Hello from New York City

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
eldritchmoon88

Hello from New York City

Post by eldritchmoon88 »

Hi all, I see the introduction thread and thought it would be useful. I am a near absolute beginner. I have some very light experience with meditation, and have read maybe one or two books, and have been to a Buddhist temple twice.

I have a long and painful history with religion. I grew up in an abusive cult, by abusive I mean physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, and sexually. I was able to escape with my mother and sister as a teenager.

Since then I have wandered the gambit from Roman Catholicism, to Islam, to Eastern Orthodox Christianity, to European paganism, and back and forth between them, for about 17 years.

However, the whole time, Buddhism has always called to me from what I know of it. I am going to surrender to that call, and begin to take this seriously, as I believe it's the only way I can find inner peace.

I live in New York City. I am married. I have 6 children.
Thanks for reading.
JamesTheGiant

Re: Hello from New York City

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Welcome! The only thing I know of New York is from tv shows, and seeing it nearly destroyed in countless Hollywood films.
Have you seen this sequenced recommendation list?
viewtopic.php?p=601498#p601498

Welcome welcome!
eldritchmoon88

Post by eldritchmoon88 »

Thank you!

I am going to start reading 'What Buddhists believe" by K Sri Dhammananda as soon as I can find my Kindle! :twothumbsup:
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Welcome :hello:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Since then I have wandered the gambit from Roman Catholicism, to Islam, to Eastern Orthodox Christianity, to European paganism, and back and forth between them, for about 17 years.
Welcome to DW.
You sound like Buddha who went to many teachers before his enlightenment.
:D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

I am going to surrender to that call
Well, this depends on exactly what you mean by "surrender to a call". Many people who didn't grow up Buddhist have probably felt called to the dhamma. I know I was. But the foundation of the practice must be the Four Noble Truths and the framework of the Noble Eightfold Path. To realize these truths, the practice of virtue is required: the 5, 8, 10, or monk's precepts. All of these depend on the insight that 1) suffering is caused by clinging and ultimately by ignorance and 2) we often cling to unreliable refuges because of suffering, which causes not only more suffering but also bad behavior. If you want to really get out of that cycle, you can take refuge in the Triple Gem and practice according to the teachings. But just "surrendering" to a call isn't going to be a sturdy enough foundation without these insights.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

May you fulfill your deepest wish for truth and happiness.

:anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
Jgood

Post by Jgood »

Hello from Jersey City, neighbor!