Namaste!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Dharma Farmer

Namaste!

Post by Dharma Farmer »

Namaste all, I’ve been lurking for a while but thought I’d join finally!

I live in UK and I’m exploring (with great attraction and calling) the Theravada tradition. I’ve spent a few years as a devotee of Sanatana Dharma (Hinduism) but have found that my busy family life (wife and three young children) and the inability to have a guru (as specified in the vedas) has left me questioning my current direction on this spiritual path.

I had been regularly watching a Theravada Buddhist monk on YouTube and much of what he said brought me to my current realisation regarding our own path.

I have a prediction that although I’m not new to meditation etc I am new to some of key differences between Hinduism/Buddhism... especially the atman/self etc! Well let’s find out anyway!

Although I’m aiming high, I understand my place as a lay/householder but any effort to break or reduce suffering & the samsara cycle must have its merits surely?

Well, enough waffling from me! I’d be very grateful if anyone can recommend a good Theravada e-learning course?
Aum Shanti
Rob
(Apologies for not knowing all the lingo yet)
retrofuturist

Re: Namaste!

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Rob,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

As for learning about Theravada, the best way is probably with a Sutta anthology.

Failing that, I remember finding plenty of good, free resources at Buddhanet when I was starting out.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Dharma Farmer

Greetings and welcome. Another good resource for beginners is here: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/

One difference you will find is that in the Dhamma there is no concept of an Atman or self. Instead there is emptiness and not self.
Although I’m aiming high, I understand my place as a lay/householder but any effort to break or reduce suffering & the samsara cycle must have its merits surely?
There are 4 levels of awakening:

Stream-entry: 7 more births before final Nibbana.

Once-Returner: One more rebirth before final Nibbana.

Non-Returner: One rebirth in a heavenly realm and from there final Nibbana.

Arahant: Fully liberated individual. No more rebirths. At death, final Nibbana.

A layman is perfectly able to obtain the first 3, with the right practice. Arahantship can only be obtained if ordained. So, even laymen can achieve quite a lot.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Welcome Rob, I'm from the UK too :hello:

This short outline of Buddhism might be helpful:

http://www.watpahnanachat.org/an-outline-of-buddhism-1

Here's a reader's guide to the Pali Suttas:

https://suttacentral.net/general-guide- ... 0861714919

....and there are lots of resouces available on the website of Amaravati Monastery UK.

https://www.amaravati.org/

:anjali:
Dharma Farmer

Post by Dharma Farmer »

Most kind.

Thank you all
Cblwink

Post by Cblwink »

I am very new to the practice of Buddhism. It began with just learning meditation. After months of practice I finally began reading and some studying. It is like a path that makes sense to me. There is no Temple near me and with COVID-19 the internet and books have helped.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

i wish you all the best.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

Welcome to DW!

May you fulfill your deepest wish for happiness. :namaste:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Welcome, Rob. I am a full practitioner of Sanatana Dharma and have been for many years, and since according to it's Teachings, Buddha is said to be an Avatar of Krishna, I find no real contradictions in the purpose of the Path. Knowing such strengthens my Buddhism infinite fold, and I appreciate everything Buddha has been doing since time immemorial to convert the Bodhisattvas. This Theravada forum is a wonderful expression of the classical and True Teachings of the Buddha after He came down from His meditation at Gaya, and I'm sure if you decide to stay here you will find the Metta and acceptance you need to understand who you truly are and what you truly need. Find your Spiritual Master within.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
Chew SK

Post by Chew SK »

Friend,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iddhipada

This link provides a comprehensive components and fetters
Hope it englightens