Partner smoking, also weed

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Dhamma queen

Partner smoking, also weed

Post by Dhamma queen »

Hi all,
Firstly I am not a religious Buddhist however am a serious Vipassana practitioner and one who deeply respects and serves the Dhamma. I am practising Vipassana in the tradition of U Ba Khin, please let me know if it’s ok for me to be a part of this forum.

Today I’d like to share with you something to get it off my chest but also am curious if anyone else is having or has had a similar experience.

I used to drink, smoke and take drugs in the past and gradually reduced them to the point of being 100% clean for almost a full year now. I am very serious about observing the 5 precepts in daily life and mediating for at least 2 hours every single day without a miss (this has been the case for the last 9 months straight). However my husband is still into smoking and I really, really struggle to tolerate this. And it’s not so much the actual smoking but the whole level of interaction between us that it results in.

While I respect his choices as an individual, I really don’t understand why he would keep making them AND wanting to be with me at the same time. He says he is working towards stopping but what i see is no sign of it but on the contrary: the more respectful and accepting I am of his choices, the more often he smokes and when I eventually struggle to tolerate it and point it out, he blames me for being impatient with him ...

Sometimes I really don’t know how much it is about me being patient and him manipulating me into bearing with his toxic ways. I am used to always seeing the good in people and giving the benefit of the doubt but I feel there also needs to be a balance in that.

What does Theravada Buddhism say about such cases and does any of you have a similar experience at all?

I feel my path being the path of Dhamma very strongly and although I would love to share it with a partner, I would always choose it before any body.

Thanks for your time and much Metta to all!
bhante dhamma

Re: Partner smoking, also weed

Post by bhante dhamma »

Hi upasika, blessings in Dhamma to you, your partner & your family.

Well the first thing that popped into my mind is the words 'āsevana can balānam' from the maṇgala sutta, which mean avoid association with 'dujanah' people with no 'buddhi' or dhammic intelligence, why? It drags us down and as people who value sīla and restraint it has a negative affect on our minds and can lead to deterioration in our practice, which is definitely not wanted, oh and before I forget congratulations on your efforts in the U Bha Khin traditon i hope it brings much samādhi to your mind. Indeed 'insignificant is the loss or relatives great is the loss of wisdom' AN1.

So but on the other hand there is another list from DN 31, which talks about 4 qualities of a 'suhada mitta' a good friend, one of which is enduring through periods of happiness and suffering 'sukha/ dukha'. So if you are no longer 'sīla samaññatā' the same I'm virtue or 'diṭṭhi samaññatā' the same in view then some decisions/discussions need to be made about what you value as individuals in order to make the future clear about whether the direction you are going is mutually shared. I think it's only natural that you end up parting ways with friends & family to varying degrees maybe, but after starting vipassana and then taking it seriously unless they are 'sādhu-jana' people who are bound for Nibbāna, it has to happen eventually, and it's actually a sign you're progressing, so pramodya to that also. You are correct also on the paradigm of putting ones dhamma practice first above other things, it's called 'Dhamm’ādipateyya' making Dhamma the chief or at least using its parameters as a guide rather than 'lok'ādipateyya' the world or self as the leader (likes& dislikes), hope everything goes well for you guys, sukhī hotu.

Good is a friend when I'm need
Good is merit at life end
Good is the abandonment of all evil
Good is the destruction of all dukkha Dhp Nagavagga
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Greetings,

If you have advised him the draw backs of smoking it and he still carries on smoking it then I would say leave him to it. It is his choice and his kamma. You can’t be responsible for that. Instead, focus on your own sila and look into the dukkha that’s arising from wanting to change things to suite your own desires. Use mindfulness. Of course, if he’s trying to get you to use again that is out of order. And no, it doesn’t matter if you are non-religious.

Metta

:)
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Greetings DQ,

The Pali scriptures do mention the marriage situation where a goddess (a follower of the five precepts) lives with a wretch/zombie (a non-follower of the five precepts), here: AN 4.53; although it appears no advice is given.

Your situation appears difficult because the impression is you & your husband, together, cultivated the habit of smoking weed & using other intoxicants for many years. It seems intoxicants were part of your mutual lifestyle. In other words, it is possible you might possibly not have much in common when the mutual intoxication is removed.

The fact you have given up intoxicants for merely one year shows your expectations towards your husband may be too high because habits can be difficult to break. Weed has a psychological addiction and cigarettes have a strong physical addiction. On Buddhist chatsites, the draw backs of various vices are often mentioned yet members often don't change or take many years of suffering to change.

Now, at least you have the Dhamma on your side because the scriptures teach a lasting marriage relationship is based on wholesome mutual behaviours, here: AN 4.55. The scriptures also teach (somewhere) about four essential qualities for marriage relationships, which are:

1. Honest & truthful communication (sacca).

2. Training in self-improvement (dama).

3. Patience/tolerance (khanti).

4. Generosity/sacrifice/unselfishness (caga).

Therefore, the starting point is honest & truthful communication with your husband. While I personally do not recommend pushing Buddhism onto him, at the very least you can honestly communicate your aspiration/hopes for what you want your marriage to be like and that he live a more wholesome lifestyle for the obvious reasons.

As inferred, this wholesome lifestyle must include some healthy common interests, whatever they could be, such as say sports, exercising, bushwalking, going to the beach, arts, cooking, whatever.

In summary, your situation seems to mostly depend upon how much you wish to maintain your marriage. If you wish to maintain your marriage then you have a personal & mutual duty to exercise your love and point out to your husband a lasting healthy marriage depends on healthy mutual interests.

Kind regards :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

This video might be helpful because it's matter of fact without religious or pro-cannabis connotations.

If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

People in relationships change. When couples or individuals in relationships get sober and pursue a more healthy life, people can change to the extent that have different life priorities. Sometimes people are willing to change more than their partners. "Theravada Buddhism" and the pali canon gives advice about how to establish and maintain skillful conduct, and encourage others to do the same, but also see the limitations where someone will not be committed to ethical conduct. Beyond that, it is up to your own discretion-- personally, I would recommend a couples therapist to help moderate these issues.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I second DooDoot's advice of open and honest communication with your husband. Also beware of getting advice from strangers on the internet who don't know much about you and your relationship (including your own shortcomings). You will receive well-intentioned advises, but its you who should know better.

Welcome to DW :heart:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Dhamma queen wrote: I respect his choices as an individual, I really don’t understand why he would keep making them
Children find happiness just spinning in circles

:shrug:
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

I know that smoking is extremely harmful, but being a 20-year smoker it's almost impossible to cut it completely. Instead, I have found ways to limit the harshness and effects by using a bubbler as it's a bit healthier.
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

What does Theravada Buddhism say about such cases and does any of you have a similar experience at all?
All conditioned phenomena are impermanent, non-self, and insufficient/unsatisfactory. While a relationship might have its strong points, these points themselves are subject to the three characteristics.
I am used to always seeing the good in people and giving the benefit of the doubt but I feel there also needs to be a balance in that.
This is like saying "I'm used to always seeing the blunt parts of a knife." (My point is: If we can be mindful of the dangers of knives, we won't cause harm to ourselves or others. And of course, we shouldn't.)
and although I would love to share it with a partner,
Why?
I am very serious about observing the 5 precepts in daily life and mediating for at least 2 hours every single day without a miss
What really matters is the cultivation of refuge and following the Noble Eightfold Path. Just forcing yourself to sit for 2 hours, in itself, isn't a sign of much. What do you intend to accomplish this way? Why are you doing it? The why is more important than the what.

To expand this, try having an intense period of practice following the 8 precepts. My understanding of intense here is not mega-meditation. But rather, it's really focusing on the qualities of the heart that are necessary for us to follow the path.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

DooDoot wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:23 am Greetings DQ,

The Pali scriptures do mention the marriage situation where a goddess (a follower of the five precepts) lives with a wretch/zombie (a non-follower of the five precepts), here: AN 4.53; although it appears no advice is given.

Your situation appears difficult because the impression is you & your husband, together, cultivated the habit of smoking weed & using other intoxicants for many years. It seems intoxicants were part of your mutual lifestyle. In other words, it is possible you might possibly not have much in common when the mutual intoxication is removed.

The fact you have given up intoxicants for merely one year shows your expectations towards your husband may be too high because habits can be difficult to break. Weed has a psychological addiction and cigarettes have a strong physical addiction. On Buddhist chatsites, the draw backs of various vices are often mentioned yet members often don't change or take many years of suffering to change.

Now, at least you have the Dhamma on your side because the scriptures teach a lasting marriage relationship is based on wholesome mutual behaviours, here: AN 4.55. The scriptures also teach (somewhere) about four essential qualities for marriage relationships, which are:

1. Honest & truthful communication (sacca).

2. Training in self-improvement (dama).

3. Patience/tolerance (khanti).

4. Generosity/sacrifice/unselfishness (caga).

Therefore, the starting point is honest & truthful communication with your husband. While I personally do not recommend pushing Buddhism onto him, at the very least you can honestly communicate your aspiration/hopes for what you want your marriage to be like and that he live a more wholesome lifestyle for the obvious reasons.

As inferred, this wholesome lifestyle must include some healthy common interests, whatever they could be, such as say sports, exercising, bushwalking, going to the beach, arts, cooking, whatever.

In summary, your situation seems to mostly depend upon how much you wish to maintain your marriage. If you wish to maintain your marriage then you have a personal & mutual duty to exercise your love and point out to your husband a lasting healthy marriage depends on healthy mutual interests.

Kind regards :smile:

:goodpost:
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

Dhamma queen wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:08 pm

While I respect his choices as an individual, I really don’t understand why he would keep making them AND wanting to be with me at the same time.

Thanks for your time and much Metta to all!
Why does he smoke weed, what does it do for him?

Metta right back at you :smile:
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

bhante dhamma wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:49 pm Hi upasika, blessings in Dhamma to you, your partner & your family.

Well the first thing that popped into my mind is the words 'āsevana can balānam' from the maṇgala sutta, which mean avoid association with 'dujanah' people with no 'buddhi' or dhammic intelligence, why? It drags us down and as people who value sīla and restraint it has a negative affect on our minds and can lead to deterioration in our practice, which is definitely not wanted, oh and before I forget congratulations on your efforts in the U Bha Khin traditon i hope it brings much samādhi to your mind. Indeed 'insignificant is the loss or relatives great is the loss of wisdom' AN1.

So but on the other hand there is another list from DN 31, which talks about 4 qualities of a 'suhada mitta' a good friend, one of which is enduring through periods of happiness and suffering 'sukha/ dukha'. So if you are no longer 'sīla samaññatā' the same I'm virtue or 'diṭṭhi samaññatā' the same in view then some decisions/discussions need to be made about what you value as individuals in order to make the future clear about whether the direction you are going is mutually shared. I think it's only natural that you end up parting ways with friends & family to varying degrees maybe, but after starting vipassana and then taking it seriously unless they are 'sādhu-jana' people who are bound for Nibbāna, it has to happen eventually, and it's actually a sign you're progressing, so pramodya to that also. You are correct also on the paradigm of putting ones dhamma practice first above other things, it's called 'Dhamm’ādipateyya' making Dhamma the chief or at least using its parameters as a guide rather than 'lok'ādipateyya' the world or self as the leader (likes& dislikes), hope everything goes well for you guys, sukhī hotu.

Good is a friend when I'm need
Good is merit at life end
Good is the abandonment of all evil
Good is the destruction of all dukkha Dhp Nagavagga
:anjali: sadhu....
Deleted