Blue Hoop Appearing Around Me Whilst Meditating

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Easebak

Blue Hoop Appearing Around Me Whilst Meditating

Post by Easebak »

Hoping you're all well and wishing everyone the very best for now and always.

Below I'm going to detail my experience and would very much welcome some insight as to what is happening.

When meditating I have a blue hoop appear - it happens quite deep into my mediation, and the hoop is only visible when my eyes are closed.

I can have it going up and down around my body or fire it out from the top of my head, either to land back down on me, or fire it our across the room - to do this I need to squint to see where to fire it, and it acs up and always lands on target, and then another one appears around me.

Initially I thought that this must a normal manifestation of meditation - and tangible verification that something had been achieved / triggered, but I've had no feedback from others having a similar experience so am reaching out to you in the hope of gaining a better understanding of what I'm experiencing and why.

The hoop is electric blue and thick, like an energy field donut or swimming aid, and can be made to go up and down or fired up and off, or dissolved - I really don't know what to do with it and it naturally distracts me from my meditation, so I keep it a while and then dissolve it and carry on, but I do believe that may be a manifestation of something (and perhaps something which I can utilise).

I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Has anyone else had experience of this?

Looking froward to hearing from you.

Metta
JamesTheGiant

Re: Blue Hoop Appearing Around Me Whilst Meditating

Post by JamesTheGiant »

That is cool and interesting!
Feel free to play with it, but don't get sidetracked from the purpose of what you were doing.
It's nothing the Buddha talked about using, so I'd suggest letting go of it, and returning to whatever meditation you do.
I had all sorts of awesome things happen in meditation, nimitta, lights, sounds, visions, textures, sensory bizarreness... and the advice from my teachers was usually the same, just go back to the meditation and continue.
Cheers! :anjali:
Easebak

Post by Easebak »

Thanks James.

I've looked for some level of sensation from it to integrate it in the vipassana but it doesn't seem to have any perceptible effect on the areas it's passing around, or when it's ejected - and no difference 'sensationally' if it's there or not.

I was just really wondering if there was any idea what it is and why it is manifesting.

I just don't wanted to relegate something which could be potentially beneficial into the realm of 'distraction.'

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has experience or knowledge of such.

It comes from free flow, like the free flow energy turns in on itself and becomes a blue hoop that floats around my chest area and can be directed up or down as I've described previously.

I can dissolve it and that's what I do, as it going up and down is just like playing with a yoyo (and isn't part of the technique I'm utilising, which is sensation focussed).
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Easebak wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:10 pm Thanks James.

I've looked for some level of sensation from it to integrate it in the vipassana but it doesn't seem to have any perceptible effect on the areas it's passing around, or when it's ejected - and no difference 'sensationally' if it's there or not.

I was just really wondering if there was any idea what it is and why it is manifesting.

I just don't wanted to relegate something which could be potentially beneficial into the realm of 'distraction.'

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has experience or knowledge of such.

It comes from free flow, like the free flow energy turns in on itself and becomes a blue hoop that floats around my chest area and can be directed up or down as I've described previously.

I can dissolve it and that's what I do, as it going up and down is just like playing with a yoyo (and isn't part of the technique I'm utilising, which is sensation focussed).
Are you practising in the Goenka tradition of Vipassana? There are a couple of phrases in your last post that suggest that. If so, I would advise that you raise it with a teacher in that tradition. In fact, if you have a teacher who instructed you in the technique you are currently using, I would certainly raise it with them.

I have heard of such things being beneficial if they are nimittā, where they can be the occasion for deeper and more focussed concentration if you deal with them correctly. But I've never heard of or experienced anything like your account, particularly on account of part of it passing behind you, or it being above your head. Do you mean that you have, when your eyes are closed, a mental image of your sitting body, as if you were somehow regarding it from a distance? Unless something is in front of you (i.e. in your field of vision) then how can you know it is blue?
Easebak

Post by Easebak »

Thanks Sam.

It's a hoop - it springs into existence and is visible from where I'm sitting, around me, but I've got my eyes closed so can't see my body, but I can see it around me, and direct it up and down.

As for it being behind me, with my eyes closed I've looked round to my left and right and it's like I've described, an electric blue hoop.

I've brought it up with teachers but they while they seem interested they say that it's not part of the technique and they have no explanation and I should go back to focussing on sensations.

I'm very interested to hear your 'I have heard of such things being beneficial if they are nimittā, where they can be the occasion for deeper and more focussed concentration if you deal with them correctly.' This kind of guidance is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you - it's an encircling blue ring that forms from free flow, and with my eyes closed I can see it, very vividly, like and electric blue hoop. I just don't know what to do with it. But if it could potentially be utilised I'd be very interested learn how.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Easebak wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:38 pm Thanks Sam.

It's a hoop - it springs into existence and is visible from where I'm sitting, around me, but I've got my eyes closed so can't see my body, but I can see it around me, and direct it up and down.

As for it being behind me, with my eyes closed I've looked round to my left and right and it's like I've described, an electric blue hoop.

I've brought it up with teachers but they while they seem interested they say that it's not part of the technique and they have no explanation and I should go back to focussing on sensations.

I'm very interested to hear your 'I have heard of such things being beneficial if they are nimittā, where they can be the occasion for deeper and more focussed concentration if you deal with them correctly.' This kind of guidance is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you - it's an encircling blue ring that forms from free flow, and with my eyes closed I can see it, very vividly, like and electric blue hoop. I just don't know what to do with it. But if it could potentially be utilised I'd be very interested learn how.
If you are staying with the Goenka vipassana teachings, then I would do as they say and just ignore it. You said in the OP that you can dissolve it, so it might be best if you do just that. Mixing techniques might be confusing, or lead to you not being honest with people who you need to be honest with.

Some people (myself included) use focussing on a nimitta (usually a visual image or "sign" which appears, or more rarely a sound) as a way of deepening concentration. That's much more associated with samatha, or meditation designed to bring about states of calm. (Goenka-style retreats deal with this in the first three days...) Some teachers would certainly help you with using this productively in your meditation. But what you describe is certainly outside my experience, and I wouldn't know how to advise. And I would be wary about taking advice on the internet too seriously, especially as this seems to be such a personal thing.

Are there any other traditions you have face-to-face access to? Either way, if the image is not problematic or troubling, you might try exploring a bit on your own and seeing what effect concentrating on it has. There are basically two main responses: giving it lots more attention to see what develops, or ignoring/dispelling it and carrying on as before. Neither approach seems to sound any warning bells!
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

Teachers always say that you can/will see a lot of things during/after the sustained meditation, like the beautiful sky-flower or smth else.

The advice is always the same: don't pay attention to it, continue mindfulness/vipassanā/jhāna. And usually they say: don't tell anyone about your visions/experiences, because other people will desire to have such thing too.

The images etc. is the mind playing with you.
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
Easebak

Post by Easebak »

Thanks guys.

Sam, when you say 'Mixing techniques might be confusing, or lead to you not being honest with people who you need to be honest with.' I'm not so sure what you mean re. the honesty bit.

Surely it's valid to want to explore the possibility of expanding your practice to include elements which are manifesting - personally I feel that's entirely justified (even if from some perspectives mistaken). But I'd have no reason to lie about it - I'd share my experience, positive or negative, for the benefit of all. Seems fine to me.

I've looked up nimitta since you introduced me to the term, and as a 'sign' I'd have to say that it does indeed seem to potentially directly relate to what I'm experiencing.

I'd never thought on non-localising my experience and focussing on the hoop and building it up / make it grow, but I've seen that as one suggestion as to how to utilise a nimitta.

I need some direction.

Yes, the technique I've been taught and the people who teach it have their own way of doing things (and I'm very grateful for the technique they taught me, but they seem not to validate the experience I'm having with having and progressive potential - meanwhile in the hour or so since you introduced the term to me I've seen that others do.

I live in London, so quite centrally placed.

Sam, asking you for direction, where and what direction would you suggest I go to look into this further? I'm going to be cautious and careful, but any and all advice you could give me would be hugely appreciated.

I don't want to the limited by the protocols of the people I've been taught by; I went to learn a technique, not to have any potential progress later on down the line inhibited - said with all due respect. I'm very grateful for what I learned / taught to me out of kindness.

Already, I can't thank you enough for the acknowledgement of my experience and being able to potentially give it a name / concept / frame.

Sam, where would you suggest I go from here to look into things further to assess the most advisable direction to take?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Easebak wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:42 pm Thanks guys.

Sam, when you say 'Mixing techniques might be confusing, or lead to you not being honest with people who you need to be honest with.' I'm not so sure what you mean re. the honesty bit.

Surely it's valid to want to explore the possibility of expanding your practice to include elements which are manifesting - personally I feel that's entirely justified (even if from some perspectives mistaken). But I'd have no reason to lie about it - I'd share my experience, positive or negative, for the benefit of all. Seems fine to me.
I meant that if you did other than your Vipassana teacher tells you, you will either have to be upfront and tell them that you are disregarding their advice (and I'm not sure how they'd react to that one!) or you will have to lie to them. But yes, I completely agree about expanding one's practice and doing whatever is needed to deepen and improve it. :anjali:
I live in London, so quite centrally placed.

Sam, asking you for direction, where and what direction would you suggest I go to look into this further? I'm going to be cautious and careful, but any and all advice you could give me would be hugely appreciated.
My advice would be to try this:

https://www.samatha.org/

They are strongly into nimittā and jhāna. You will see that on the front page that there is "Find your nearest class", and there are several in London. They are currently emerging from lockdown Zoom (at different rates) and if possible try to find a class that meets in person. Far better. You'll see that they also have a big new centre at Milton Keynes. They have a set pattern of teaching which means that you will not be talking about nimittā etc. for some time, but you can always raise the "blue hoop" thingie with them and see what they say.

I would normally have sent you this by PM, but I don't think you have that function yet as you are new to the board. When you do get it, drop me a line by PM and I can give you further info.

Good luck! :anjali: :heart:
Easebak

Post by Easebak »

Will do - Massively appreciated - Thank you
Easebak

Post by Easebak »

Meanwhile if anyone else had any direct experience of such I'd be very keen to hear their take on it...

Metta...
zak

Post by zak »

Easebak wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:32 am Meanwhile if anyone else had any direct experience of such I'd be very keen to hear their take on it...

Metta...
I do not have direct experience but have some knowledge about them. There are forty objects meditated upon as kammatthana, the first ten are kasiṇa and blue kasina is one of them. More in the following link.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamma%E ... Dh%C4%81na
Easebak

Post by Easebak »

Much appreciated Zak - thank you
jons

Post by jons »

Easebak wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:35 am Hoping you're all well and wishing everyone the very best for now and always.

Below I'm going to detail my experience and would very much welcome some insight as to what is happening.

When meditating I have a blue hoop appear - it happens quite deep into my mediation, and the hoop is only visible when my eyes are closed.

I can have it going up and down around my body or fire it out from the top of my head, either to land back down on me, or fire it our across the room - to do this I need to squint to see where to fire it, and it acs up and always lands on target, and then another one appears around me.

Initially I thought that this must a normal manifestation of meditation - and tangible verification that something had been achieved / triggered, but I've had no feedback from others having a similar experience so am reaching out to you in the hope of gaining a better understanding of what I'm experiencing and why.

The hoop is electric blue and thick, like an energy field donut or swimming aid, and can be made to go up and down or fired up and off, or dissolved - I really don't know what to do with it and it naturally distracts me from my meditation, so I keep it a while and then dissolve it and carry on, but I do believe that may be a manifestation of something (and perhaps something which I can utilise).

I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Has anyone else had experience of this?

Looking froward to hearing from you.

Metta
Congratulation! Your mind stillness is at Access Concentration (Upacara samadhi). You need to practice body contemplation like: contemplation of 32 body parts or asubha practice. The practice of body contemplation is to prevent your mind from leaving the body. If your mind is leaving the body, your practice will not progress (on the wrong path). The right path is keeping your mind in the body all the time if you want to progress in your practice. The body is the boundary of the mind.

You can use the light to shine on your physical to inspection the inner part of the body or just contemplate on the body without using the light. Everything that you see, you should note it as impermanent (anicca). When you are disenchanted and let go of your body, the light will grow brighter.

After you let go of your body, you will contemplate on feeling (vedana khanda). When you get disenchanted with the feeling, and you let go of the feeling, the light will grow brighter.

After you let go of your feeling aggregate, you contemplate on memory (Sanna Khandha). When you get disenchanted with memory, and you let go of the memory, the light will grow brighter.

After you let go of memory aggregate, you contemplate on that light to remove the blemish (Avijja) from the light. When you are completely removing the blemish from the light, your holy life journey is completely done, and you do the lion roar.

These are what I learned from the teachers of the Thai Forest Tradition. Here is a website and check it for yourself.
https://forestdhamma.org/books/

My opinions

Jons
Easebak

Post by Easebak »

Massively massively appreciated Jons - Thank you

Metta