Studying pre-Sectarian Buddhism, reading manga and black-listing bad people.

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
StrivingforMonkhood

Re: Studying pre-Sectarian Buddhism, reading manga and black-listing bad people.

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

If the world stops existing, then how can there be rebirths?

:anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
asahi

Re: Studying pre-Sectarian Buddhism, reading manga and black-listing bad people.

Post by asahi »

StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:35 pm If the world stops existing, then how can there be rebirths?

Good point , if the world stops existing , sentient being will hang in the vacuum i guess .
No bashing No gossiping
StrivingforMonkhood

asahi wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:02 am
StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:35 pm If the world stops existing, then how can there be rebirths?

Good point , if the world stops existing , sentient being will hang in the vacuum i guess .
Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than I will weigh in and give some insight.

We are already Buddha
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:41 pm
asahi wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:02 am

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than I will weigh in and give some insight.

What do you mean when you say the world stops existing? The world meaning this particular universe only, assuming no multiverse? Or the whole multiverse, even onto the realms of the forms. Etc...

By Buddhist cosmology, there's cyclic multiverse at least. According to DN1, when the cosmos contracts, beings are mostly reborn in 2nd Jhana Brahma realms. So one cannot destroy samsara, end rebirth by destroying the physical universe.

According to Theravada traditions (commentaries), the Brahma realms can be destroyed only up to the 3rd Jhana Brahma realms, the 4th Jhana Brahma realms are not destroyed. For more info, do Google and read Buddhist cosmology books.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:00 am According to DN1, when the cosmos contracts, beings are mostly reborn in 2nd Jhana Brahma realms.
How can that be when the Pañcagatipeyyālavagga says most will be in the lower realms? :shrug:
“… the sentient beings who die as humans and are reborn as gods are few, while those who die as humans and are reborn in hell, or the animal realm, or the ghost realm are many.”

… “Evameva kho, bhikkhave, appakā te sattā ye manussā cutā devesu paccājāyanti; atha kho eteva bahutarā sattā ye manussā cutā niraye paccājāyanti …pe… tiracchānayoniyā paccājāyanti …pe… pettivisaye paccājāyanti …pe….

“… the sentient beings who die as animals and are reborn as gods are few, while those who die as animals and are reborn in hell, or the animal realm, or the ghost realm are many.”

… “Evameva kho, bhikkhave, appakā te sattā ye tiracchānayoniyā cutā devesu paccājāyanti; atha kho eteva bahutarā sattā ye tiracchānayoniyā cutā niraye paccājāyanti …pe… tiracchānayoniyā paccājāyanti …pe… pettivisaye paccājāyanti …pe….

https://suttacentral.net/sn56.102/en/sujato
Last edited by DooDoot on Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:00 am According to DN1, when the cosmos contracts...
Are you sure what is in this part of DN 1 is the teaching of the Lord Buddha? :shrug:
3.1.2. Partial Eternalism

3.1.2. Ekaccasassatavāda

There are some ascetics and brahmins who are partial eternalists, who assert that the self and the cosmos are partially eternal and partially not eternal on four grounds.

Santi, bhikkhave, eke samaṇabrāhmaṇā ekaccasassatikā ekaccaasassatikā ekaccaṁ sassataṁ ekaccaṁ asassataṁ attānañca lokañca paññapenti catūhi vatthūhi.

And what are the four grounds on which they rely?

Te ca bhonto samaṇabrāhmaṇā kimāgamma kimārabbha ekaccasassatikā ekaccaasassatikā ekaccaṁ sassataṁ ekaccaṁ asassataṁ attānañca lokañca paññapenti catūhi vatthūhi?

There comes a time when, after a very long period has passed, this cosmos contracts.

Hoti kho so, bhikkhave, samayo, yaṁ kadāci karahaci dīghassa addhuno accayena ayaṁ loko saṁvaṭṭati.

As the cosmos contracts, sentient beings are mostly headed for the realm of streaming radiance.

Saṁvaṭṭamāne loke yebhuyyena sattā ābhassarasaṁvattanikā honti.

https://suttacentral.net/dn1/en/sujato
Last edited by DooDoot on Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

StrivingforMonkhood

I am talking about the cessation of planet earth - not the universe. I don't believe the universe can ever be destroyed. Energy is infinite.

Peace and enlightenment, :anjali:

We are already Buddha
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:55 pm I am talking about the cessation of planet earth - not the universe. I don't believe the universe can ever be destroyed. Energy is infinite.

Peace and enlightenment, :anjali:
Actually, this whole observable universe is also impermanent. It will end one day.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_fate_of_the_universe

You might check out the wikipedia link. This is from established physics.
StrivingforMonkhood

Energy and beginningless time cannot be destroyed.

We are already Buddha
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:59 pm Energy and beginningless time cannot be destroyed.

Perhaps there's some misunderstanding.

The notion of cosmos being impermanent fits well with the DN1, DN27 notion of the cosmos expanding and contracting. This is usually mapped onto any cyclic multiverse models in Physics. There's still a lot of them. The cyclic multiverse models basically allows for another universe before our big bang, and after this universe ends, yet another universe. Beginningless time is just that there's no first cycle. Current cosmology model is that there's Big Bang, but we dunno if the Bang is the beginning of time, or there's another universe before the Bang, or eternal inflation etc. So if someone who learns about the Big Bang (commonly misunderstood to have only the meaning of the beginning of time) ask Buddhists how to reconcile Big Bang with beginningless time in Buddhism, just pull out cyclic multiverse models in Physics. It's still not a settled issue.

Energy however, is another thing. It's only conserved if the laws of Physics is unchanged with respect to time. In general relativity, it's less well defined, partly due to time itself being able to be curved. If the dark energy model is true, then dark energy is constantly created as space expands, when energy is created, it could very well mean that energy could be destroyed by some other means, in extreme universe evolutions where either the laws of physics or time changes. Dark energy is supported by various data, and is deduced to exist only if general relativity is true. However, there's still ongoing efforts to replace general relativity with another model which doesn't require dark energy and can explain the observational data of the cosmos. :geek: :anjali:
StrivingforMonkhood

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:37 am
StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:59 pm Energy and beginningless time cannot be destroyed.

Perhaps there's some misunderstanding.

The notion of cosmos being impermanent fits well with the DN1, DN27 notion of the cosmos expanding and contracting. This is usually mapped onto any cyclic multiverse models in Physics. There's still a lot of them. The cyclic multiverse models basically allows for another universe before our big bang, and after this universe ends, yet another universe. Beginningless time is just that there's no first cycle. Current cosmology model is that there's Big Bang, but we dunno if the Bang is the beginning of time, or there's another universe before the Bang, or eternal inflation etc. So if someone who learns about the Big Bang (commonly misunderstood to have only the meaning of the beginning of time) ask Buddhists how to reconcile Big Bang with beginningless time in Buddhism, just pull out cyclic multiverse models in Physics. It's still not a settled issue.

Energy however, is another thing. It's only conserved if the laws of Physics is unchanged with respect to time. In general relativity, it's less well defined, partly due to time itself being able to be curved. If the dark energy model is true, then dark energy is constantly created as space expands, when energy is created, it could very well mean that energy could be destroyed by some other means, in extreme universe evolutions where either the laws of physics or time changes. Dark energy is supported by various data, and is deduced to exist only if general relativity is true. However, there's still ongoing efforts to replace general relativity with another model which doesn't require dark energy and can explain the observational data of the cosmos. :geek: :anjali:

I read your points. I am not in disagreement. But I don't know much about physics - but I there could be universes that come and go. Who knows?

I am more a Vajrayana Buddhist who practices Qigong, by the way, though I have great appreciation for Theravada Buddhism.

May you fulfill your deepest wish for happiness as a novice monk. :anjali:

We are already Buddha
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:01 am

I read your points. I am not in disagreement. But I don't know much about physics - but I there could be universes that come and go. Who knows?

I am more a Vajrayana Buddhist who practices Qigong, by the way, though I have great appreciation for Theravada Buddhism.

May you fulfill your deepest wish for happiness as a novice monk. :anjali:
:goodpost: :anjali:
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:01 am But I don't know much about physics -
Yes. The Buddha said:
Those things that I have known with direct knowledge but have not taught are far more numerous [than what I have taught]. And why haven't I taught them? Because they are not connected with the goal, do not relate to the rudiments of the holy life, and do not lead to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding. That is why I have not taught them.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html