Pleasure to meet you

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Sóley

Pleasure to meet you

Post by Sóley »

Hi everyone,

I decided to come here today because I feel like I need to connect with people in order to grow.

I've never really been into Buddhism, I was more raised as a Pagan from Celtic and Nordic ancestry, but both my parents have been practicing Buddhism for the past 5 or 10 years (not really sure) so I learned quite a lot about all the spiritual things around (lithotherapy, healing plants, chakras, pendulum, meditation, yoga etc.) but never really about Buddhism in himself.

Recently I felt that it was time for me to "regrow" and start a new life.
I took some drastic decisions that were important for me but that I've never really been able to do because I was always discouraged after a few days ; but now I feel ready.
One of those drastic decisions was to shave my head and I can't explain how liberating it felt.

I have a lot to learn and I hope that I can find what I seek here !
I'm as well looking for people to exchange with and push each others to do our best (I'm a bit lazy about doing yoga but I really want to get better soooo I need some motivation for practicing ahah).

Thank you !
SarathW

Re: Pleasure to meet you

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SDC

Post by SDC »

Hi Sóley! Welcome to the forum!

A great way to "scratch the surface" is actually Wikipedia. There you can get a great framework of the history of Buddhism and the different schools/branches. Don't worry too much about the details, but it will helpful to understand the scope. This is a Theravada forum and there is also our sister site DharmaWheel that is for Mahayana - those are the two main schools. Don't hesitate to ask questions in the beginner's section of this forum. I hope you find the forum to be a useful resource.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Sóley,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

By the way, are you from Iceland?

:hello:
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Welcome :hello:

Sóley

Post by Sóley »

Thank you everybody !

I'll definitely check on Wikipedia ! This sounds a good idea ahah. I'm just afraid to be a bit lost with all the information over there but I'm sure I can find some articles or X on Internet.

For @Dhammanando, no I'm not from Iceland but I was living there from 2017 until 2019, I'm from France and Sóley is basically my Icelandic name ! :D
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

This outline of Buddhism might be helpful:

http://www.watpahnanachat.org/an-outline-of-buddhism-1

:anjali:

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Sóley wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:53 pm For @Dhammanando, no I'm not from Iceland but I was living there from 2017 until 2019, I'm from France and Sóley is basically my Icelandic name ! :D
Ókei, ég skil.
:D
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
one_awakening

Post by one_awakening »

Gutsy move with head shaving.
“You only lose what you cling to”
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

I took some drastic decisions that were important for me but that I've never really been able to do because I was always discouraged after a few days ; but now I feel ready.
For what?
One of those drastic decisions was to shave my head and I can't explain how liberating it felt.
Liberation is in the mind, not on the skin.