up (to varying degrees) children, one of whom is about to marry and has warned me that I will likely be a grandfather soon. I left my last job when the company I worked for was booted out of the state corrections system and I am now decideing what to do next. I am 67 years-old, so one option is to do nothing. But that does not pay very well and my daughter is being charged out-of-state tuition at the University of Michigan. So stay tuned on my next assignment. I have visited Thailand a few times and have vowed to learn the language, but Thai is tough, especially for a geezer with failing hearing, so I may need to be reborn in Thailand before I fulfill the vow.

I've read a few posts and can see that there are many very smart, thoughtful people here. I look forward to learning why I am totally wrong about everything. :jumping:
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

31 years old. Welsh. Currently in my 3rd and final year of a biomedical degree. Will get my state registration as a biomedical scientist in the autumn. Returned to uni after dropping out the first time (18) and working low skilled jobs through most of my 20’s.

First found the Dhamma when I was 18 and at uni (for the first time). Was bored one day and the thought just popped into my head that I didn’t know anything about Buddhism, so I typed “Buddhism” into google. 13 years later and I’m still following it. For sure it changed my life completely, and for the better, even though during my early and mid 20’s there were times when I struggled to stay on the path (drinking, drugs and some casual sex on and off over the years).

I’ve always stuck to Theravada, although I’m not always orthodox. Never really embraced Mahayana or Vajrayana, or any other spiritual or religious system. Early influences on me were Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Sumedho and Ajahn Buddhadasa. These days I mostly read and agree with Ven. Nanananda.

Currently no bf and no plan for one in the future. No kids either. Don’t drink. Don’t do drugs. Currently trying to refrain from all sexual activity (which is quite hard, but having some success). Also trying to cut down on food indulgence and entertainment. Plans for the future? Finish my degree, buy my own house, learn to drive (I never have learnt) and live like a renunciate as best I can whilst being a layman. I do have a desire to ordain, but as I’m an only child I feel I need to be in the world so as to look after my parents in old age.

I try not to read too much philosophy these days, but when I do indulge my favourite topic is the philosophy of mind. I have a big love of politics, but I’m starting to refrain from engaging in that as of late. Have a love of science (obviously lol). Star Wars fan. Also a Star Trek fan. A bit of a causal gamer, although a lot less than I used to be. Bit of a nerd really. I used to be an extrovert but these days I’m quite introverted.

That’s about it :smile:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Mohan Gnanathilake

Re: Self-Introduction (Abhivādana)

Post by Mohan Gnanathilake »

Mohan Gnanathilake wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:53 pm My name is Mohan Barathi Gnanathilake. I am a Sri Lankan. I was born on 10 May 1975 in Kandy, Sri Lanka. I am a nature lover. I am working as a Private Tutor for German language at present. I was in Munich and Freiburg in the past. I got two scholarships to fly to Germany. I passed the “Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung” at the Goethe Institute in Munich.
Personal Information

Name : - Mr. Mohan Barathi Gnanathilake
Permanent Address : - No. 372/ 2, Mahara Prison Road, Ragama, Sri Lanka.
Postal Code : - 11010
Telephone No. : - +94 112957857
E-mail : - [email protected]
All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with impure mind pain follows him like the wheel the hoof of the ox.
(Dhammapada 1, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)

All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind –made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind happiness follows him like one’s shadow that never leaves.
(Dhammapada 2, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)
Mohan Gnanathilake

Mohan Gnanathilake wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:41 pm
Mohan Gnanathilake wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:53 pm My name is Mohan Barathi Gnanathilake. I am a Sri Lankan. I was born on 10 May 1975 in Kandy, Sri Lanka. I am a nature lover. I am working as a Private Tutor for German language at present. I was in Munich and Freiburg in the past. I got two scholarships to fly to Germany. I passed the “Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung” at the Goethe Institute in Munich.
Personal Information

Skype ID : - live:.cid.2f7d5a405690dd3a
I have included my Skype ID. I have a Microsoft account, not a Skype Name
All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with impure mind pain follows him like the wheel the hoof of the ox.

All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind –made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind happiness follows him like one’s shadow that never leaves.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

I am arrived to buddhism when im 18 or 19... my life was full of comfort but still even in that comfort i perceived impermanance. i think what if all this things suddenly go away from me? and i suffered. so i typed google how to go free from all suffering... two dhamma appeared in search. one is patanjali yoga book and other is buddhas dhamma. i first saw patanjali yoga sutra and found it cant be practiced todays world (it is tough when i read it first few times) and then I read buddhism and was extremly happy when i understood it and validated it on live instantly and found it 100% real and matching it to my expeirence. whatever I suffered buddha also suffered the same so buddha was my friend more than a teacher for me because we both underwent same things. luckily he found the way and can show to us. the first teaching of buddha that i read was buddha perceived death, illness, loss of loved ones and he "found deathless". i first thought deathless means life without conventional death (or immortality) and started following the teachings with that view. However when i read main teaching of buddha that all is impermanance, suffering and non self..I validated it and found to be true and from that day I am true follower till I acheive nibbana. I then learnt dependent origination of external and internal ... when parents went to jewel store they were amazed to buy gold but in my mind standing next to them the following thought came "its just the light reflected on object going to eyes and they are basically clining to light entering the eyes" how deluded every human beings are to grasp at something that no one there to grasp at anything... gladness came to my mind and i know for sure that I cannot be cheated by illusions. then most important happened was that i learnt the karma process. I didnt learn in detail but what i read was actions will cause effect even beyond this normal death of physical body and was fascinated by heaven. I did many good things, did metta even on transport bus, while walking, while before going to sleep and even ever i want i can do metta on anyone at will.. life was blissful and i was very successful in my daily life with perfect balance ... however after reading emptiness now my mind dont cling even to karma fruits as it there is no one to gain anything.. now I am stone sitting and not even willing to perceive anything and I expeirence pleasure that is best of all when in emptiness but when I come out to conventional reality its like coming and falling in to dung hole toilet... now there is no self or non self or perception of this or that and hence no reqward syustem activate in this body and hence my mundane life going down..im jobless..money is getting used..new money not coming and i might come to streets in no time and die in hunger but its all process after process and I make sure there is no condition that bring this process again and again and after this conventional death no process remain to originatie again.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Mohan Gnanathilake

Mohan Gnanathilake wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:25 pm
Mohan Gnanathilake wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:41 pm
Personal Information

Skype ID : - live:.cid.2f7d5a405690dd3a
Google Talk : - Mohan Barathi
I have included my Google Talk name.

Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

I'm Sasha, 39, in the Netherlands. Long time lurker coming out of the shadows. I came across the dhamma at university and it immediately felt like truth. My practice started in earnest when I went on sabbatical to SE Asia in 2013. I did 2 Goenka, 1 Mahasi Sayadaw and 2 anapanasati retreats.

The last 5 months of my trip were spent meditating, studying and volunteering at the retreat centre of Buddhadasa's monastery in Thailand, Suan Mokkh. That cemented my faith and practice. I came back in 2015 and have dedicated my life to lay practice since then. I feel most affinity with the Thai forest tradition but am curious about all paths and keen to learn from them. My formal practice is now based on metta.
Mudita1

Post by Mudita1 »

Hello to all Dhamma Friends, I am from Penang, Malaysia.
First came across Buddha teaching in University, but only approached Buddha teaching in 2003, was introduced by a friend, also by my curiosity to find out more. Started with Mahayana tradition, became a volunteer worker for some years, practiced some small donations, slowly I feel more joy in doing so. But, still lack of clear direction on how to practice as a Buddhist that can lead me to understand 4NT.
2010, came across Theravada tradition, was introduced by the same friend again. This time, I was lucky as I met a Bhante that emphasized on original Buddha teaching - Sutta. From there on, it took me some years to observe and to be convinced on my previous wrong understanding about Buddha teaching. It was that time I started meditation - annapanasati. Since then, I slowly develop my faith on Buddha teaching.
I came across Myanmar lineage and Thai lineage, and found myself more suitable to Thai Ajahn Chah lineage, but I constantly open up myself to other traditions and lineages.
In this group, I am hopeful to participate in dhamma and meditation discussions, with referring to 5 Nikaya. May you be free from bodily and mentally suffering, be joyful and happy...Sadhu Sadhus Sadhu.
Gwi

Post by Gwi »

1. Name: upāsakå Gwi
2. Age: 1993
3. Country: lovely-big-county-of-the-super-Indonesia🇮🇩
4. Meditation object:
(A) Memorize kanon Pāḷi (4 times/day)
(B) Dvattinksākārå (everyday)
5. Future: buddhist teacher (not now)

I trying to memorize
All Majjhima Nikāyå
And Dhammapadå, etc.
ricardofranciszayas

Post by ricardofranciszayas »

Hello Everybody,
My name is Ricardo Zayas (Rick) from the USA. I have been a Dhamma practitioner for close to 12 years. I will be 70 years old and came to the Dhamma when I was 58. Better late than never. I am a musician by trade for close to 50 years. My practice is rooted in Theravada but I do employ mantras from the Tibetan tradition as well. I have had the wonderful experience of practicing with the North Carolina
Buddhist Vihara in Durham, North Carolina. The Vihara is the focal point of the Sri Lankan community in the area. Venerable Wajirapala Thero is the head Monk and a patient, kind and skillful teacher. Although the temple serves the Sri Lankan community,
there are quite a number of Western practitioners. The lay meditation instructor there is Christopher Thurston, a highly trained teacher, and a fellow practitioner.
The saying goes: “The Dhamma is beautiful in the beginning, in the middle and at the end.” Because I came to the Dhamma late in life, this saying has a lot of meaning for me. I try to measure my life within the framework of the Dhamma. I fail miserably at times but the Buddha’s method makes so much sense. It forces me to face impermanence and work at enjoying life.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Hello. Im Allan Lokko, 29, im a schitzofrenik (means ive have had some episodes). Im from Estonia and I live with my family. I came to meditation before dhamma in my early years. I developed a hearing for types of dhamma I preferred to listen to and asceticise from youtube. Ive visited 2 retreats in Aegna, there were teachers respected teachers from Estonia, Sri lanka, India who were very kind :namaste: I asked about following such path myself and looking back now ..well it all leads back to practice and Im still looking and listening at home and in the nature:twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :thanks:
Last edited by [email protected] on Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

I am Brian, 46 years old and from US. I work in behavioral health and enjoy bodybuilding, walking/hiking and reading (mostly dhamma books, suttas) when not meditating. I have been vegan for almost 4 years and was a vegetarian for 11 years, with a few years of meat-eating in between. I am a fan of all the Boston sports teams (Patriots, Bruins, Celtics, and Red Sox) although i find baseball too boring to watch often. I am also a fan of the NY Giants and Penn St. college football. I have a degree in political science but have thought of going back to school for a degree in buddhist studies. i'm still undecided on that, though.
dhamma_junkie

Post by dhamma_junkie »

Hello. I'm a 33-year old man living in Colombo, Sri Lanka. I was born a Buddhist, but I had had a strange interest in Buddhism since I was small.
Despite a "terrible" meditation practice, some power keeps me close to dhamma.

Since the age of 20, my health has not been good. I've had major surgeries. I don't have any major health issues now, but the body still feels restless, stressed, and anxious, with on and off depressive episodes, causing bodily symptoms like muscle spasms and fatigue.

I'm optimistic that my health will get better. But I don't want to delay my practice until things are better. So hence, here I am, seeking your advice on how to progress from where I am.

:buddha1: :yingyang: :candle: