A Nice Cup of Tea for Everyone (Other Beverages Are Available)

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
teaflower

A Nice Cup of Tea for Everyone (Other Beverages Are Available)

Post by teaflower »

:coffee: Good morning from Texas! :hello:

My route to this forum has been odd. About seven years ago, I developed a chronic pain condition. Someone suggested mediation, so I read a Jon Kabot-Zinn book and tried it out. I lasted about three weeks because it did nothing for me and seemed "off," so I stopped.

After the pandemic hit, I randomly took a free online course about psychology and Buddhism. After I finished, I headed to Youtube to get the Buddhist perspective, thinking I'd satisfy my curiosity in an hour or two. That search pulled up a talk by Ajahn Brahm at the Buddhist Society of Western Australia. I probably watched about 20 talks in a week! I kept watching them while I read a few books by Jack Kornfield, Thich Nhat Hahn, and Walpola Rahula. From there, I watched the Noble Eightfold Path workshop from the BSWA and downloaded Ajahn Brahm's meditation booklet. Somewhere along the way, I realized meditation in America had been completely removed from the Noble Eightfold Path and turned it into something it probably wasn't intended for. That's why it had seemed so "off" to me.

Anyway, I just started the BSWA's Early Buddhism course last week. It involves a lot of sutta reading. :reading: I thought I might end up starting a thread or two about topics from the course at some point, so I wanted to at least say "Hello!" before I did that. :tongue:

I hope everyone is having a :heart: wonderful :heart: day. :group:

p.s. Sorry about overdoing the smilies. They're too cute though. This is why you can't take me anywhere nice.
bodom

Re: A Nice Cup of Tea for Everyone (Other Beverages Are Available)

Post by bodom »

Welcome from San Antonio!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
teaflower

Post by teaflower »

Whoa... hello, neighbor! I'm in Austin. How are two people from Texas -- of all places -- on this forum and also awake at 6:30 a.m.?!?!?!? :rofl:

I'm choosing to take it as a positive sign. :heart:
bodom

Post by bodom »

teaflower wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:51 am Whoa... hello, neighbor! I'm in Austin. How are two people from Texas -- of all places -- on this forum and also awake at 6:30 a.m.?!?!?!? :rofl:

I'm choosing to take it as a positive sign. :heart:
Lol yes we are few and far between out here in Texas but we ARE out here. Welcome to the group! I hope you find it to be everything that I have. :heart:

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hello teaflower..... and welcome from me in the UK, as I drink a nice cup of English tea in my afternoon tea break!

:coffee: