Hello from a Scotsman in Beijing...

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
mairuwen

Hello from a Scotsman in Beijing...

Post by mairuwen »

Hi, very glad to be here!

I'm a Scotsman who has been living in China for a number of years now. Although I've never formally taken refuge, Buddhism and meditation are important for me in trying to live with greater mindfulness and to benefit rather than harm other beings.

I don't know if this is common practice but I've also just made an account on the Mahayana Dharma wheel site. (Hope this is considered acceptable?) I live in a country where the (limited) opportunities to make contact with Buddhism are only really with Mahayana Buddhists, but I read a lot of books and listen to many Dhamma talks from within Theravada Buddhism by Bhikkhu Bodhi, Ajahn Amaro and others.

Overall, I don't identify with any single tradition or organisation just now..... although I see the pitfalls of eclecticism (in fact I remember Bhikkhu Bodhi mentions this in his short book on the eightfold path.)

In fact I would really like to find one path and make a deeper commitment to it. A lack of opportunities to do that here is one reason for joining Buddhist forums online. If I can learn more and even make friends, that would be great!

Thank you
Sam Vara

Re: Hello from a Scotsman in Beijing...

Post by Sam Vara »

Hello mairuwen, and welcome to Dhamma Wheel! :namaste:
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

P.S. It's no problem at all that you're a member of multiple DW's!

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

mairuwen wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:36 am
I don't know if this is common practice but I've also just made an account on the Mahayana Dharma wheel site. (Hope this is considered acceptable?)
Yes that's a good idea. It is acceptable :toast:
Are there Buddhist temples or monasteries in Beijing? Or is that sort of thing still frowned upon in the capitol?
I know there are many monasteries in some parts of the country.
Is this website blocked over there? Or do you use a vpn.
Welcome!
mairuwen

Post by mairuwen »

Thanks very much for everyone's kind and friendly welcomes! :smile:
JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:27 am
mairuwen wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:36 am
I don't know if this is common practice but I've also just made an account on the Mahayana Dharma wheel site. (Hope this is considered acceptable?)
Yes that's a good idea. It is acceptable :toast:
Are there Buddhist temples or monasteries in Beijing? Or is that sort of thing still frowned upon in the capitol?
I know there are many monasteries in some parts of the country.
Is this website blocked over there? Or do you use a vpn.
Welcome!
Yes there are. However, a lot of temples in the city mainly function just as places for people to pray and offer incense and are run directly by the government without much connection with the Chinese Buddhist Association or the Sangha. The living temples/ monasteries where communities of monks actually live and practice tend to be on the outskirts. And for a foreigner, both language and political difficulties make it tricky to have much contact. Though that may also partly be down to me.

I just checked with my VPN turned off and it seems like dhammawheel is perfectly accesible but dharmawheel is blocked.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
mairuwen wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:29 am I just checked with my VPN turned off and it seems like dhammawheel is perfectly accesible but dharmawheel is blocked.
Interesting... Could be because their interest in Vajrayana manifests as support for Tibet, whereas Tibet is neither here nor there in the context of Theravada Buddhism.

Metta,
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)
budo

Post by budo »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:56 am Greetings,
mairuwen wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:29 am I just checked with my VPN turned off and it seems like dhammawheel is perfectly accesible but dharmawheel is blocked.
Interesting... Could be because their interest in Vajrayana manifests as support for Tibet, whereas Tibet is neither here nor there in the context of Theravada Buddhism.

Metta,
I would wager it's more a catch all filter for anything with "dharma", he could test it out by going to hindu websites which use dharma.
mairuwen

Post by mairuwen »

I just gave www.dharmatrading.com a try and it seemed to come up with no problem, which suggests it's specifically targeted. But I guess there's no way of knowing for sure what the reason is with these things.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Welcome :toast:
Paññaṃ nappamajjeyya, saccamanurakkheyya, cāgamanubrūheyya, santimeva so sikkheyyā’ti

“One should not neglect wisdom, should preserve truth, cultivate relinquishment and train for peace.”

Dhātuvibhaṅga Sutta
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
This is our foundation: to have sati, recollection, and sampajañña, self-awareness, whether standing, walking, sitting, or reclining. Whatever arises, just leave it be, don’t cling to it. Whether it’s like or dislike, happiness or suffering, doubt or certainty... Don’t try to label everything, just know it. See that all the things that arise in the mind are simply sensations. They are transient. They arise, exist and cease. That’s all there is to them, they have no self or being, they are neither ‘us’ nor ‘them’. None of them are worthy of clinging to.

- Ajahn Chah
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

mairuwen

Post by mairuwen »

Thank you all!
tpburnham