doubts about the teachings

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
WS_Can15

doubts about the teachings

Post by WS_Can15 »

hello everyone, dhamma friends. I hope to clear up doubts through the forum. There are some things that still make me doubt or ignorant about the teachings of the Buddha. 1. I read the aganna sutta, it says "born of Dhamma, created by Dhamma, a descendant of Dhamma." does that mean the entire universe is a dhamma creation? And in the garava sutta it is said that the buddha worships and respects the dhamma.
2.In Buddhism, it does not recognize Mahabrahma as God who might be this figure who is worshiped by divine religions, if asked why the universe was created then they answer if the universe was created for humans as khalifah or to master other creations and when asked why there is a test towards humans who are so heavy that they answer, like children who are educated by their parents to be better. Then, what about Buddhism if asked the same thing and do they agree with their opinion?
3. Dhamma niyama is the regulator of the universe, I need a reference from the scriptures on this subject in more detail.
4. I still don't understand about aspiration or sacca vaca, is that a prayer and what is the difference? Who answered that prayer?
5. I have heard a lecture on the Ratana Sutta, in the lecture it says that the determining factor for the paritta to come to fruition is who is reciting it. Is there any reference to this?
6. There is a sutta which says that the Buddha remembers one birth and so on, who were we before that one birth? Did we not exist before then someone created? ask for his glorious enlightenment and dhamma friends, may everyone get health blessings🙏
confusedlayman

Re: doubts about the teachings

Post by confusedlayman »

god is impermanent .. it is formed and cease due to cause and condition...

can u remember anything of ur past in this life? similarly u can remember past lives...
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Dhamma niyama is the regulator of the universe, I need a reference from the scriptures on this subject in more detail.
According to Abhidhamma there are 24 modes of conditioning five natural laws.
aw of the dhamma (dhammaniyaama) accounts for the phenomena that occur at the last birth of a bodhisatta and also the happenings during the life and at the death of the Buddha
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... #causality
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
WS_Can15

Post by WS_Can15 »

are there any references from suttas?
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

WS_Can15 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:43 am
3. Dhamma niyama is the regulator of the universe, I need a reference from the scriptures on this subject in more detail.
You can read about the 5 Niyamas in chapter 3 of this little booklet by Ajahn Amaro, the abbot of Amaravati Monastery UK:

"Who is Pulling the Strings" https://www.abhayagiri.org/media/books/ ... ngspdf.pdf

:anjali:

WS_Can15

Post by WS_Can15 »

Aloka wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:21 am
WS_Can15 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:43 am
You can read about the 5 Niyamas in chapter 3 of this little booklet by Ajahn Amaro, the abbot of Amaravati Monastery UK:

"Who is Pulling the Strings" https://www.abhayagiri.org/media/books/ ... ngspdf.pdf

thank you, I'll look at it :anjali:
WS_Can15

Post by WS_Can15 »

I hope to be enlightened, all my questions can be answered :anjali:
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

WS_Can15 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:30 am I hope to be enlightened, all my questions can be answered :anjali:
yes u can
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

WS_Can15 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:43 am 1. I read the aganna sutta, it says "born of Dhamma, created by Dhamma, a descendant of Dhamma." does that mean the entire universe is a dhamma creation?
The phrase above is about the Buddha's enlightened disciples.
But only when someone has faith in the Realized One—settled, rooted, and planted deep, strong, not to be shifted by any ascetic or brahmin or god or Māra or Brahmā or by anyone in the world—is it appropriate for them to say:

Yassa kho panassa, vāseṭṭha, tathāgate saddhā niviṭṭhā mūlajātā patiṭṭhitā daḷhā asaṁhāriyā samaṇena vā brāhmaṇena vā devena vā mārena vā brahmunā vā kenaci vā lokasmiṁ, tassetaṁ kallaṁ vacanāya:

‘I am the Buddha’s true-born child, born from his mouth, born of principle, created by principle, heir to principle.’

‘bhagavatomhi putto oraso mukhato jāto dhammajo dhammanimmito dhammadāyādo’ti.

https://suttacentral.net/dn27/en/sujato
:alien:
WS_Can15 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:43 amAnd in the garava sutta it is said that the buddha worships and respects the dhamma.
Yes, dhamma as Law, Path & Liberating Truth. The word dhamma has many meanings.
2.In Buddhism, it does not recognize Mahabrahma as God who might be this figure who is worshiped by divine religions, if asked why the universe was created then they answer if the universe was created for humans as khalifah or to master other creations and when asked why there is a test towards humans who are so heavy that they answer, like children who are educated by their parents to be better. Then, what about Buddhism if asked the same thing and do they agree with their opinion?
Buddhism says the world is created by craving. Refer to SN 12.44. However, the word "world" does not necessarily mean "physical world". AN 4.45 says the "world" arises & ceases within this six foot long body with perception & thought.
Dhamma Niyama is not about the "regulator" of the universe but instead about how conditioned things are characterized by "conditionality" ("idappaccayata"; refer to SN 12.20), impermanence, unsatisfactoriness & not-self (refer to AN 3.136).
4. I still don't understand about aspiration or sacca vaca, is that a prayer and what is the difference? Who answered that prayer?
:shrug:
5. I have heard a lecture on the Ratana Sutta, in the lecture it says that the determining factor for the paritta to come to fruition is who is reciting it. Is there any reference to this?
6. There is a sutta which says that the Buddha remembers one birth and so on, who were we before that one birth? Did we not exist before then someone created? ask for his glorious enlightenment and dhamma friends, may everyone get health blessings🙏
The Visuddhimagga discusses the meaning of "birth", page 510, paragraph 32. .
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
WS_Can15

Post by WS_Can15 »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:14 pm
WS_Can15 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:43 am 1. I read the aganna sutta, it says "born of Dhamma, created by Dhamma, a descendant of Dhamma." does that mean the entire universe is a dhamma creation?
The phrase above is about the Buddha's enlightened disciples.
But only when someone has faith in the Realized One—settled, rooted, and planted deep, strong, not to be shifted by any ascetic or brahmin or god or Māra or Brahmā or by anyone in the world—is it appropriate for them to say:

Yassa kho panassa, vāseṭṭha, tathāgate saddhā niviṭṭhā mūlajātā patiṭṭhitā daḷhā asaṁhāriyā samaṇena vā brāhmaṇena vā devena vā mārena vā brahmunā vā kenaci vā lokasmiṁ, tassetaṁ kallaṁ vacanāya:

‘I am the Buddha’s true-born child, born from his mouth, born of principle, created by principle, heir to principle.’

‘bhagavatomhi putto oraso mukhato jāto dhammajo dhammanimmito dhammadāyādo’ti.

https://suttacentral.net/dn27/en/sujato
:alien:
WS_Can15 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:43 amAnd in the garava sutta it is said that the buddha worships and respects the dhamma.
Yes, dhamma as Law, Path & Liberating Truth. The word dhamma has many meanings.
Buddhism says the world is created by craving. Refer to SN 12.44. However, the word "world" does not necessarily mean "physical world". AN 4.45 says the "world" arises & ceases within this six foot long body with perception & thought.
Dhamma Niyama is not about the "regulator" of the universe but instead about how conditioned things are characterized by "conditionality" ("idappaccayata"; refer to SN 12.20), impermanence, unsatisfactoriness & not-self (refer to AN 3.136).
The Visuddhimagga discusses the meaning of "birth", page 510, paragraph 32. .
thanks for the answer, I still don't understand, if the world was created from craving then who created lust? Who created ignorance? did it happen by coincidence? what about the divine religious opinion that humans are like children, a tough test that occurs is like parenting a child?
"With faith as seed and practice,
rain and learning as my yoke and plough;
my plough-pole, conscientiousness,
memory, goad and ploughshare both."
(Sn 1.4)
asahi

Post by asahi »

WS_Can15 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:09 pm I still don't understand, if the world was created from craving then who created lust? Who created ignorance? did it happen by coincidence? what about the divine religious opinion that humans are like children, a tough test that occurs is like parenting a child?
The physical world cannot be said created by craving . The Buddha said there is craving all the time in our daily lives towards sense objects and it led to suffering at the end .
Buddha didnt explain the first cause or origins or how the universe come into being because the universe always get manifested , destroyed and again manifested destroyed in a cycle . Ignorance in Buddhism means not knowing how the suffering occurs or comes into being . Buddhism didnt speak of creator like other religions . The sole purpose of learning dhamma is to eliminate suffering .
No bashing No gossiping
WS_Can15

Post by WS_Can15 »

asahi wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:42 pm
WS_Can15 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:09 pm I still don't understand, if the world was created from craving then who created lust? Who created ignorance? did it happen by coincidence? what about the divine religious opinion that humans are like children, a tough test that occurs is like parenting a child?
The physical world cannot be said created by craving . The Buddha said there is craving all the time in our daily lives towards sense objects and it led to suffering at the end .
Buddha didnt explain the first cause or origins or how the universe come into being because the universe always get manifested , destroyed and again manifested destroyed in a cycle . Ignorance in Buddhism means not knowing how the suffering occurs or comes into being . Buddhism didnt speak of creator like other religions . The sole purpose of learning dhamma is to eliminate suffering .
yes I know that but in Buddhism it says if God is merciful why humans are given different tough tests then in the divine religion it will answer if humans are like children who are educated by parents. :anjali:
(Sn 1.4)
asahi

Post by asahi »

WS_Can15 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:04 pm yes I know that but in Buddhism it says if God is merciful why humans are given different tough tests then in the divine religion it will answer if humans are like children who are educated by parents. :anjali:
Buddhism didnt say that , but probably some buddhists . What tests ? Does an aborted baby get the chance to go through trials ? According to Islam if they manage to be born in heaven they would get 72 goddess as their wives but that has to wait until doomsday after the resurrection . For Christian they are not that lucky i guess . :broke:
No bashing No gossiping
WS_Can15

Post by WS_Can15 »

asahi wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:42 pm
WS_Can15 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:04 pm yes I know that but in Buddhism it says if God is merciful why humans are given different tough tests then in the divine religion it will answer if humans are like children who are educated by parents. :anjali:
Buddhism didnt say that , but probably some buddhists . What tests ? Does an aborted baby get the chance to go through trials ? According to Islam if they manage to be born in heaven they would get 72 goddess as their wives but that has to wait until doomsday after the resurrection . For Christian they are not that lucky i guess . :broke:
your answer is enlightening, thank you, but in jataka it says so. :anjali:
(Sn 1.4)
WS_Can15

Post by WS_Can15 »

but I have another question, what if they answer if the test that comes is to make humans more mature in the future? how do you think about this?
There is another answer, if God knows that later humans will disobey but still create because there must be a good purpose likened to parents who already know that their children are not always obedient but still have children, what do you think? I also understand it from a Buddhist point of view but I have a hard time composing sentences😂😂
(Sn 1.4)