Page 2 of 3

Re: Another "Moin"

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:24 pm
by acinteyyo
puthujjana wrote:
acinteyya wrote: By the way - I left the other one. It was a helpful time there but things have changed, you know...
Do you mean "Buddhaland"?
yes that one.
puthujjana wrote: btw.: We have met at StudiVZ some time ago :smile:
I was formerly known as "puthujjana" at StudiVZ. Were you possibly known as "gruenkern"?

Re: Another "Moin"

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:51 am
by puthujjana
acinteyya wrote:Were you possibly known as "gruenkern"?
Yes, "gruenkern" was my nickname at Buddhaland :smile:

Re: Another "Moin"

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:52 am
by acinteyyo
puthujjana wrote:
acinteyya wrote:Were you possibly known as "gruenkern"?
Yes, "gruenkern" was my nickname at Buddhaland :smile:
isn't it funny...? this world must be a tiny place... :D

Re: Another "Moin"

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:10 pm
by acinteyyo
Hi all,

I don't know where to put this so I put it here. The circumstances changed. My girlfriend and I have a serious relationship for about 8 years now. We've had our ups and donws and we both are relativly young. We decided to make one's career first so that we won't regret that we haven't done everything in the past for a good job 'cause we thought later it could be to late and a good job, well paied will be very helpfull for a young family and so on... Well, that's live, a lot of supposing how the future might be. The last 2 or 3 years we noticed slightly that we're drifting apart. Because of the work we've seen each other very unfrequently, about 1 or 2 days a week sometimes less. I never was someone who had lots of friends and my family is spread (don't know if that is the right word). Some live in Spain, some in Switzerland, some elsewhere all over germany. I never was very interested in social contacts. My girlfriend was most of the time the only person and reason why I did all the wordly things. (I never really knew why I should live a life how the others told me how life has to be lived)
So I too wanted to have a family, house, children and all that stuff when I was younger, but now the only thing I see in things like that is dukkha. Earlier I wasn't interested in things like that but after school (and when I met my girlfriend) I thought this is going to make me really happy, this is going to be satisfying. I always doubt it. Today I'm sure that won't be satisfying. Or better that is all dukkha and will never decrease but rather becoming more and more. We're not ready to break up now but it's not a question "whether ... or not" but "when". I noticed that my interest in this world of dukkha decreases more and more. I think I'm going to manage this circumstances and reduce my "involvement" concerning the wordly life which my girlfriend and I are living at the moment. We're still very good friends. All I see day after day is: "there is the normal life and you know that it's impossible to live it without dukkha. do you want to keep on living like that?" - Guess what's my answer? - I'm tired of it!
I need to let these things go till there is nothing (especially no-one) left so that all the dukkhá looses its footing.

Re: Another "Moin"

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:18 am
by retrofuturist
Greetings acinteyyo,

My advice would be, in those circumstances, to ensure you steer clear of anything which could complicate any future interest in the monastic life such as engagement, marriage, children, combined purchases/investments of a significant scale.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Re: Another "Moin"

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:33 am
by Pannapetar
Hi acinteyyo,

You are right. Career and work entail dukkha, marriage and family entail dukkha, single life entails dukkha, and -guess what- monastic life also entails dukkha. Some think that monastic life is free of dukkha, or at least easier, but that's an illusion. What monastic life does is that it puts you (hopefully) in a better position to deal with dukkha.

It is important to understand that you cannot escape dukkha, no matter what you do. There is no running away from dukkha. But you can learn to avoid unnecessary dukkha and learn to manage the unavoidable part skilfully. You don't need to become a monk in order to do that.

While the avoidance of dukkha is skilful in some situations, one must realise that it makes a very poor life goal. If the supreme goal in life is the avoidance of dukkha, that's a bit like dodging life itself. I would not recommend this approach. Instead, follow the path that you recognise to be of true value.

Cheers, Thomas

Re: Another "Moin"

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:11 am
by acinteyyo
Pannapetar wrote:Hi acinteyyo,
You are right. Career and work entail dukkha, marriage and family entail dukkha, single life entails dukkha, and -guess what- monastic life also entails dukkha. Some think that monastic life is free of dukkha, or at least easier, but that's an illusion. What monastic life does is that it puts you (hopefully) in a better position to deal with dukkha.
It is important to understand that you cannot escape dukkha, no matter what you do. There is no running away from dukkha. But you can learn to avoid unnecessary dukkha and learn to manage the unavoidable part skilfully. You don't need to become a monk in order to do that.
While the avoidance of dukkha is skilful in some situations, one must realise that it makes a very poor life goal. If the supreme goal in life is the avoidance of dukkha, that's a bit like dodging life itself. I would not recommend this approach. Instead, follow the path that you recognise to be of true value.
Cheers, Thomas
Thank you for your answer Thomas! I did not say anything about becoming a monk. But the advantage of monastic life, as I see it, is that a lot of worldly hindrances related to a worldly life can be easily reduced. The one who still lives a "normal" life can only reduce hindrances hardly to a certain level, beyond that normal live becomes impossible and following the path becomes impossible, too. One should think about that. That's why I said:
acinteyyo wrote:I think I'm going to manage this circumstances and reduce my "involvement" concerning the wordly life
Pannapetar wrote:It is important to understand that you cannot escape dukkha, no matter what you do.
You're not serious aren't you? Take a look at my signature. I wouldn't do anything if there wouldn't be a way out. But you're right in case of "self". If someone "is someone" and thinks "I am" then there is no escape from dukkha for him/her until things are seen as they are.

best whishes, acinteyyo

Re: Another "Moin"

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:19 am
by acinteyyo
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings acinteyyo,
My advice would be, in those circumstances, to ensure you steer clear of anything which could complicate any future interest in the monastic life such as engagement, marriage, children, combined purchases/investments of a significant scale.
Metta,
Retro. :)
Hi retro,
sounds good to me! ;)

Re: Another "Moin"

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:18 am
by Pannapetar
acinteyyo wrote:You're not serious aren't you?
Maybe it's the wording: You cannot escape dukkha, but you can defeat it.

Cheers, Thomas

Re: Another "Moin"

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:33 am
by acinteyyo
Pannapetar wrote: You cannot escape dukkha, but you can defeat it.
I don't get it.

Re: Another "Moin"

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:05 pm
by Thaibebop
Guten Tag! Herzlich willkommen! Mein Name ist Shaun.

Sorry, I just completed my first semester of Deutsch and am enjoying opportunities to practice. Hope you enjoy it here! :hello:

Re: Another "Moin"

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:10 pm
by acinteyyo
Moin again,

I'm back although I wasn't really away. I have had a lot to do the last months and therefore only rarely visited dhammawheel. Sometimes only to read a bit or to check whether I received a PM or not.

I've decided to share the recent changes in my life. As some of you know I have nearly served 10 years in the german air force. This year will be my last year. In the german military you can start a new apprenticeship after 10 years if you don't want to stay in the military and return to civil life. Now that those 10 years come to an end I decided to introduce some major changes to my lifestyle in order to adjust the course more alongside the path of right livelihood.

I managed to get an early exemption from military service which enables me to begin an apprenticeship as farmer in September. It'll take about 2 - 3 years. I plan to invest my compensations in a tiny piece of land and start to build a self-sufficient and sustainable little farm. In the future I hope I will be able to withdraw myself from the cycle of money and live a simple and secluded life.

As you probably can imagine, my military service often made proper Dhammapractice difficult, therefore I'm very glad that this huge obstacle has been overcome and I'm looking forward to the new changes ahead.

best wishes, acinteyyo :anjali:

Re: Another "Moin"

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:23 pm
by Modus.Ponens
Congratulations! A well deserved change to practice the Dhamma without obstacles.

Best of luck!

Re: Another "Moin"

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:35 pm
by katavedi
Anumodana, acinteyyo! It sounds like a good decision, and more conducive to practice.

Kind wishes,
katavedi

Re: Another "Moin"

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:49 pm
by The Thinker
Hello