How did you come to Buddhism? (poll)

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?

How did you come to Buddhism? (see post for elucidation)

1) Through meditation
30%
2) Through Dhamma
62%
3) I can't say I adopted Buddhism as a religion
8%

Total votes: 116

_anicca_

Re: How did you come to Buddhism? (poll)

Post by _anicca_ »

When I was 13, I was seeing a therapist for a mood disorder and he recommended meditation as a way to help cope with the difficulties that we're arising. Sometime soon after that, I listened to a guided meditation, and I was astounded at the sense of peace and tranquility the practice instilled in me. Later, I came upon Buddhist meditation and everything about his teachings I knew to be true on a fundamental level - I was certain that this was the path to the cessation of suffering and that these teachings pointed to the truth.

I committed to Buddhism soon after.
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia
The Thinker

Post by The Thinker »

Craving was the main factor, craving for understanding, hope, for something new(somethings never change)
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth
not myself today

Post by not myself today »

i was aware of Buddhism for decades and kept looking into it and being decidedly...un-grabbed by everything i encountered on the subject. ironically, considering my present dedication to the Theravada path, it was the first chapter or so of "Meaningful to Behold" by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso that finally did the trick for me (after i was first drawn to said chapter by the wonderful title of that book in the World Religions section at Barnes & Noble). i forget exactly how the progression went now, but at some point - after i fell away even from Meaningful to Behold, i guess - it occurred to me that since i love stories, it might follow that if i could find a story or stories about Buddhism, i might at last be able to wrap my head around what Buddhism was all about in some meaningful way.

i was a member of Audible.com - the stories i'd obtained through that site being what helped me to realize that stories were an effective way to my heart - so i searched

story buddhism

or something much like that (i remember looking up the word "Buddhism" to be sure i'd spelled it right :P ), and came up with, among others, The Middle Way: The Story of Buddhism, which captivated me (i've probably listened to most of it about 40 times by now) and led me, in some roundabout way i no longer recall, to seek out Theravada.

even though it wanders into Mahayana territory in its latter half, i still heartily recommend The Middle Way... to anyone wanting to become better acquainted (or at all acquainted) with the path. not only does it serve as a compelling introduction, but it seems to reveal deeper truths as the student becomes ready. it was while listening to that book for probably around the 35th time that i heard in a new way a phrase that i'd heard about 34 times before, looked around me, and suddenly grasped the illusory nature of "things" - that everything we think of as being a thing (or a self, as the case may be) is in fact just a process with no actual substance or selfhood at all.

hmm...i should probably start listening to it regularly again. it might be able to help me grasp a lot of other concepts i haven't quite wrapped my mind around yet.

anyway, that's how i came to Buddhism, in case anybody's that interested. :D

:anjali:
Ian

Not in the faults of others
nor what they did or failed to do,
but in oneself should be sought
things done, things left undone.

- Dhammapada 4.50
JMGinPDX

Post by JMGinPDX »

I posted this in my entry in the "Introduction" forum, but...
I have a 6-year-old son who is quite independently-minded and strong-willed (e.g. exactly like his father), and my wife and I have had some challenges in responding to him in difficult moments. I also had some immense suffering that was about 7 months behind me at the time, and while I was already on a good path of change, was ready for something more.

I found myself thinking when reflecting on my past suffering and my child-rearing challenges - "in this situation, what would the Dalai Lama do?"
It was as if my instinct realized that I potentially had wrong view, and that the only relevant cultural "hero" my unknowing mind could conjure who had right view was HHDL, even though I knew practically nothing of Buddhism or even HHDL.
So I asked my wife if we had a book by the Dalai Lama, and she said "no, but years ago my mom loaned me a copy of a book called 'Being Peace' that is by a Buddhist monk." Of course that monk is Thich Nhat Hahn! The wisdom that was sitting on my bookshelf for years, and I didn't even realize it!
That then lead me to look up Buddhism on Wikipedia, which then lead to hours and hours of the Wikipedia bunny trail and I clicked link after link and read more and more about the history, the traditions, the beliefs, the practices, etc. etc. etc. - it was overwhelming!
I finally got copies of "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" (Shunryu Suzuki) and "The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings" (TNH), started reading on Access To Insight, subscribed to podcasts from Shambhala, Sharon Salzberg, Ajahn Amaro reading Ajahn Chah, Karma Yeshe Ragbye and Dhammanet.
We visited the local Pure Land temple and weren't terribly excited, and I also investigated local Zen centers and Shambhala. I came to realize, though, that I didn't care for the extra-superstitious aspects of all of the above and was really interested only in what Buddha Gotama said (or as close a version of it as we can have), so I found myself drawn to Theravada. My first exploration was in the more Secular Buddhist path, but I was turned off by the lack of spirituality, so I re-centered on Kammatthana Forest tradition and now am happily studying that and practicing (just started) at a local Dhamma center that supports Abhayagiri. My first visit included a visit by Ajahn Sona, so it was a perfect introduction to sila!
I've also been meditating daily for about 30 minutes a day and have been having good results with breath meditation and contemplation of the dhamma.
I am now happy to call myself a Buddhist!
Right now, it's like this...
JMGinPDX

Post by JMGinPDX »

TheVeganBuddhist wrote:
SarathW wrote:
TheVeganBuddhist wrote:A video game.
A video game to a monk is a quite a leap!
Can you give bit more info about how did it happen?
The video game? I simply turned it on and was captivated by their nature, it lead me to seek information in the real world which eventually lead me to my first Temple.
The only video game I have with any reference to Buddhism is Asphalt Airborne 8. There's a racetrack dubbed "The Buddha's Teachings." I'm not sure Gotama would understand the connection between the Dhamma and racing a souped-up Bugatti Veyron at 230mph past his likeness :shock:
not myself today

Post by not myself today »

JMGinPDX wrote:I'm not sure Gotama would understand the connection between the Dhamma and racing a souped-up Bugatti Veyron at 230mph past his likeness :shock:
:lol:

it does beg the question of what video game it was...but then the onus would be on me to resist the temptation to go and find and play it…
Ian

Not in the faults of others
nor what they did or failed to do,
but in oneself should be sought
things done, things left undone.

- Dhammapada 4.50
JMGinPDX

Post by JMGinPDX »

not myself today wrote:
JMGinPDX wrote:I'm not sure Gotama would understand the connection between the Dhamma and racing a souped-up Bugatti Veyron at 230mph past his likeness :shock:
:lol:

it does beg the question of what video game it was...but then the onus would be on me to resist the temptation to go and find and play it…
Resist, resist, resist! I unlock my iPad routinely and am faced with the choice to play the game or study the Dhamma...Buddha always wins eventually :smile:
SearchingPeace

Post by SearchingPeace »

When I was a kid, about 15, I had a zen book called "101 zen stories"
I started meditating, almost like joking, then I stopped again for many years
I have always been interested in religions even though I was agnostic
After many years I joined a Mahayana temple, I was 27 then, and I attended for about 1 year the courses about the dhamma. During summer I spent some days in retreat both in a Mahayana temple and in the Santacittarama temple near Rome, which follows the Thai forest tradition. There I understood that the Theravada tradition is the closest to the original message of the Illuminated One, and also the one I appreciate best.
What I consider more important than any other thing in buddhism is its aim to free all living beings from suffering
robbie77

Post by robbie77 »

I was getting into eastern philosophy and practising yoga as a student in Edinburgh at age 23 in 2007. One day, I was withdrawing some cash when I saw approaching a lady with orange robes and a shaven head. I was immediately intrigued since I was searching at that time, so I struck up a conversation with her and it turned out she was Ajahn Candasiri of the Thai Forest Tradition at Amaravati. She gave a talk later that day and I went along. I don't remember much from the talk but what I do remember very clearly was the concern on her face during a question and answer session whilst a man was describing a personal problem. I'd never seen such concern for the welfare of another and I was impressed. She gave some wise advice and ever since, I've been affiliated with the Thai Forest Tradition through Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho. I have stayed at several monasteries and may well ordain myself one day... But for the time being I have been fighting a tumour in my pelvis, which has recurred but has been removed again... Perhaps it will stay gone this time and I can get back to full mobility and health in order to pay off some debts and ordain, but the future is so so uncertain...

:anjali:
gateisred

Post by gateisred »

When I was younger my mom, although she is a Christian, had gotten me a Buddha statue for my room. I think she saw it more as a decoration that was peaceful in nature, but it sparked my curiosity. I had originally thought that Buddhists worshiped Siddhārtha Gautama as a sort of god, but after some short research I came to find that Buddhists of course, don't believe in a creator god. This really appealed to me as I had been agnostic for a number of years after turning away from my Christian faith when I began to find it increasingly illogical, community problems, etc. It was basically from there that my Buddhist path started, after a few more weeks of just interest I started practicing meditation and eventually took refuge. I already find myself being in general more conscious of my thinking, more mindful, and just not fretting unnecessarily as much. I'm excited to continue on my Buddhist path. :)
Hostilities aren't stilled through hostility, regardless.
Hostilities are stilled through non-hostility:
this, an unending truth.
:buddha1:
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

I had a lot of stress and anger from work which was ruining the time I had with my family. I tried a breath counting zen method I found on the internet and am so lucky that I got very positive results right from the beginning.

My interests moved to Theravada because of the vast amount of free material available, and the pali canon was much easier for me to understand than Zen teachings.
Pumo

Post by Pumo »

Well, I came into Buddhism trhough Dhamma.

As a child, I was raised Catholic, but with time all the family turned a bit skeptical and with different beliefs.
My older siblings turned atheists when I was still very young, and in the start there were some difficulty between my mom and them, but then later she became some kind of spiritual Agnostic Christian and very far from fanatic and dogmatic, and with time, I also turned atheist.

Years later, when I got a serious disease (Hodgkin's Lymphoma) and thoughts of death came to my mind, in my desperation and doubt about existence and non-existence I went to Christianism and Bible reading, and I remained as a Christian for some years.

However, I always felt doubt and uneasiness, specially regarding death, and couldn't find a satisfying conclussion on the Bible nor in Christian teachings, so I went to an Agnostic Atheist approach.

I already knew some stuff about Buddha and Buddhism from the past, but didn't really knew anything about the Dhamma.
I thought that Buddha was simply a very wise man (that I knew was a prince called Siddhartha) that became some kind of God (!) that was very peaceful, and I must confess that on some desperate moments, and with my old conpection of "Gods", I prayed and asked for help on my life to both Jesus and Buddha, lol :tongue:

But I was totally ignorant about Dhamma, and with increasing stress and an underlying anxiety disorder.
However, one day in a book fair I found a couple of interesting biographical books about Muhammad, founder of Islam and Buddha, founder of Buddhism, and as an Agnostic I was eager to know more about religions and spirituality in general.

When I came into the part of the book of Buddha that covered the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path, I felt it like a revelation, but not from the Gods, but from the universe itself, as if some part of me felt the sublime and powerful message of Dhamma, resonating deep.

And since then, I became interested and totally engaged into the Buddhadhamma, and even if I suffer severeley from anxiety and Vicikiccha (as I tend to be very doubtful in general, also regarding spirituality), every day it passes I feel how my faith in the Three Jewels increases more and more.

I attended a seminary of Tibetan Buddhism on April, and I study and learn a lot of the Dhamma everyday, as well as the philosophies of other religions (in particular religions from India and recently the Kabbalah). :reading:

In the end, I feel like a growing devout Buddhist with a Theosophical touch (but not related to the specific Theosophical school that it exists out there, but in the broad sense of the word).

Buddham Saranam Gacchami, Dhammam Saranam Gacchami, Sangham Saranam Gacchami! :bow: :buddha1:
'may all beings be happy at heart.' - Karaniya Metta Sutta :buddha1:
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

I am born to a buddhist family. But I did my college studies in a catolic school. I was confronted by the question of belief in a supreme God. But my personnel research in Dharma made me understand that we beings exist in order yo manifest energy to sustain universal energy for the equilibrium of the earth extending to the solar system and to the universe.
Rebirth, karma, and the benefits of dharma are provable facts to follow the Buddha dharma and meditation along with the fact that we are traversing in a non ending sankara.
Rebirth is not just 're incarnation but rebecoming of our own vingnana which projects out physical self.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Great thread!

Deserves much more replies.

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

I had been meditating for about 3 years before learning the Dhamma. I wanted to learn meditation theory and was looking for manuals. I think i never completely dismissed the idea of rebirth but i didn't hear the truth about the doctrine of self until mid 20s.